Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 01 FFL in Pennsylvania - Checklist

This is my first post in this forum though I have checked in now and then since moving back to PA.

If this is the wrong forum, let me know and I'll post it in the proper location.

I am beginning the process to set up a firearms business in Pennsylvania. I have my Form 7's (01 FFL App.) filled out. I am going to visit w/ my Sheriff next week to deliver his copy and get my fingerprint cards taken care of.

What would be really nice, but I am unable to find, is a 'checklist' of sorts for all the paperwork needing completion before the day I would open for business.

IE: Local licensing, sales tax forms, etc.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

(Centre County)

Default Re: 01 FFL in Pennsylvania - Checklist

First off, Welcome to the forum. You have a question, this is the place to ask, we have experts in all kinds of areas here.

Here is some of what you will need:

PA Firearms license (get at the Sheriffs Office). You may not get this before you get the 01 license but they should be able to give you something to attach to your 01 application stating that you will get it as soon as the 01 license is issued.

Any local licenses and/or approvals (township, city, boro, etc. will explain what you need). Once you have these, attach copies to the 01 application to prove your are serious about setting up a business.

PA Sales and Use Tax license (apply on line at PA Dept of Revenue). You can submit sales tax collected via EFT if you so wish.

A storefront business OR approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the locals give their approval)

Federal Fireams License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business, either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with SP if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)

Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

Hope this helps.

Where in central PA are you locating to?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: 01 FFL in Pennsylvania - Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    First off, Welcome to the forum. You have a question, this is the place to ask, we have experts in all kinds of areas here.

Thanks for the welcome. I have lurked for a while and thought I might find some answers here.

Here is some of what you will need:

PA Firearms license (get at the Sheriffs Office). You may not get this before you get the 01 license but they should be able to give you something to attach to your 01 application stating that you will get it as soon as the 01 license is issued.

I will be asking about this when I go in for the fingerprint cards.

Any local licenses and/or approvals (township, city, boro, etc. will explain what you need). Once you have these, attach copies to the 01 application to prove your are serious about setting up a business.

Township and county both told me verbally that I was GTG. I may need to pursue this in writing.

PA Sales and Use Tax license (apply on line at PA Dept of Revenue). You can submit sales tax collected via EFT if you so wish.

This one I knew I needed, but didn't know which Dept. Thanks!

A storefront business OR approval for a home based business from the local government agencies (the BATFE would prefer a storefront, but will give approval for some home based businesses if the locals give their approval)

Township and county both verbally stated I was GTG with home based. I am planning for this being mostly an internet based business.

Federal Fireams License (and you will need to prove to them that you have or can get the above before they approve/issue the FFL)

If my experience with the ATF in the past is accurate, I will send all I have in the next few days and then send them what they need as they ask for it. In other words, get the process moving and fill in the blanks as we go.

Not a true requirement but you're looking for trouble if you don't have them:
    Set up a business, either LLC, Corp, or sole proprietorship (however, with SP if something goes wrong they can take everything you own)

Planning on an LLC or S-Corp. Probably LLC.

Business insurance (unless you are independently wealthy and self insure)

Working on it. A friend is in-house councel for a larger insurer. I won't be large enough to interest his company, but he can point me in the right direction.

Then you have to start filing a PA business tax return (boy is it confusing the first time) and a federal business tax return.

I can't wait for this fun.

Hope this helps.

Where in central PA are you locating to?

I have located to eastern Snyder County. We have actually been here about a year. I spent the first years of my life in Montour County. Then lived in the west (AZ & UT) for the last 30+ years. Now 'home'.

I have used the 'Utah Shotgunner' nom-de-net on forums for many years. It's probably a bit confusing here, but I'm comfortable with it. And I miss Utah.....