Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Magtech, and other brands of inexpensive ammo, anything to be worried about?

I want to buy some .44 special ammo for my Henry .44 Magnum Big Boy lever rifle. I was looking up ammo prices at various sites online and I find that some places have MagTech .44 special at about $18 per 50 cartridges, while the Remington and Winchester brands run more like $28 per 50 cartridges. So, is MagTech just running a better business (undercutting the competition by pricing below the market-prevailing rates), or is MagTech CHEAPLY made stuff that should be avoided?

I will be using the ammo to sight in the rifle and then for shooting at large paper targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards for recreation.

I spent Satruday trying to sight in the rifle using .44 Mag loads and my shoulder is still hurting, a lot! The sharp edge on the butt of the rifle cuts into me. I want to go to .44 Special loads for a while and see how it goes.

OK, any advice appreciated.

Default Re: Magtech, and other brands of inexpensive ammo, anything to be worried about?

I find Magtech ammo to be dirty, but some of the other cheaper ammo are also dirty. Magtech is made in Brazil and they also offer reloading componets as well as factory ammo. Their ammo shoots fine, but if you want a lighter load...I'd take a look at CCI Blazer Brass...I'm not sure if CCI makes it for the 44 Spl, but it's worth a look. Walmart carries the CCI BB. The CCI isn't loaded as hot as say Remington/UMC also sold in Walmart stores.

You might also want to look into buying a shoulder pad. PAST makes one and it will tame the recoil from magnums.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past.html

(Berks County)

Default Re: Magtech, and other brands of inexpensive ammo, anything to be worried about?

I've bought Magtech ammo in the past...it is what it is ...cheap plinking ammo. Expect it to vary a bit as far as accuracy, but I see no reason to avoid it.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Bucks County)

Don't buy "American Ammunition" under any circumstances.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Don't buy "American Ammunition" under any circumstances.
    Sorry to distract from the topic, but is that the reloads in a blue box?

I'm interested in hearing about the MagTech as well.
    (I passed on the Blazer at WalMart as I hadn't tried it before, so that input was welcome too)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    They're not reloads, and are usually sold in a clear-ish plastic case. Maybe you're thinking of Ultramax or Miwall?

As far as I can tell, all other new (i.e., non-remanufactured) brands are ok. Some are more dirty than others; none other than AA is actually unsafe. There is some debate about Wolf; I choose not to shoot it. Barring Wolf, I simply buy and stock up on whatever is on sale: S&B, CCI Blazer, Magtech, American Eagle, UMC, PMC.

(Allegheny County)

i carry magtech guardian gold 115 gr +p JHP in my g17.

i've put about 300 of them through the gun and never had any problem. they shoot exactly the same as the remington UMC 115 grain FMJ rounds i use for everything other than carrying.

i've never actually shot anything with the magtechs other than paper/steel, so i can't vouch for expansion, etc. (though i did see a comparison somewhere where they did just fine against more common carry rounds) but as far as reliability and accuracy go, they've been fine for me.

(Dauphin County)

Every MagTech round I have fired has been top notch. I have use 9mm and 32 SW Long.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

I'm interested in hearing about the MagTech as well.
    (I passed on the Blazer at WalMart as I hadn't tried it before, so that input was welcome too)
    I think that is Ultramax....which is generally fine.

American Ammunition carries the headstamp:
    A MERC

It is a problem waiting to happen and has even earned it's own failure on my USPSA range called the A-Merc death jam. Almost any reload with A-Merc brass in .45 will bulge at the base when you seat the bullet cause the gun to lock up TIGHT just before going into battery.

I've become a master of clearing that for people as of late.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I have used magtech in .40, and 9mm no problems. I think cci brass is very reasonable(especially at walmart).

I won't shoot regular cci and wolf. I've had ftf and fte issues with standard cci and a number of duds with wolf.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast