Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default ok berks people lets get talking

im looking to bring life to this forum......id like to know what kind of places people like to shoot at, if you like to shoot for practice, self defence or hunting, what kind of guns you have and like.......i know you are out there, now get talking

(Berks County)

Hey billy-

I live in Reading-near Albright College.

I have only one gun, a Glock 17. I have been going to French Creek Outfitters for an indoor range because its nice and so are the people. I was going to go to the Gun Gallery off 422 business but those people were jerks when I went in there. I believe they are now under investigation for straw purchases.

I just recently moved to Berks County, so i don't have any friends that go shooting (most aren't old enough to own a handgun). It would be cool if some of the Berks County people in this forum could get together and join a local club and go shooting together.

Do you guys know anything about a shooting range at the Blue Marsh lake state game land?

(Berks County)

I heard there is one there at Blue Marsh...drive by it dang near every day (I live in Northern Berks)...haven't seen it.

I will try to find out though, bad thing with the Game Land ranges kind of frown on high capacity rifles and rapid fire. The ranges that also do pistol, are usually better.

I currently shoot up in Schuykill county with friends, don't belong to any clubs yet myself.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I heard there is one there at Blue Marsh...drive by it dang near every day (I live in Northern Berks)...haven't seen it.

I will try to find out though, bad thing with the Game Land ranges kind of frown on high capacity rifles and rapid fire. The ranges that also do pistol, are usually better.

I currently shoot up in Schuykill county with friends, don't belong to any clubs yet myself.
    Yeah, I hear that game lands restrict you to 6 rounds in a mag for a handgun and 3 rounds for a rifle. Is that true?

(Berks County)

havent heard anything bout game lands, but i do wish that it was easier to find places to shoot and not be resticted to have to find someone to join a gun club.....there should be places that you pay monthly and not have to do all the other crap involved in a gun club.....just shoot

(Berks County)

I haven't been able to get a hold of Mohnton via phone, but I just got a reply back by e-mail. I'm not 100% positive, but it doesn't look like you need a sponsor to join their club. I'm going to go there today and fill out an application.

Here is the e-mail:

"To join our club you only need to go to the club house during normal open *hours and talk to the bartender to get an application which may not be removed from the club. After filling out the application and paying $40.00 you must then attend a one hour orientation and then be approved at a general meeting. Yearly dues after the first year are $20.00. I you have any further questions, email me at NraMbr4Lif@aol.com which is my personal email address. Thank you!
    Dennis Eichley, Recording Secretary, MF&G

PS: *Normal hours are Mon. thru Fri. - 6:30 p.m. to 11:00; Sat. - 4:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.; Sunday - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (these hours are for the club house only, not the ranges, which are open all day)"

(Berks County)

I'm a member of both the Muhlenberg Range and the Mohnton Rod and Gun Club. Both are excellent ranges. I do tend to prefer the Muhlenberg range at times, as you don't need to follow set shooting ranges. If you want to move closer to the target you can. They don't have set stations you have to shoot from.
    Yeah I'm bitching!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by grahamfsw View Post
    Hey billy-

I live in Reading-near Albright College.

I have only one gun, a Glock 17. I have been going to French Creek Outfitters for an indoor range because its nice and so are the people. I was going to go to the Gun Gallery off 422 business but those people were jerks when I went in there. I believe they are now under investigation for straw purchases.

I just recently moved to Berks County, so i don't have any friends that go shooting (most aren't old enough to own a handgun). It would be cool if some of the Berks County people in this forum could get together and join a local club and go shooting together.

Do you guys know anything about a shooting range at the Blue Marsh lake state game land?

Glock 19 owner here. French Creek is very nice, I like the people, never used the range. Wish they were alot closer. The Gun Gallery is a friggin ripoff, I've never seen so many overpriced guns.

(Berks County)

Default Re: ok berks people lets get talking

Quote Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
    Glock 19 owner here. French Creek is very nice, I like the people, never used the range. Wish they were alot closer. The Gun Gallery is a friggin ripoff, I've never seen so many overpriced guns.
    French Creek outfitters has no real deals. French Creek offered me $ 150 as trade in on a Colt Delta Elite -NRA Excellent condition (They were gonna do me a big favor they said for $ 150). I took the gun somwhere else and received $ 500 and there was no purchase required. Another time, I had a NIB Colt looking to trade, French Creek told me they had to fire it else they would not take it. I looked at the guy and said I bet it goes BOOM when you pull the trigger (It was still in the wrapper from Colt). Again took it some where else are received 25% more because it was NIB then French Creek was even offering..

Gun Gallary - They do charge more then most for the offerings. The store could use a cleaning, but I understand the owner has had Medical Problems - so he may not be keeping up with the market..
    Last edited by nra-life-member; October 22nd, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

Default Re: ok berks people lets get talking

Quote Originally Posted by nra-life-member View Post
    French Creek outfitters has no real deals. French Creek offered me $ 150 as trade in on a Colt Delta Elite -NRA Excellent condition (They were gonna do me a big favor they said for $ 150). I took the gun somwhere else and received $ 500 and there was no purchase required. Another time, I had a NIB Colt looking to trade, French Creek told me they had to fire it else they would not take it. I looked at the guy and said I bet it goes BOOM when you pull the trigger (It was still in the wrapper from Colt). Again took it some where else are received 25% more because it was NIB then French Creek was even offering..
    Yeah, they won't give you a good price on trade-ins. I asked them about a trade-in once and the guy told me to not even bother as I could get better prices elsewhere. Atleast they're honest!

Gun Gallary - They do charge more then most for the offerings. The store could use a cleaning, but I understand the owner has had Medical Problems - so he may not be keeping up with the market..
    Everything in that store is a ripoff. It seems like the store is well stocked, but prices are 10-20% higher than any other gun stores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast