Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Is a ffl required to sell guns for a profit?

If someone is planning to buy and resell guns for a profit, do they need a FFL? For instance if someone sells guns at a yard sale to the public, must they have a FFL? thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is a ffl required to sell guns for a profit?

If you are in the business of buying and selling guns, you need an FFL. Not sure what the criteria is for personal vs business, but I think if you plan on buying them just to sell 'em, you'll need the paperwork.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Jefferson County)

There is no law against selling personal firearms that you once intended to keep for yourself and making a profit. However, there comes a point where LEO's, DA's and the ATF will question why you're selling so many of your "personal" firearms and will consider you a unlicensed dealer. ...not saying you will get convicted of it, but hundreds around the country have found out life can be made a real bitch if you tread on the edge of the fence.

When you start buying and selling them for the purposes like those of a business - you will need state and federal dealers licenses, business licenses, and tax licenses.

Thanks a ton guys. Thats what I figured pretty much. Just by going by the general rule that you need a license/ paperwork to do anything in this country.

I sold off a few guns to put aside some cash in these tough economic times.

I didn't need a lisence to do this. Particularly since I lost money on some of them.

I am now in the process of getting my FFL as I do plan on buying and selling guns for a profit.

(Centre County)

If you are buying guns with the intent of reselling them, profit or not, you are in the BUSINESS of dealing in guns and as such you need to have all the proper licenses. If you have a large personal collection that you want to get rid of, you can sell it off without having a license, it's done all the time.

Now, if you are selling off the collection and then buying more and then selling them, the BATFE may have issues with that as it would appear that you are dealing in firearms. However, they would have to prove that you intended to be in the business of buying and selling without the proper licenses. But to defend yourself would cost you some money.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member