Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Suppressor and production questions

I realize that you may make and posses a suppressor for personal use while filling out the proper paper work, paying the taxes, and following the other protocol. The questions I have are: What paper work and legal process would you need to do to have someone make you one? Is it possible to make small quanities and sell? What is the process for this if it is possible?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Suppressor and production questions

I'm sure I'll get corrected if this is wrong...

To produce them for sale, I'm sure you'd need a FFL and one of the SOT's prior to manufacturing. With the FFL+SOT you should be exempt of the $200 build fees. However whatever excise taxes, licensing fees, SOT fees, state license fees, sales taxes, occupancy taxes, etc would have to be paid as part of a business..

To have someone else make one for you:
    1a. as a business they would need the FFL and SOT and you would have to do a transfer on a Form 4
    1b. as an individual the make the suppressor for themselves after filing a Form 1, then transfer it later to you on a Form 4.
    2. or, you participate enough in the manufacture of the suppressor to be considered the builder and do it under a Form 1. (sorta like building guns out of 80% receivers)
    Last edited by knight0334; May 5th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Suppressor and production questions

Knight is right.

For you to create a suppressor for personal use:
    1. You must have your Form 1 returned before you make the baffel. If not, you can get arrest for having an unlicensed suppressor

To create a suppressor for sale:
    1. You must setup a corp and get ok from your municipality to have a that business.
    2. You have to do all the filings, taxes, etc as you would for any other company.
    3. Then you would have to be an approved SOT 2 (I think it's a 2, there is a sticky somewhere with that info).

To have a company make a suppressor for you to sell.
    1. They would have to go through the process above
    2. You would have to be FFL that deals with title II items. Again, forget the correct number, I think it's FFL/03. To become an FFL, you would have to go through all the standard business issues as mentioned in the previous example.

As a side note, I haven't be able to complete confirm this ... but I believe as a manufacturer you have to pay the State Department $2250 /year.

Jaybell, Pa Patriot, or someone else, please correct me if any of that incorrect, but I'm 99% sure that the info is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF