Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default long term walther pps reviews

I am interested in hearing from owners of the PPS who have had them for a few months or longer as to how the gun is functioning over time. Is it reliable, does it fire well, are there problems or annoyances that have crept up?

thanks

Default Re: long term walther pps reviews

I assume you mean PPK/s. I've had one in 380 since the late 90s. Was trouble free till this year when it started having problems feeding and the decocking lever was rough and could only be put in safe with hammer stress removed. Cost me over $100 to get it fixed, but works better than ever now. The gun smith told me a couple of the parts were most likely bad out of the factory, but the warranty is only 1 year so no recourse. BTW had about 500 rounds through it when it starting acting up.

No sir I'm talking about the pps...atleast that's what their website calls it http://www.walther-pps.com/ comes in 9mm and .40 s&w

I just got one in 9mm today and only had time to put 50 rounds of 115gr FMJ's through it. Probably not the length of term you're looking for. But I did my homework before buying.

As per my online research, there have been two bugs.

Number one (acknowledged by Walther) with "some" pistols from early batches. It is the slide lock problem, where the spring of the slide lock would slip off and get stuck under the lock, preventing it from being pushed down so the slide would be stuck locked. This is a really serious problem, and since it requires major surgery, impossible to fix under fire. Walther said some of the springs were not to specs and they changed to a different supplier. Looking into the frame from the top (didn't look at a diagram yet), the spring seems to be just a piece of wire, or maybe a wire with one or two loops in it. I can imagine that if it is bent the wrong way, it can develop a tendency to jump off to the side. Making sure it is bent correctly or that there is not enough space for the spring to slip underneath the slide lock would solve that problem. I trust them that this is fixed.

Number two is something I only found lately and seems to be more common with the .40 version than the 9mm. The problem is that the slide does not go back all the way to lock the round in the chamber and needs a little slap in the neck. To some it seems a break in problem, that goes away with round count. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this one yet, and I have not found anything that would explain the problem at a technical detail level that would allow to point at a specific part of the pistol. Lots of speculations, as usual, but no "smoking gun" as of yet.

I know, this wasn't exactly what you asked for. Hope it was useful anyway.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Jan,
    It was useful and i knew about some of the problems that you cited. I did a search here and saw that some of the memebers here had the same problem. I was hoping for some of the members who posted about the PPS before would join in. The rest of the guns I'm looking at are pretty solid from what I can find but I want to know more about this gun before I make a final decision.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd steer clear, based on my experience.

I had a 9mm model; in the first couple hundred rounds it had multiple FTF/FTE's. More concerning was the frequency with which the trigger would fail to reset, remaining locked in the rearward position after firing. It would only reset after several energetic cycles of racking the slide.

Since this is unacceptable in a working gun, I sent it back to S&W/Walther. To their credit, they were quick and easy to work with. They informed me that the gun could not be repaired and sent a replacement. I immediately sold the replacement.

Some people have been happy with them; my experience is based on one gun...so set your risk tolerance meter accordingly. I, however, would not trust this pistol.

Last edited by mikey; February 11th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.

well so far i'm 50/50 for reviews...was hoping for better but I'd rather have honesty then nothing so please keep them coming. The only two things I don't like about this gun, not that I've shot it yet, are the mag size and the price
    Last edited by cigarmanpa; May 9th, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

anyone else?

(Delaware County)

Ugh. I've just been talked out of even looking at that gun. I've got an Interarms imported P99 which I thought had problems until it magically became very reliable after a break in period. I guess all autos, regardless of manufacturer, should have 200 rounds or so run through them before being trusted. I mean consecutive trouble free rounds.

I also have an Interarms made PPK/S which has not achieved that goal yet.

I think if I was looking for a pocket gun in 9x19mm, I would be looking at Kahr. Yes, I know they are expensive. Kel-Tec is a lot cheaper, but I'm not really trusting them. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast