Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Sportsman's firearm permit

Well i'm turning 18 in a few weeks, and since i do a lot of fishing i am going to go get my Sportsman's permit. I'm sure the county treasurer will know the answer to my questions, but i thought i'd ask them here.
    Does the firearm still need to be carried openly, or does the sportsman permit allow concealed carry. Also, i assume the gun needs locked up in a case, unloaded and away from the ammo while transporting two the fishing spot? And I assume the no stops whatsoever rule applies?
    Thanks for any help!

Sportsman's firearm permit. --

1. Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.
    2. Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

Default Re: Sportsman's firearm permit

Sportsmans Permits allow transporting only.
    You cannot conceal with a sportsmans permit.
    The firearm needs to be unloaded, and ammo separated.

No stops between

(Cumberland County)

yep what he said

(Lancaster County)

Thats what i thought, it basically allows you to transport the gun, and then you OC as per the law...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    Thats what i thought, it basically allows you to transport the gun, and then you OC as per the law...
    you got it.

(Chester County)

OK - I'll stick my neck out.

If a sportman's permit activates the exemption §6106(b)(9) from the proscription of §6106(a) against concealed or vehicle carry then, while actually hunting, etc or going to or from places of hunting, etc , what law prevents CC or loaded vehicle carry???

18 Pa CSA §6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.*

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
    I've seen the statement that CC is not alowed on a few county and PSP website but I'm interested in a citation that would justify that assertion.
    IANAL

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    OK - I'll stick my neck out.

If a sportman's permit activates the exemption §6106(b)(9) from the proscription of §6106(a) against concealed or vehicle carry then, while actually hunting, etc or going to or from places of hunting, etc , what law prevents CC or loaded vehicle carry???

I've seen the statement that CC is not alowed on a few county and PSP website but I'm interested in a citation that would justify that assertion.
    good question i dont know but im shore someone on hear will.

(Luzerne County)

The Sportman's Permit allows concealed carry when the person is hunting, fishing or trapping. It also allows the carrying of the weapon, loaded.....in a vehicle while going to or from the places where the person hunts, fishes or traps.

The Sportman's Permit must be carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license.

The Sportsman's Permit does NOT allow concealed carry outside of the above. It is NOT a license to carry firearms (LTCF), therefore you cannot use it as a LTCF. Again, it allows the concealment in the above situations ONLY! This is where the "it is not a concealed carry license" mis-information comes from. In one sense, they are right.....it is NOT a LTCF.....but it does have exceptions that allow the carrying of a concealed firearm.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; May 1st, 2009 at 09:39 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Sportsmans Permits allow transporting only.
    You cannot conceal with a sportsmans permit.
    The firearm needs to be unloaded, and ammo separated.

No stops between
    Negative.
    Negative.
    Negative.

See my post above.

Firearms - Handguns: A Sportsman’s Firearms permit or a License
    to Carry Firearms is required to carry a handgun, or have in a motor
    vehicle. Licenses to Carry Firearms permits are issued by county sheriffs
    or the Philadelphia Chief of Police. The License to Carry Firearms
    permit only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to
    carry firearms that fall within this classification. County treasurers