Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default Join the NRA for free

I got this the other day and you can join for a short time for free. It apparently does not include a magazine, but an E-newsletter. Even if a person doesn't agree with the NRA, numbers don't lie, the 4 million members scare the hell out of politicians and if that number was doubled or tripled it would scare them even more. I am an Endowment member, have been a member of the NRA since the early 1960s, I sent the information on the free to join to everyone on my email list and asked them to join and send it on asking their friends to join. If everyone did this the membership numbers would be impressive.
    Pooch

https://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

Default Re: Join the NRA for free

The point of joining the NRA is for your membership dues to go to use in fighting for our cause. Joining for free doesn't serve much of a purpose. Membership isn't that expensive . . . just sayin.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    The point of joining the NRA is for your membership dues to go to use in fighting for our cause. Joining for free doesn't serve much of a purpose. Membership isn't that expensive . . . just sayin.
    I agree about the dues, but the NRA is offering this at this time to increase numbers, not dollars, so the enemy (and I call anyone opposed to my rights as the enemy)will see the numbers and think twice before pulling another AWB. They also must figure that when the year expires they will have a lot of those signed up that will join and pay dues.

Ideally the dues paying members are what we want, but if anti-gun politicians see 8 or 10 million members instead of just 4 million they will take note that the figure is a large voting segment of society. Bill Clinton blamed the NRA for the lost seats of Democrats in the election after the AWB, antis fear the NRA, there is strength in numbers.

So a free year (no magazine is included, an E-newsletter in place of)does serve a purpose, more so than you seem to realize, if it didn't the NRA wouldn't make the offer. The numbers fight as loud, actually louder, as politicians don't look at you to see if you pay dues, they look at the number of members and if you are a member, they have no idea if you got your membership free or not. They see the number as a potential voter, they could care less if the NRA gave you a free membership, you believe enough to join a cause opposed to theirs and that they can see.

I personally prefer seeing them spend a few dollars getting a lot of members joining for free than to continually spend money sending out annoying junk mail to people that in some cases turns them against the organization. I am an Endowment member and I hate getting the hat in hand begging for money mail. I contribute and have spent a shitload of money over the years becoming an Endowment member, so don't always appreciate the begging. If this increases membership, even temporarily and stops antis from taking more of my rights, especially my gun rights, then I am all for it. Just saying.
    Pooch

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch15825 View Post
    So a free year (no magazine is included, an E-newsletter in place of)
    this is actually not true, unless they just screwed up with me. I signed up for the free membership a month ago or so and I got my first issue of American Rifleman in the mail along with my new member package last week.

The rest of your post was right on. The NRA wants to increase their membership numbers any way possible right now. I think the free membership deal was a smart move.

I will most likely become a paying member after the free year is up.
    Let them take arms

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by rodder View Post
    this is actually not true, unless they just screwed up with me. I signed up for the free membership a month ago or so and I got my first issue of American Rifleman in the mail along with my new member package last week.

The rest of your post was right on. The NRA wants to increase their membership numbers any way possible right now. I think the free membership deal was a smart move.

I will most likely become a paying member after the free year is up.
    I was going from what they say you receive on the sign up, there is no mention of the monthly magazine, so I just assumed they were not giving it. I would have thought they would ask which magazine you wanted to receive along with your other information and they don't. If you get the magazine that is just a bonus. Thanks for letting me know about your experience and I hope you not only sign up as a paid member after your year is up, but that the membership numbers are so high it scares any antigun politicians so bad they do not even mention guns.
    Pooch

Below is what they say you will receive on the sign up page.

24/7 Defense of Your Firearm Freedoms
    NRA's Freedom Times Monthly E-Letter
    Your NRA Membership Card and Decal
    Savings on Hotels, Rental Cars and More
    Invitations to Friends of NRA Dinners and Celebration of American Values Special Events
    Last edited by Pooch15825; May 5th, 2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: punctuation/spelling

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the NRA info, I just signed up, if numbers will do it I'm all for it.