Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Scope zeroing question/problem

I have a springfield 1903 given to me by a late uncle who passed and it had a 4x fixed scope which had bad glass and so I bought a anfordable scope which I remounted using scope alignment bars and adjusted the base and rings accordingly and used scope levels to make the crosshairs level with the gun.
    I then used a laser bore sighter to zero the scope and after making the adjustments and checking it over and over the crosshairs were way over to the left and after making them on the mark the windage had to be turned so far to the right that when it finally alinged thier is no more adjustment if I neede to adjust for windage to the right. I have taken the scope off and remounted following the steps which I just explained. Did I miss something on zeroing this scope or do I need fall back to zeroing at the range starting at 50yrds and establish zero on the target and move out to 100yrds. Or could thier be a issue with the firearm? Any help would be great as this has been troubling me the past couple of days to were am only left at trying the scope and rifle on the range to see were it lands on paper but at the cost of ammo.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Scope zeroing question/problem

what kind of replacement scope did you buy?

cheap scopes have a tendency to not adjust correctly/not enough. did you try tapping the turrets? sometimes they need to be tapped to reset themselves.

(Delaware County)

It's a center point scope and yes I did try and tap on them because I do that when ever I adjust the terrets on any scope. And just to add the springfield is of the sporter version.

(Delaware County)

I finally got to the range to try out the scope,Just to fresh I had to adjust the scope turrets all the way to the right and all the way up to get it zeroed with a laser bore sighter and a mechanical bore sighter, I remove the scope twice to make sure all was correct and used a scope level to make sure the cross hairs were straight and used scope ring level bars to check the rings.
    I first shot at the Yard to see were it would land on paper,it hit just were I aimed minus one from the group which was most likely me. At the Yard I first aligned the cross hairs on the center of the target and the three shots hit top left almost off the paper target, I held the cross hairs at three mil dot up and about 1-11/2 to the right to see were that would put it and it and the first three shots marked with a one was just high on center the second three shots were on top of each other just off center. Now I can't make any more turret adjustments to the right and up and it's hitting on the paper just about were it aims does this sound like it's a problem with the scope rather than the rifle? It is a low costing wal-mart scope! Should I look at buying another scope like Simmons,Bushnell or such with more quality? Or could it be something I missed with the rifle bedding, scope mounting?I would appreciate any help with this.

(Delaware County)

Here are the photos of the targets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Take the scope off and take a 3 foot long dowel rod the is 1 inch in diameter. Put it in the rings and tighten just like you would a scope. Then look at the dowel rod in relation to the barrel. It should be perfectly parallel, both vertically and horizontally. If it is not, you will see which way the scope mounts are pointed in relation to the barrel. Adjust as necessary and then resight the scope.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I will stop and pick up a dowel at a home depot and give it a try. I will let you know how it lines up with the barrel. Thanks XRING.

(Delaware County)

I picked up a 1" dowel and removed the scope and put the dowel in the rings and sure enough it's off to the left of the barrel which would explain why I had to adjust the scope to the right to align with the barrel. It was to late last night to remove the rings and bases to look and see if the bases are the problem or the drilled holes are off on the reciever but I will try and find time this weekend to investigate. Thanks Xringshooter for the great tip and advice rep was given.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Centre County)

Glad I could help. If the holes on the receiver are misdrilled a bit you can't really do anything about that without some major work (weld up the holes, remark, drill and retap). I would see if you can find a base that the screw holes are slightly elongated (left-right) so that you can move it laterally a bit to straighten it out. If you can't find any, you could do it yourself with a small round file. Just take it slow.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Take the scope off and take a 3 foot long dowel rod the is 1 inch in diameter. Put it in the rings and tighten just like you would a scope. Then look at the dowel rod in relation to the barrel. It should be perfectly parallel, both vertically and horizontally. If it is not, you will see which way the scope mounts are pointed in relation to the barrel. Adjust as necessary and then resight the scope.
    That's the tip of the month right there. Really good idea.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast