Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Gun Offender Registry Act

April 29, 2009- (Utica, NY) – Utica Mayor David Roefaro was joined by Mayor Bloomberg's office of New York City today as he proposed the city's first gun crime related law in the city's history. The law is a Gun Offender Registry Act, also known as a GORA.
    Problem: People who commit crimes with guns pose vastly elevated risks of more serious crime in the future.

Proposal: Require convicted gun offenders to report their names, addresses, and places of work to the UPD

Effectiveness: UPD can use the data this bill gives them to prevent gun crime, as they use Megan's Law data to prevent sex crime.
    Full Story
    http://www.cityofutica.com/Mayor/Media/2009-04-29.htm

EDIT:
    Found some more...
    "Illegal guns are the cancer of this very country, born out of the criminals' disregard for others and for humanity itself. It's time for Utica, New York to put back the humanity to the gun offenders by having the brave men and women of our Utica Police Department track them, monitor them and hopefully drive them out of our city," said Roefaro.
    http://news10now.com/content/all_new...d/Default.aspx
    Last edited by sicario; April 29th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Gun Offender Registry Act

If they pose such a danger to society, then why, um, put them back into society?

Oh, right, because when they commit more violence using guns, those acts can be used as ammunition to punish law-abiding gun owners. Got it.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

I want to know what reporting in every 6 months will do to end violent crime.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    If they pose such a danger to society, then why, um, put them back into society?

Oh, right, because when they commit more violence using guns, those acts can be used as ammunition to punish law-abiding gun owners. Got it.
    Yep, you pretty much nailed it.

And I love how they say that "illegal guns are the cancer..." Why does nobody seem to realize that people are the one and only factor here? The only logical answers are they do realize it, but are pressing an agenda (deceit), or they completely lack an scrap of intelligence (ignoramus muchus)....either way, things don't look good for them.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Berks County)

There is no bad person in the world. Not one. They are all good honest hard working folks until...A gun finds them. Whispers evil, terrible things in their ears. Talks of murder. Armed robbery. Then those poor innocent people can't help it. They are forced into committed these horrible crimes.

This way, with the 6 month checkups, the cops can find out if any other evil guns are telling you to do things. Then the police can stroll in and take that gun away, before it can hurt anyone else.
    Is it five o'clock yet?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post

let's lock up everyone that commits a gun crime for life.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
    What!? You're over generalizing....I think what he was getting at was blame the person, not the gun. People make mistakes, regardless if it happened to be with a gun, car, knife, alcohol, drugs, or whatever....If the crime committed was non-violent in nature, or was a one-time occurrence (now to be clear, I'm not talking about a one-time murder fest here), then factor that into the judgement. Point is, if you have a genuine uncorrectable threat to society, why release him and blame the instrument he used in implementing his crime? Punish the criminal according to the crime, not according to the items he used.
    Last edited by Decholder; April 30th, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Decholder View Post
    What!? You're over generalizing....I think what he was getting at was blame the person, not the gun.
    I support keeping violent criminals locked up for as long as they remain violent.

I don't care if they assault their girlfriend with a baseball bat or a Glock, I don't want them out in public until they've proven themselves safe enough to be trusted to be in free society.

And I also don't care if people want to buy and sell guns illegally. Hence why I would never push for increased penalties for mere "gun crimes", as those could include popping an American-made mag into your foreign-made AK.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Agreed, (you must have posted while I was editing my response), if a criminal is violent, remains violent, and has no indication of turning away from said violence...then keep him where he belongs, in prison, or in front of a firing squad.