Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Mossberg 500 pistol grip replacement question

Hi all, thanks in advance for any suggestions or help you can provide.

I purchased a used Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip a year or so back. recently bough a Hogue full size stock and foreend replacement so it'd be more useful to hunt with.

A few questions, sorry if they're stupid...

So, does a shotgun have to come from the factory with a pistol grip? I was under the impression there was an overall length factor in play. The reason I ask is because once I replace the pistol grip with the full size stock, I may want to revert back to the pistol grip in the future. Does anyone know of concerns in doing so?

If anyone knows of instructions or a video of how to replace the pistol grip and forend with the replacement stock, please link me up.

Thanks to all for any assistance.

Default Re: Mossberg 500 pistol grip replacement question

To replace it, unscrew the bolt at the rear of the grip. To install the stock, line it up and reattach the bolt thru the stock. You will need an extension to reach the bolt head as it will be inside the stock. When done put the buttpad back on. The length question involves barrel length, as long as yours is the same as it left the factory, you are ok.

(Jefferson County)

So long as the overall length never goes under 26" with barrel attached, and the barrel length never goes under 18" - you can interchange a shoulder stock with a pistol grip any time you want.

If your shotgun goes under 26" when you remove the pistol grip, you need to remove the barrel prior to changing the grip so it is just the receiver and grip only. Attach the stock, then put the barrel back on.

On a side note, once you've put a shoulder stock on it, you can never turn it into a AOW if you ever desire to do so in the future. It'd only be able to become a SBS if you wanted to make it into a NFA firearm.
    Last edited by knight0334; May 4th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    So long as the overall length never goes under 26" with barrel attached, and the barrel length never goes under 18" - you can interchange a shoulder stock with a pistol grip any time you want.
    This is the correct answer

If your shotgun goes under 26" when you remove the pistol grip, you need to remove the barrel prior to changing the grip so it is just the receiver and grip only. Attach the stock, then put the barrel back on.
    This is not correct. If it was one would never be able to disassemble many models of rifles/shotguns or exchange buttstocks.

The rifle/shotgun is not complete without the stock or PG stock. When the stock(s) are removed it is a "barreled receiver". Not a complete firearm. And the under 26 AOL would not apply. That is only for complete firearms.

On a side note, once you've put a shoulder stock on it, you can never turn it into a AOW if you ever desire to do so in the future. It'd only be able to become a SBS if you wanted to make it into a NFA firearm.
    Correct again!

2 out of 3 ain't bad

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    This is the correct answer

This is not correct. If it was one would never be able to disassemble many models of rifles/shotguns or exchange buttstocks.

The rifle/shotgun is not complete without the stock or PG stock. When the stock(s) are removed it is a "barreled receiver". Not a complete firearm. And the under 26 AOL would not apply. That is only for complete firearms.

Correct again!

2 out of 3 ain't bad
    I had a copy of a letter from the ATF that guy got stating a similar procedure a couple years ago. Once I get home Thurs I'll look for it in my PC. I ran into it when I was researching the AOW/SBS thing when I built my SBS Mossy.

edit: but of course, the ATF changes their mind about as often as I change my socks.

(Luzerne County)

edit: but of course, the ATF changes their mind about as often as I change my socks.
    Which is a real BIG problem.

They have non attorneys writing opinion letters. The ATF in general is a complete travesty of justice... Damn, you got me started

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    To replace it, unscrew the bolt at the rear of the grip. To install the stock, line it up and reattach the bolt thru the stock. You will need an extension to reach the bolt head as it will be inside the stock. When done put the buttpad back on. The length question involves barrel length, as long as yours is the same as it left the factory, you are ok.
    Thanks. Do you happen to know what size the screw is in there or does it vary from stock to stock? It looks like a bigass Hex screw to me so I'll need to buy the tool or find someone that has one.

I am wanting to take this thing out for my first turkey session in a few weeks.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    Thanks. Do you happen to know what size the screw is in there or does it vary from stock to stock? It looks like a bigass Hex screw to me so I'll need to buy the tool or find someone that has one.

I am wanting to take this thing out for my first turkey session in a few weeks.
    When I put the pistol grip w/ collapsible stock on my mossberg (don't remember what model # but 500 something) I just used a long screwdriver. The new and old stocks should use the same screw unless the new one came with one. It is pretty easy to swap stock it took me less than a hour to put mine on and I also put on a forward PG.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown