Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Same suppressor, multiple guns?

I just seen this was moved to a different section I apologize, I overlooks the NFA/ portion of this section of the forum. TY for cleaning up after me.

Quote Originally Posted by AAC 762-SD description
    Fast Attach 7.62mm (.30) Silencer for Rifles & Light Machine Guns, New. The combat proven fast-attach mounting system of the 762-SD provides reliable, precision accuracy with minimal and repeatable zero-shift. Users have the ability to install or remove the silencer from the Phantom flash eliminator in seconds while being subjected to the harshest environments. Extraordinary sound and recoil reduction are two of the instant benefits of the 762-SD. Durability is maximized by CNC automated fusion welding every high-temperature aerospace alloy component used in its construction - making 100% suppressed fire possible. The back-pressure lowering design of the silencer aids in shooter comfort, reduces weapon fouling, and minimizes cyclic rate increase. As a final step, tapered-bore EDM technology is utilized to ensure precise bore alignment resulting in enhanced accuracy and maximum performance. The elimination of approximately 95% of the muzzle report nullifies the need for ear protection, preserves field communications, and masks the location of the shooter.

One fast attach flash hider included. 28 - 34 dB sound reduction dry. 8.75 Inches Long, 1.5 Inches in Diameter, 22 Ounces. Adds only 6.25 Inches to Weapon OAL.
    I was looking at the AAC 762-SD suppressor, like the one Delta115 has on his AR15. (Delta, I attached your AR pic, I hope you don't mind) I want to mount this on my AR15, and if possible, add a flash hider/quick attach to my Remington 700 .30-06 so I can use it on that gun as well.

My question is, do you think it will work, or should I look at other options?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sinful; January 21st, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Same suppressor, multiple guns?

First, you might want to check with the manufacturer of the can if it can handle the muzzle blast of the 30-06. If it can handle the blast and pressure, I'm sure it wont be as affective on the '06 as it would for a 7.62x39 or .308/7.62NATO.

Does that suppressor attach to the flash hider?? If it does, I dont see any reason why it wouldn't work on the Remmy once you have one of those flash hiders mounted to it. If it locks behind the flash hider, you may have to turn the barrel of the M700 immediately behind the hider down to the diameter of the AR15(7.62x39) barrel if it is larger.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

quick search on wikipedia yields

7.62x51mm NATO Maximum pressure 344.74 MPa (50,000 psi)
    .308 Winchester Maximum pressure 430 MPa (62,000 psi)
    .30-06 Springfield Maximum pressure 410 MPa

Mounting isn't an issue. You can mount it on anything from an HK to an Remington 700 to an AR.

As knight mention/questioned... It locks leaving a little room on the flash hider. You won't need to turn the barrel.

Anyone think of any other factors?

ETA:

Actually there is one thing I thought of. If you are looking at this option. Buy the M4-1000 flash adapter now (the old style one). Not sure how long they will sell it. If you look at the picture the new one (M4-2000) has very small dimples on it and isn't the same mount.
    Last edited by KeithPA; January 21st, 2008 at 11:08 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    quick search on wikipedia yields

7.62x51mm NATO Maximum pressure 344.74 MPa (50,000 psi)
    .308 Winchester Maximum pressure 430 MPa (62,000 psi)
    .30-06 Springfield Maximum pressure 410 MPa
    chamber pressures is not the same as MUZZLE pressure, which is what you have to worry about when using a suppressor...the blast against the baffles and mounting point stress.

A lot of that can depend on barrel length too, such as a 11" barrel on a AR15 will put a much higher pressure, and hotter muzzle blast on the cans primary blast baffle and expansion chamber than a 20" barrel.

remember too, you have to get each gun set up for the can, so frankly, its best to get the info from the manufacturer, not the end user on this matter...odds are the 7.62 can design is set up on the Phantom designed for 308, so you need to make sure your barrel is threadable to 5/8x24, thats the standard 308 thread for the phantom.

CALL AAC and ask for info on the 30-06, but chances are it'll be fine.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Warren County)

I emailed customer support before posting this. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

My AR15 has the 14.5 barrel with the 1.5 fixed suppressor. I'm guessing the quick release flash hider is the same or longer than the birdcage on it now, so that shouldn't violate any barrel length laws.

The 762 says it's for .30 cal models, so I figured my .30-06 qualified. I'm not sure what the barrel length is on my Remington 700 is, but it's quite a bit longer than my AR15 is.

Thanks everyone for your input so far. Pending some strange "hell no" email from AAC, I'm giving this idea the thumbs up. hehe.

I guess to keep this thread rolling, I'll pose the question, Can anyone recommend a good smith to put the flash hider on my AR15 and Remington 700?

I received an email from the vendor of AAC that i had googled. Apparently it wasn't AAC directly. *oops* Anyhow, here's what I got:
    Yes, that would work just fine. You only lose about 3 - 5 dB of sound
    reduction using a .30 suppressor on the .223 vs a dedicated .223
    suppressor, which isn't significant on a high power rifle. Thanks!
    I can't believe that the sound suppression is only 3-5db, Delta's AR sounded like a freaking .22 to me. *shrug*
    But that confirms it'll work just fine, and maybe I'll look at the .223 suppressor down the road. I'm guessing they all use the same flash hider.

So for now, I'm going to go on the hunt for the best prise on a AAC 762-SD, woo hoo!
    My question about a good gunsmith for mounting the flash hiders still stands. 8)
    Last edited by sinful; January 21st, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Zone1

(Montgomery County)

a 5/8x24 flashhider wont fit on the standard AR15 barrel without rethreading, aside form any issues removing the "perm attached" FH on the 14.5" barrel.

they dont make the phantom FH in 1/2x28 for 30 cal applications either, they DO NOT all use the same flashhider, note they specified the phantom, which is made by YHM. Phantoms for 223 and 308 aplications are of differing sizes.

you'll probably have to get another AR barrel to thread and set up for the FH, frankly, thats what I'd do, look for a 16" HB to have threaded.

you need to do a LOT more careful research on all your parts before buying anything
    Last edited by JayBell; January 21st, 2008 at 03:45 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    I can't believe that the sound suppression is only 3-5db, Delta's AR sounded like a freaking .22 to me. *shrug*
    But that confirms it'll work just fine, and maybe I'll look at the .223 suppressor down the road. I'm guessing they all use the same flash hider.

So for now, I'm going to go on the hunt for the best prise on a AAC 762-SD, woo hoo!
    My question about a good gunsmith for mounting the flash hiders still stands. 8)
    I read their reply as to mean you'd get 3-5db less overall suppression by using a .30 cal can on the AR-15 rather than if you had one made specifically for .223.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    a 5/8x24 flashhider wont fit on the standard AR15 barrel without rethreading, aside form any issues removing the "perm attached" FH on the 14.5" barrel.

they dont make the phantom FH in 1/2x28 for 30 cal applications either, they DO NOT all use the same flashhider, note they specified the phantom, which is made by YHM. Phantoms for 223 and 308 aplications are of differing sizes.

you'll probably have to get another AR barrel to thread and set up for the FH, frankly, thats what I'd do, look for a 16" HB to have threaded.

you need to do a LOT more careful research on all your parts before buying anything
    I'm definitely researching a LOT before making any purchase. That's why I came to you gurus.

I'm still researching, and I'm guessing the 5/8x24 and 1/2x24 is the thread pitch or something that the FH screws onto? If so, my .30.06 doesn't have any threading at all on the barrel, so I could have it machined to fit whatever thread I need to add the FH.

I agree, I'd definitely want to pick up a new barrel to be rethreaded. the 16" HB would be where I'd look when it gets to that point.

I'm 100% noob to suppressors, so if there's anytihng I'm seriously overlooking, feel free to lay it on me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    I read their reply as to mean you'd get 3-5db less overall suppression by using a .30 cal can on the AR-15 rather than if you had one made specifically for .223.
    After reading your comment and re-reading the email, I agree. DOH! hehe.

Thanks everyone that's helped. You've answered a lot of Qs and sprang up some more important ones I need to answer before making purchase.

If I end up with a .223 suppressor, will I need to get another barrel, or will I be able to have a gunsmith remove the fixed bird cage FH and put on the quick release FH for the suppressor and be good to go?
    Zone1

(Montgomery County)

correct, the thread pitch and diameter for common rifles is as follows, the smaller the following number, the coarser the thread:

generic 22lr suppressor thread is 1/2"x28 RH

old 22lr thread : 1/2" x20 RH

AK : 14x1mm LH

AK74 : 24x1mm (large front sight base thread)

AR-15 in 5.56: 1/2" x28 RH

AR-15 in 9mm : 1/2" x 36 RH

AR-10/BAR-10(generic 308 thread) : 5/8" x 24 RH

Brit L1A1 : 9/16" x 24 RH

Metric FAL(austrian StG58) : 9/16" x 24 LH

if your remingtom 700 is a heavy barrel, you should be able to get that threaded no problem, if its a light, or sporting contour, it may not have enought meat on the muzzle to thread properly to retain strength.

if i remember right, you want to start with a .750 at least to make sure the barrel has enough room to thread.

Threading must be done with use of a suppressor in mind, meaning the barrel MUST be threaded off the centerline of the BORE, not the outside diameter, not all rifle bores are centered in relation to the outside diameter of the barrel.

a standard CURRENT govt profile muzzle on a AR15 barrel is .750 from the front sight base on towards the muzzle, so if you get a "post ban" style, or a target crowned barrel you will be golden for having the barrel threaded at 5/8x24.

if you get a dedicated 223 suppressor, get a barrel threaded for it, or get the FH you have replaced on the barrel you have, none of the "QD" suppressors i have ever seen share the same FH or muzzle attachment for rifles, the FH and barrels are of different sizes and contours.

5/8 is a bigger diameter than 1/2, so obviously they are different devices on the muzzle.

they also do this to make sure you dont forget and stuff your 223 suppressor on your Rem 700 in 30 cal....the resulting damage to the suppresor should be spectacular

I myself have a 22lr suppressor, a 223 suppressor, and a 45acp suppressor..I never bothered purchaing a 30cal one, but i have experinces using them..its a neat thing to have, if not super useful to the average shooter.

also, be prepared for Fudds at the ranges to come up and give ya grief

(Lebanon County)

Most of the info on this thread is correct. For the AAC 762sd to work on a rem700 barrel you need to get the correct QD flash attachment from AAC. They make 2. One is for AR type weapon and the other is for bolt gun style. They are the 5/8x24 thread pattern for 308 guns. You will need a m4-1000 QD flash hider from AAC for your ar15, they will both work on the same suppressor, and are 1\2x28. If need be I have the blueprint for gunsmiths to use to thread barrels from AAC. I could send them too you if need be. The sound reduction for the SD on a 308 is around 30-35 DBL and 25 to 30 if used on the AR platform, both will be hearing safe. Keep in mind a 223 will not be hollywood quiet nor will the 308 unless you use subsonic rounds. They will work great in the bolt gun, but will not cycle the AR...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast