Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Ruger MKII + Burris FastFire 2

This looks like it will work. The stock rear sight took a bit of work drifting out. I ended up pressing it out so I wouldn't scratch it up.

Getting the FastFire on required a bit of effort too. The screws are rather short and it is necessary to compress the gasket to get them to engage the threads in the dovetail insert.

The 4MOA dot really is good under all lighting conditions thanks to the ambient light sensor. It's a bit difficult to acquire under extreme low light when you can't even see the sight. I doubt that will be an issue in normal use.

As you can see, the sight is fairly low profile. It does not look at all out of place on an MKII.

I got mine here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-f...ire-sight.html

Less expensive than the Eotech and Bushnell clones. Smaller too.

I don't think I will test the alleged submergibility of the sight in water. But on those really damp days, I will feel better knowing that it is water proof.

(York County)

Default Re: Ruger MKII + Burris FastFire 2

Yeh I saw one and thought of possibly putting one one my mkIII. Hey let us know how it does..... I have seen them used even on shotguns.

(Centre County)

can you tell me little more about how its mounted? What do you mean gasket?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I'm inspired now.

Let us know how well that set up works for you.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    can you tell me little more about how its mounted? What do you mean gasket?
    Certainly. The sight is available with a standard picatinny mount or no mount. The waterproof version, the FastFire 2 as opposed to just the FastFire, includes a rubber gasket that goes between the mount plate and the sight. The battery is between the gasket and the sight and gets held in place by a magnet. The FastFire 2 is attached to the mounting plate by two screws with lock washers.

The dovetail in question is a separate piece from the rounded plate that fits on the MKII receiver. It slides into the dovetail. Then you put the plate on top of that with the gasket between the plate and the sight.

By compressing by hand the sight to the plate and getting things lined up, you can then successfully screw down the sight. The dovetail insert pulls up in the dovetail cutout in the receiver. The plate lines up with it via the screw holes. There is also a cutout for the take down pin that protrudes through the receiver.

I do not yet know if the sight will hold zero when removed and reinstalled. The manual claims a battery life of up to four years in low light. My experience with a Trijicon Reflex sight that uses tritium power suggests this is a much better way to go. The dot is much, much brighter. And replacing a battery is far simpler than fixing something under NRC regulations.

The tools required to attach the sight and zero the sight are included. There is even a pair of lock screws in the back of the sight to hold the zero in place once you are happy with it.

Burris claims the sight can handle 1000gs of acceleration for mounting on the slide of pistols such as a Glock. I have not tested that.

My plans for the sight are to use it instead of the iron sights on the target version of the MKII in conjunction with some form of Form-1 suppressor. I believe this will produce a most useful general purpose target pistol.
    Last edited by Fudmottin; May 10th, 2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling

(Chester County)

Thread Necro!

I'm thinking about doing this - anyone use one like this? Is the dot sharp enough to be useful at 50 yards?

(Delaware County)

It may be my eyes. Or my eye glasses. The dot is more of a blur of light on the reflex lens than a true round dot. At 50 yards it should be fine. If you can shoot into an inch at that range, the FF should help you do that. But I would not rank this sight on the top shelf.

However, it is very compact. That is an important feature to me on an MKII.

(Chester County)

I hear glare can be a problem... and I don't do a lot of shooting out in the field. I might just get an UltraDot for it. Thanks for the feedback!

(Chester County)

Because I like necro'ing threads... I figured I would.

I just bought a setup like this for my ruger. Can't wait for it to arrive and get it out to the range.

This is my set-up also, and it's the most accurate handgun I have. I also removed that lethally sharp front sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast