Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default Shoulder Holster

Does anyone use a shoulder holster. What are the pros and cons. It would seem to me that if I wore a vest it would be a comfortable set up with say a Glock 17. I would be accessible when driving and it would be out of the way. Are the tie downs necessary. I see some come with and others (Ross) come without. Just looking for information rathar than learning by purchasing and then placing in a drawer.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shoulder Holster

Lots of pros and cons about shoulder holsters. Some don't like them because when you draw, if wearing a horizontal shoulder holster, the barrel is pointing towards anyone behind (and as you sweep it out of the holster to the side of) you. A vertical shoulder holster basically does the same thing. So you need to know what is being covered by the muzzle when you unholster.

If hunting, fishing, etc. a shoulder holster can be a good way to carry as it would be out of the way and if it's a heavy gun it makes it easier to carry. If fishing with hip or chest waders it would keep it accessible and up away from the water.

Using a hold down is a personal preference, I like them as for me it keeps the gun in place easier without it flopping around much.

As you said, in a car it could make it easier to access than a IWB/OWB holstered gun. I use a shoulder holster when carrying my 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk when big game hunting, mainly because of its size.

IIRC, shoulder holsters are not allowed when shooting at a PGC shooting range.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

I used a shoulder holster for short while, years ago. I figured out why women hate wearing a bra. Not for me.

(Westmoreland County)

I just wore my G19 in a shoulder holster (under a windbreaker) all day yesterday, while driving from Westmoreland county to Erie and back. I prefer it for road trips vs most other holsters, and it doesn't have tie downs. It wasn't as uncomfortable as a belt holster can be while driving for hours, and it allows for quicker access while seated.

I don't really look at it as "Pros vs Cons". I have several different holsters to cover several different uses, and a shoulder holster fits the bill for traveling by car. There are better choices than a shoulder holster for everyday carry, especially on a hot day in the summer... just like I wouldn't wear an SOB or an ankle holster for driving either. I know people who only carry in an IWB holster 24/7 (regardless of the situation). Get a shoulder holster if you see a need for that kind of carry, but I wouldn't make it my primary holster.

(Schuylkill County)

All i can say is i have 2 shoulder rigs one is a Jackass rig that is so comfortable and broken in, its like an old friend, i wear this when i'm going to be in a suite and tie all day sitting in meetings and the other, is a Galco Miami classic, havent got it adjusted just right yet but i will keep playing with it. as for tie downs these 2 rigs dont have them they have a double mag pouch on the opposite side to help counter the weight of your pistol. they both have an option for a tie down on the gun side but have never felt the need touse them.

(Adams County)

1911Shooter: How often do you find that you wear the shoulder rig. I assume you are in a suit often therefore it would be somewhat easier to conceal. Do you only wear it with business clothes or are you able to wear it with casual clothing. Summer would be more difficult. To me they seem to look the most comfortable. But I am not sure about how well they will be concealed if one doesn't have suit/sport coat on. I am wondering how they will work under multi pocket vest. It's a lot of money if I don't end up wearing it.

Thanks for all the imput.

(Centre County)

doxie3:

I have worn 1 almost exclusively - DAILY - for 6 months.
    The reason I started is because my current position within the company consists of sitting on my arse in an office or in a vehicle for 8-11 hours a day. I need to stay well concealed at work and have NEVER been made. One of my co-workers is an avid gun enthusiast and he never knew either.

One other note about sitting and OWB/IWB vs SH (shoulder holster):
    I notice that the SH is never a problem when I sit from the standpoint of comfort or having the gun move out of position.

My cover garment only consists of a Large or X-Large shirt WORN OPEN. I carry a full size 1911 and my rig has the double mag holder on the opposite side. If I was to do it again I would opt for a triple holder because of the weight of the 1911.

This rig has NO tie downs and none are needed in my experience.

Since the weather has gotten warmer I wear a colored T-Shirt as my shirt then the cover garment is the lightest weight shirt that have - again WORN OPEN.

One note on the "worn open cover garment": When the wind is blowing or I am making other motions which might make the shirt "fly", I either hold it closed or button a couple lower buttons - leaving enough room to still draw if needed.

I did lot of research on line and found/purchased the following rig by Andrews Leather: http://www.andrewsleather.com/

I used to carry w/ this set-up, in and outside work but now that I am moving to OC when not at work I am also using OWB.

Pros and Cons are being covered by others so I will stay away from that discussion.

FOR ME, SH carry is a valuable part of my carry line-up. I hope this helps but as usual, because we are all different and have different needs and preferences, YMMV.

(Adams County)

Thanks for the info. The firepower rig is really nasty looking. (I hope that none of us need that rig unless of course you are in law inforcement.) No kidding the shoulder rigs looks good. Thanks for the link.