Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: long term walther pps reviews

I have had my PPS 9mm for about 6 months; have fired about 500 rounds of various ammo. Absolutely flawless. I could not be happier. However, based on my reccomendation a friend aquired one and has had to send it back twice to S&W for repair. This would seem inconsistent; one absolutely flawless specimen and a second one that is a lemon.
    S&W has returned the gun each time within 5 days however my friend has declared it unreliable and will not use it as a carry piece. I retired my SIG 239 and now use the Walther exclusively.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    ... a friend aquired one and has had to send it back twice to S&W for repair. This would seem inconsistent; one absolutely flawless specimen and a second one that is a lemon.
    S&W has returned the gun each time within 5 days however my friend has declared it unreliable and will not use it as a carry piece...
    Barry,

Can you tell us specifically what problems your friend has had with his PPS?

Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Number two is something I only found lately and seems to be more common with the .40 version than the 9mm. The problem is that the slide does not go back all the way to lock the round in the chamber and needs a little slap in the neck. To some it seems a break in problem, that goes away with round count. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this one yet, and I have not found anything that would explain the problem at a technical detail level that would allow to point at a specific part of the pistol. Lots of speculations, as usual, but no "smoking gun" as of yet.
    I would guess this is from the springs in the magazine being to strong. A bit of time carrying it loaded will clear this up. My LCP did this to, but now after a year of carrying loaded magazines (with 5 instead of 6 though) it doesn't

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    Actually, I don't love any gun. let alone any brand. They're tools, like a hammer but a bit more complex. Frankly, when I can carry it, I much prefer a 1911.

I'm just mystified by people who buy a product, have some problem with it and don't even bother to seek help from the manufacturer to resolve the problem before they just go out and start bad mouthing the problem to an audience. My experience is that they usually don't really care about the problem, the simply want to whine. With something like a gun, it becomes all the more pathetic because unreported problems deprive the manufacturer of a chance to look at and correct a defect. When that happens the problem just continues and endangers others who may buy the model.

Did you at least tell the person you sold it to about the problem?
    When I buy a gun and it doesn't work properly I get rid of it. I don't want something that has manufacturers defects that need to be fixed. I will also trash that manufacturer at will for selling me a POS gun without giving them a chance to make it right. They had that chance at the factory and apparently their quality control sucks. I understand some guns do require a short break in period which I consider normal, but if it doesn't work right it's gone.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Number two is something I only found lately and seems to be more common with the .40 version than the 9mm. The problem is that the slide does not go back all the way to lock the round in the chamber and needs a little slap in the neck. To some it seems a break in problem, that goes away with round count. But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this one yet, and I have not found anything that would explain the problem at a technical detail level that would allow to point at a specific part of the pistol. Lots of speculations, as usual, but no "smoking gun" as of yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MontCo Alex View Post
    I would guess this is from the springs in the magazine being to strong. A bit of time carrying it loaded will clear this up. My LCP did this to, but now after a year of carrying loaded magazines (with 5 instead of 6 though) it doesn't

-Alex
    Contrary to popular belief, a metal spring under constant load does not fatigue.

The problem I described in the quote above is not something I experienced myself, but found others reporting on forums. In the mean time I have learned that most FTF problems with very compact 9mm and above, especially polymer frame pistols are attributed to limp wristing. So it is less a break in of the gun problem but more a break in of the owner that's happening there.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Montgomery County)

Contrary to popular belief, a metal spring under constant load does not fatigue.

The problem I described in the quote above is not something I experienced myself, but found others reporting on forums. In the mean time I have learned that most FTF problems with very compact 9mm and above, especially polymer frame pistols are attributed to limp wristing. So it is less a break in of the gun problem but more a break in of the owner that's happening there.

Jan
    I'm going to have to disagree. There are even calculations for it. http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...s_fatigue.html
    Now, a lot depends on the type of metal, gauge, how well its tempered, and how much it was tested/stressed at the factory. For example, a properly tempered and tested magazine spring probably won't experience much loss in force when compressed. It's hard to figure out a number, I'm not a spring engineer, but I would guess its exponentially decreasing, like 7% the first year, 5% after that, etc.

Comparing my two magazines, I've had them both for about a year. One was used as a carry mag with 5 rounds in it for almost a year, the other as a backup with 5 rounds for almost 3 months. The one used for a year defiantly has less resistance, especially when its near the top (IE with only one round its easier to push in). I don't have the equipment to measure it unfortunately.

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    Barry,

Can you tell us specifically what problems your friend has had with his PPS?

Thanks.
    Yes, what problems, and was this gun purchased new, or was it a used (and I quote from another top gun collector on this page) "POS" that some other impatient and unethical owner dumped on the market, without addressing or fixing the problems?

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    I am interested in hearing from owners of the PPS who have had them for a few months or longer as to how the gun is functioning over time. Is it reliable, does it fire well, are there problems or annoyances that have crept up?

thanks
    Have had my PPS .40 for 4 or 5 sessions, no trouble yet. Only had it for few months though. The PPS forum would be a god place to check.

I would guess this is from the springs in the magazine being to strong. A bit of time carrying it loaded will clear this up.
    I'm going to have to disagree. There are even calculations for it. http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...s_fatigue.html
    Please note that "constant load", as in "carrying it loaded" does NOT equal "continuously cyclic loading", as discussed in the article you linked to. Constant or static load does not change the compression of the spring, it is just keeping it compressed at one fixed setting. There is no fatigue to be expected from that spring. The continuously cyclic loading, the article is about, is a situation where the compression of the spring is changing all the time, like if you load and unload your mag 20 times a day for 3 years.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Warren County)

I've had mine for a little over a year and between my wife and I we've put about 500-600 rounds thru it. It's performace has been flawless, no issues what so ever. It's easy to shoot, very accurate. It's my carry piece, with a fobus paddle holster I hardly notice its there. My wife enjoys shooting, especially when compared to my friends Kahr CW9.

Tim
    Tim , USAF Ret.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast