Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Exclamation SB842 Bill needed to pass in Pennsylvania

Hello all I'm new to the forum I just want to say Hello and get right to a very important topic that effects all of us here in Pa, Ladies and Gentleman, Bill SB842 is a bill we need to pass, it allows us the right to protect ourselves and our homes, the NRA-ILA has emailed me and has told me to contact them urging them to pass this bill in Pennsylvania, The web site to contact these people is

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...?cde=19&body=S

Please go there and e-mail everyone of them.. Let them know that we want to be able to protect ourselves against violent crimes and to pass bill SB842!

I will stop back for a more formal introduction but for now Hello to all,

Thank you,
    Gt
    Last edited by Gtbullet; May 6th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

(Juniata County)

Default Re: SB842 Bill needed to pass in Pennsylvania

Got the same email. Curious though, does it go to the judiciary committee and then up for vote? Anyone know just how this works?

(Montgomery County)

I don't really know how that works, the way I took it and by the language they used in the email it sounded like these are the people making the decision on the bill. That’s a really good question. Wow, I feel ashamed that I, we don't know. Holy no wonder we're having so many problems. At least we know what’s going on, LOl, This is a very serious bill that we all need to voice our opinions on in this state. We need to make sure that we do everything we can to protect our Second Amendment Rights in this country. If we fail to do so they will surly strip our rights away.

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the government. Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Gt

(Montgomery County)

May 6, 2009

Senator Greenleaf – Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committee

711 York Road
    Willow Grove, PA 19090

Dear Senator Greenleaf,

The intent of this email is to encourage the Senate Judiciary Committee to support SB842 - Castle Doctrine Self-Defense Bill.

I understand that SB842 was recently introduced into the Senate Judiciary Committee to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners in Pennsylvania.

I strongly feel that it is time we allow law-abiding citizens to stand their ground to protect themselves and their family. Everyday I hear and see where more and more of the general public is worried about police protection and/or the accessibility of it. To many times people are afraid to protect themselves in fear of lawsuits. SB842 would protect individuals from civil lawsuits by the attacker or the attacker’s family when force is used. I read stories everyday from other states where law abiding men and women successfully defend themselves and their families from vicious attacks by using firearms. As the law in PA is interpreted now, if I am in my backyard playing with my kids and an attacker comes upon us we must first make an attempt to retreat or otherwise be exposed to possible lawsuits. SB842 clearly states that there would be no “duty to retreat” from an attacker. The last thing I want to worry about being sued for protecting my 3 year old twin boys in my own back yard.

I sincerely appreciate the role you and the other Senators play in shaping our country.

Respectfully,

(Montgomery County)

Wow, Willow Grove is down the street from me, I'm in Elkins Park....
    Gt

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
    Got the same email. Curious though, does it go to the judiciary committee and then up for vote? Anyone know just how this works?
    All bills in legislatures throughout the country are passed into law in roughly the same way. Take for example a bill which originates in the Senate of a legislature:

- A Senator or Senators author a bill
    - The author(s) ask for other Senate sponsors as a way to show the rest of the Senate who and how many are interested in the bill
    - The bill is submitted to a Senate committee for review
    - The committee majority chair determines if the bill will be tabled (not given consideration) or reviewed in a committee meeting.
    - If the bill is determined by the committee chair to be given consideration, it's discussed and a vote is taken to determine if the Full Senate should vote on it
    - If a majority vote is obtained, the bill goes to the Senate floor for a vote.
    - On the floor, Senators debate the bill and vote on amendments other Senators may wish to add on
    - Once all the debate is finished and amendments are voted on, the bill (along with any amendments that were successfully added by vote) is put up for general vote on the floor.
    - If a majority vote is obtained, the bill is considered approved by the Senate and moves on to the House to be voted on
    - In the house, the bill is debated and considered. If House members wish, they may also add amendments to the bill which are then voted on in the House. If Amendments are approved, the bill with the House amendments must go back to the Senate to be reviewed.
    - This back-and-forth continues until both the House and Senate agree on the bill and its related amendments. Once approved by both the Senate and House, the bill is considered passed and sent to the head of the Executive (President, Governor, etc.) to be signed into law.
    - The Head Executive can either sign the bill, or veto it. If vetoed, the bill does not become law unless the Legislature can override the veto.

The process is the same, with the steps reversed if the bill is introduced in the House.

So, to start on SB842, contact ALL the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, especially the chair, and make sure they know you not only want this bill considered, but brought up for vote in committee.

Once the bill passes out of committee, contact your Senator and House Representative, and let them know you want their vote in the affirmative when this bill comes to the floor.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Sent emails out to all on the committee :-)

(Montgomery County)

I emailed all as well, Now all we have to do is get everyone else to do the same and well, we could get this one passed into law barring we get the senate and the house to agree on it and of course our Liberal President to sign it. If not we're just going to have too over ride him and force him to realize that his constituents have the final say.. :-)
    Gt

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtbullet View Post
    I emailed all as well, Now all we have to do is get everyone else to do the same and well, we could get this one passed into law barring we get the senate and the house to agree on it and of course our Liberal President to sign it.
    President has nothing to do with this. This is a Pennsylvania thing, not a US thing

(Montgomery County)

So the committee can pass this in Pa without Washington?
    Gt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast