Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: perfect 1911

(Armstrong County)

Default perfect 1911

Has anyone ever thought about the perfect 1911A1? What would it have, what would make it better than others? Is there any out there that are great but with out the top dollar price of a Kimber or Springfield? I am looking to build one. My intended use will be for compition shooting, IE 3 gun matches. I also want it to be reliable 100% and double as a carry gun. What do people recommend from experience.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: perfect 1911

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    Has anyone ever thought about the perfect 1911A1? What would it have, what would make it better than others? Is there any out there that are great but with out the top dollar price of a Kimber or Springfield? I am looking to build one. My intended use will be for compition shooting, IE 3 gun matches. I also want it to be reliable 100% and double as a carry gun. What do people recommend from experience.
    Unfortunately the price of entry for a really worked 1911 will easily creep toward $2,500 and beyond. One of the decisions you'll want to make is carry vs. competition - Do you sacrifice barrel length during competition or sacrifice a small compact package for carry?

I have a Wilson Combat CQB and it is a fantastic gun. Trigger breaks at a smooth 3lbs. Shoots like a dream.

Good luck!

(Armstrong County)

I dont think that has to be true. I know many people, myself included, who carry both cc and oc a 5" 1911a1 goverment model. Im not looking for a 6" longslide. As to the $2500, your correct, thats the problem. It dosent need to be that expensive. Look at kimber, they are over priced and only about 50% reliable, one gun will be great, the next jams every 20th round. Thats not acceptable. They make them too tight and they jam up. The "GI" spec 1911's are 100% reliable, but suffer some accracy loss due to slopy tolerences. If you tighten up tolerences, with out going overboard, you get reliability and accuracy. Look at a glock (different animinal I know). Its not too tight or too loose, its reliable and accurate.
    Last edited by thetruepyromaniak; May 10th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    I know many people, myself included, who carry both cc and oc a 5" 1911a1 goverment model. .
    me too

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...field-trp.html

(Susquehanna County)

AFAIC the "perfect" M1911 would be the A1 military design with a larger ramp style front sight and larger tactical fixed rear sight and a lowered and flared ejection port. Nothing else is needed (imho) on the gun and the only accessory item is 10 round mags.

So if you want a good "tactical" gun get one that's essentially a G.I. model with improved sights and have a good gunsmith do a "half-accuracy" and reliability job on it. Just don't go nuts and tighten it to Bullseye standard. Take a look at Les Baer or STI or Wilson

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    AFAIC the "perfect" M1911 would be the A1 military design........Nothing else is needed (imho) on the gun.....................

there fixed it for ya.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Westmoreland County)

What type of 3 Gun are you shooting? USPSA, Outlaw, etc?

What class will your rifle be in?

How serious are you going to be about competing?
    Last edited by hzox221; May 10th, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Bedford County)

The STI SPARTAN comes to mind here...

There is no way you can build a better shooting gun for $650. Most base models start in the upper 4's to low 5's and you need to work them from that point. The Spartan is also factory backed in the service dept if you would ever need it.

Don't get me wrong...there are alot of great factory guns in the upper $800 + range. But the Spartan is ready to go right out of the box. And they shoot like a dream.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

"Mil-Spec" 1911-A1, w/humped, (serrated or checked) backstrap

But: (in order of my preference)
    !. with a mid-length standard-weight trigger with overtravel stop,
    2. trigger to 4.0 lbs, (under not so good, but over by 3 oz, still OK)
    3. Wider, ramped front sight
    4. rounded, no-snag rear sight
    5. lowered, beveled ejection port
    6. tighten the slide just the least amount
    7. Fit the barrel and link properly but not too tight, either
    8. Stippling on the front of the grip is nice, but not neccesary.

That will give you the best compromise for relaibility and accuracy, without making the thing a real nightmare to use or service. Not too tight, not too loose. Good trigger, good grip, good sights, and useful for carry, competition, or whatever. The best of all possible. More than that is gilding the lily, in my opinion.

J M B knew what he was doing.

Flash

(Westmoreland County)

Three gun competitions are a totally different beast than normal pistol action shooting. Belt management becomes paramont, especially if you are shooting multigun stages. Having enough pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo, holster, etc on your belt is a science in itself. You want to have enough to take murphey's law into account. The bigger your waist the less of a problem it is.

So taking that into account, unless you are in a Heavy Metal division, I would not use a single stack 1911. If you are shooting a USPSA match or any other that have minor/major scoring you want a high cap 40 S&W. If it is a outlaw match or minor only scoring then a high cap 9mm.

I probably would look for an STI Eagle/Edge or a Para P16/P18.

My standard Multi Gun Belt has the following on it.
    Blade Tech DOH Holster
    Two Pistol Mag Pouches
    2 Calf Comp Work Shotgun Strippers
    1 Blade Tech AR Mag Pouch

Depending on the stage, I will add or subtract Shotgun Strippers, drop leg mag pouches, drop leg holsters, bandoliers, forearm ammo carriers.

If you are shooting a 1911 then you will need 2-2.5X more mag pouches on your belt.
    Last edited by hzox221; May 11th, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast