Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question Here We Go Again; Night Sights.

I have finally gotten around to shifting my focus to getting some night sights. I know alot of the big names, and I've heard of the straight eights styles and so forth. These will be going on my carry gun, Glock 30. I want to know what you guys think, and the main issue for me is...I dont want to send my slide anywhere. I want to be able to do the install myself or by someone local while I wait. Any ideas?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Here We Go Again; Night Sights.

Many places you can go to get direct replacement sights for your Glock. If you go to Brownells through the site here, and by from them, PaFOA gets money from them. They carry the major brands, as does MidwayUSA, Natchez, MidSouth Shooting Supplies, and you can also go direct to the different manufacturers.

Many pros and cons about Straight Eights, three dot, dots and bar, big dot, etc. I would ask around some friends and see what they have and take a look at them to see what you might be comfortable using.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Personal preferance. I don't really like tritium personally. I like fiber optics. Did you check into the TFO's? Seems like they'd be the best of both worlds but I never tried them.

I kind of like these, but you have a glock so there's a ton of options.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...8E4-1212764612

I like the Ameriglos they work great and I will buy more.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Lawrence County)

Glock sights are usually pretty easy. Many are held on by a nut up front and a dovetail in back. You file the bottom of the rear sight until it is nearly flush with the slide then you work one side of the sight until you can get her about 2/3 of the way in.....then tap it in with a soft punch (dowel rod or such).

Lycanquestion?thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bedford County)

As Lycan said... the Glock is one of the easier guns to change out. The factory front sight is punched out from the inside of the slide. It's plastic and will punch out rather easy.

The rear sight is also plastic with a metal insert in it. They are driven out of the dovetail with a brass or plastic punch or a wooden dowel. They fly right out with little force compared to other guns on the market.

Most aftermarket night sights use a small screw to hold the front sight in place. Very easy to install. The rear will be driven into the dovetail with the punch or dowel. Don't use a steel punch. Most of the sights I have seen for the Glock are pretty close, and need little filing or fitting.

The best sights on the market dollar for dollar are the Ameriglo and the Zone 3.

Both are blackened steel sights with tritium dots, and both makers use Trijicon lamps in their sights. They read TRIJICON right on the sight for much less money than actual Trijicon sights.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Personal preferance. I don't really like tritium personally. I like fiber optics. Did you check into the TFO's? Seems like they'd be the best of both worlds but I never tried them.

I kind of like these, but you have a glock so there's a ton of options.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...8E4-1212764612

I did read about TFO's in a shooter mag this Saturday actually. They supposedly have a pretty good dynamic lighting in all situations and last longer than straight up tritium lamps.

Well if installing them is no problem then...I was just wondering too about the styles. The three dot seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone else have experiences with the other sighting styles?

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by .FourthFifth View Post
    I did read about TFO's in a shooter mag this Saturday actually. They supposedly have a pretty good dynamic lighting in all situations and last longer than straight up tritium lamps.

Well if installing them is no problem then...I was just wondering too about the styles. The three dot seems pretty straight forward. Does anyone else have experiences with the other sighting styles?

I might be one of the very few here, but I use a front night sight only on my carry guns.

I use a front night sight with a plain black rear sight.

On my IDPA gun ( M&P 9mm) I use a plain black rear sight with a Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight. On my carry guns, (m&p compact & Kahr P9) I use a black rear with Trijicon tritium front sight.

For me this is the easiest configuration to use. Day or night I have a green front sight with a black rear. No fancy colors to align, simply put the green dot center mass and squeeze the trigger. It works for me. Maybe try it before you buy.

(Cumberland County)

How would I go about trying it before I buy?

(Chester County)

FYI, the TFO's rob your sight radius, and are the most exposed/ likely to break off of any of the options out there. Not to say they will, but I have my concerns about them.

I find 3 dots to be a significant distraction, personally.

My ideal set of sights would be a set of Warren Tactical sights with the front with white outlined tritium, and the rear with 1 tritium dot, no outline.

The Meprolight night sights have a very narrow notch, so they are the slowest for many. Trijicons are definitely a step in the right direction.

Fiber Optic sights in general, for me...they always overpower the sight edges. They're great for just blasting pie plate targets out to maybe 10-15 yards...but when you want to really get some precise shooting...for me, it takes a lot of effort to block out the glowing ball, and focus on the front sight edges. A white outline on a NS is just enough to stand out (for me) but not overpower the edges.

The only time I want to see any feature on a rear sight is at night to track the FS into the notch. Any feature on a rear sight that actively attracts my attention is just slowing me down.

I find 3 dot and u-notch rear sights to be hugely distracting.

As for trying different sights, if your preferences are similar to mine...check out the 10-8 rear, the Heinie rear, and the Warren Tactical/ carry comp rear.

My Warren don't have a rear night sight, but thats because I would need to send it out to have a lamp installed with no outline (its not offered that way). I would rather have a cleaner sight picture than a SLIGHT edge at night with the rear lamp. The single plain lamp is as far as I'm willing to go on rears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast