Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Concealed Carry for Women

I am trying to help my fiancé find a pistol which she will be able to carry. She will be working in professional settings where she will be in close contact with other people in a gym type setting. Generally tighter clothing is what she will be wearing. I am looking for input from women on how i may help her find the right type of weapon and concealment rig. At this point we have found a airlite revolver, but she is concerned about being able to conceal it under work conditions.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry for Women

If concealment is her goal, her clothing might make it tough. Off the top of my head, I think a sweatshirt (as a cover garment) or a fanny pack (as a holster) are options.

(Delaware County)

Heres what i posted on another forum:

She has been hesitant to be around firearms, but the areas that she will have to travel through while workig have made her reconsider. She is more comfortable with revolvers. She feels that too much can go wrong with a semi-auto. A revolver she has found which seems to work for her is the S&W airlite .38 spl. Her current concern with it will be concealing the weapon. The cylinder makes the weapon a bit wider then she would prefer. As an athletic trainer she will be in close physical contact with people. She is concerned that if she has the firearm on her person it will be discovered. We were thinking that the primary concern for carrying is to and from work, which she will be returning from late at night. For the fall and winter she was considering an ankle holster but was not sure what to use during the summer.

Any advice on other firearms, even if they are small semi-autos and the manner in which she could carry would be very helpful.

In response to the sweater I believe that will work well in the fall and winter. Her primary concern is while she is traveling. It is her plan to store the firearm off body while at work and put it back on when she leaves. It is when she is dressing professionally that she has concerns about, having it print as the clients she will be working with are generally not friendly towards firearms.

(York County)

I like .38 snubbies too. Carry one all the time.
    Anyway, my suggestion would be the Ruger LCP. Small and very thin. It's also light enough to pocket carry in sweats (pants or shirt if there are pockets) if she wanted to.
    The LCP is a backup for me...either for a snubby (pocket carried) or a larger gun (OWB on the hip) but it's small and light enough to conceal in almost any tighter clothing..which a snubby .38 may not conceal well.
    I carry my LCP in a vest pocket, mostly.

While traveling, I suggest she keep Mace or Pepper Spray in her car as well as carry the pistol.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; April 29th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

A fanny pack with a built-in holster will work very well for her. She can keep keys, cel and $ inside too. My wife has one for the centennial model S&W .38 snubbie, and she loves it. It even has a quick-rip cord for instant access.

(Bucks County)

This is a dilemma for me too as I just bought a S & W 442 with concealed hammer. I've never carried open or concealed before and I'm trying to figure out how is the best way. I work in Trenton so you know that's not a place I'm going to take my firearm. Unfortunately that's the place I need it the most as I work at Fuld the trauma hospital where the bloods drop their casualties off in the ER dead or alive. I work with them, I work among them they are everywhere in Trenton.
    Ok I digress, if anyone has any ideas I'd sure be grateful. I plan on concealed carry.

I carry a s&w ladysmith, for the most part the same as the air lite, just a little more girly looking. Mine is a 357 so of course I can also use 38s if I want to. So I practice and plink with 38s, but cc with 357s. I love this option.
    Also shown below is how I carry mine. As far as carring on my body I have not been able to find something that conceals as well. Bonus to this is that I can leave the holster on without my gun in it and it does not bother me. I wear mine for 12 hours a day with no discomfort. May be a good option for your fiance. I got this at a local show, but you can find them on-line at www.guns4gals.com

Even with just my tank top on you don't see much. On the last photo I have noticed that I did not have my gun pushed in all the way, so it does do a better job of covering the trigger that the photo shows