Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Best X-power for shooting distance

Is there a rule of thumb for shooting a distance. Like if your shooting 100 yards you should have a 5X scope or something?

I don't hunt and I don't kill people...so I'm shooting targets. So super accuracy is my key here, not just hitting the target. Obviously the more power the better, but I'm wandering whats going too far? What is average?

For instance my gun is zeroed at 200 yards so that I may shoot 100 yards well and 300 is only about 6-8 inches low as long as I'm firing 130 grain bullets (270 win)

Currently i have a 9x scope but I definately could use some better accuracy. It seems that the tiny bit I'm moving ends up being an inch on the target. Thats alot when I'm only firing at a static target taking all the time in the world to shoot. I should be putting them near the same hole cutting out the center of the target.

Today I was shooting 100 and 200 yards. At 100 yards I was shooting a 2x2 square in the target, all along the edges of the square but never the center. At 200 yards I placed two shots near the center. One about a half inch to the right, and another 1 inch to the right. And several more within the 8 inch cirlce, which I consider to be downright shameful. Yeah thats a kill in hunting, but I'm not hunting.

It just seems to me that when those tiniest bits of movement when pulling that 500lb. trigger jerks the gun...only a bit, but that bit ends up being 5 inches at 200 yards.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Best X-power for shooting distance

In my experiences having to much magnification is worse than not enough. When I had a straight 20x on my AR-50 if I tried to shoot at stuff that was 400m or less you could watch yourself wobble around on the target. Higher magnification at close distance also limits your field of view of the target and its surroundings. Another problem I've seen is with guys shooting matches and due to recoil knocking them off target picking back up the wrong target and continue firing at the wrong one til the course of fire is over.

Are you using custom hand loads? Or factory ammo? Your current optic might not be the problem. If your ammo is inconsistent from round to round your going to see a difference in point of impact even if you have everythine else exactly the same.

You mentioned the trigger pull is 500lbs. I know your exagerating to make a point but you do have a valid point that a heavy trigger will effect your shot. If your really serious about making a good shooting rifle have the pull weight checked and have a smith do some work to it. Everybody has their own opinions as to the best pull weights for each application but find one that you like and go from there.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like you're trying to shoot 1" groups at 100/200 yards? You're going to want something a little more powerful than 9x.

Lots of things can affect that sort of accuracy.
    Quality of ammo
    Scope (quality optics, mounted secure w/ loctite, proper magnification)
    Type of rifle (some just can't shoot that accurately)
    Floated barrel vs non floated
    Cold barrel vs warm barrel
    Dirty vs clean barrel
    Proper resting of the gun.
    Trigger pull
    Wind
    Most importantly: The shooter!

You need to go through and eliminate as many variables as possible. It may be just one causing your problem. Or it could be a combination of some or all.

(Delaware County)

I understand what you want to achieve and my suggestion is to look into a practical rifle training course to help you understand all that is needed in your rifle to achieve your goal at shooting and also what is needed in yourself to accurately make the shoots you want time and time again.Just my opionion.

thanks guys