Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Remington 700ADL .30-06 magazine feed problem

I just purchased a used 700ADL in .30-06 caliber that was made in 1990.

The gun appears to have an unsteady spring that pushes the magazine follower up to feed the cartridges. It is almost acts like a see saw.

If I load the shells by pushing down and to the rear (as I do in my Savage Model 110), the magazine follower tends to rock down to the rear and the bolt does not reach the rear edge of the shell to push it into the chamber. When it does catch the edge, the shell tends to misfeed high with the point rising out of the receiver.

If I load it to the front of the magazine the first shell seems to be ok, but after that the rest tend to rock back also.

Could someone tell me if this indicates that the magazine spring (W shaped) has lost its power?

Also, it is difficult to reassemble the stock to the barrel and get the lower end of th spring to stay in the indentation in the stock which would hold the lower end more towards the back.

All of the components (magazine, spring and follower) look like new, but I have been unable to load a full magazine of 4 into the chamber without one or two misfeeds out of the four.

Is this a common problem?

Capt. Art

Default Re: Remington 700ADL .30-06 magazine feed problem

Success!

Comparing photos from another 700ADL I noticed that the correct spring placement was to the rear of the magazine follower whereas mine was all the way forward.

Once I repositioned the magazine spring to the rear of the follower, it loads fine.

Thanks for your great advice.

Default Re: Remington 700ADL .30-06 magazine feed problem

I got here a little late, you already figured it out. LOL, I was just fixing to tell you that it sounded like the spring was on the wrong side, or the follower wasn't all the way down on the long part of the spring. Glad you got it working.