Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transfer fees

(Dauphin County)

Default transfer fees

i am gettign a new pistol off of gunbroker and needed an FFL to transfer to i called 4 places.

all ranged from 35 to 65 dollars for transfer fee

then i called Hit Or Miss in Halifax,PA

i said i was bought a gun out of state and needed a tranfer could/would he do that he said sure not problem, i then asked what his fee was he said $5.00....

i was in shock,said thanks and gave him the sellers info and he faxed his info to him last night called the seller today payed with credit card and it is being shipped today...

they are only open mon wed and fri in teh evening... phone # 717-896-8348
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: transfer fees

For a $5 transfer fee I'd be sure to offer him more of my business like buying some ammo or gear too.

(Northampton County)

I have been looking at this for a week or so now. Does anybody know a shop near Easton that does a cheap transfer fee when recieving a gun from an online sale?

(Allegheny County)

Considering how little is involved in transferring a gun, anything more than $20 is highway robbery. It should be looked at as a form of advertising. Hey, do your transfer here, I won't rip you off and you get to see what cool stuff I have.

Years ago, I needed to transfer a gun from Virginia to Maryland and checked around for what different dealers charged. The closest ones were $25 to $40 (1985 dollars), so I called one in the next county north but still less than 20 miles away. Fifteen bucks. Great shop. I wound up buying a couple pistols there, bunch of accessories and ammo over the years.

Log it in. Make a couple phone calls. File a 4473. Shouldn't be more than $20.

(Dauphin County)

will deffinately be buying some ammo while picking up my pistol in the morning...

bought my sons first .22 rifle there a few years ago. just a small shop in a barn sorta. nice tho

(Indiana County)

I always figured a guy could set up at shows just doing checks for $25 and would make a killing.

Maybe I should get my license again.....

I think 20-30 is fair, 40-50 is a rip and charging $5 is stupid.

We expect a dealer to pay for insurance, electric, heat ect... the license renewals, county and local licenses, ect.... not to mention dealing with the BATFE, keeping current on the changes in the laws, to just pretty much give his time away for free to a guy that bought his gun somewhere else?

Sorry, but IMO, doing a transfer for a guy involves more than just a phone call and filing away a paper.

Some dealers are crooks, that is a fact, but expecting a guy to do you a favor when you bought elsewhere and then complaining about his fees is pretty unrealistic.

Would you buy a pack of steaks at Wal-Mart and then stop at Ponderosa and expect them to cook them for a dollar?

If this guy wants to charge $5 with the hope that the guy will come to him in a few years and buy a .22 or a scope, or make $2 off a box of ammo, good for him, but I wouldn't.

(Dauphin County)

thats fine man, you dont have to.. he did and him doing that got a couple more customers, and nto just for transfer fees either.. i went and picked up my pistol this morning and took my landlord with, we both ended up buying some ammo, not allot but some and i will deal with him for now on , his gun pricers are beyond fair and reasonable...

he is not looking to make a killing off of over charging people for minimal services. it took him all of 2 minutes on the phone and 5 minutes of paper work ( less really) i never understood why anyone would charge more than 20 bucks for this.
    his shop is very small in the corner of his machine shop. more of a hobby to him than anything.

i dont think he is charging a cheaper price in the hopes iof bringing in more buisness, its just decent fair practice that some people still have, thankfully...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I always figured a guy could set up at shows just doing checks for $25 and would make a killing.

Maybe I should get my license again.....

I think 20-30 is fair, 40-50 is a rip and charging $5 is stupid.

We expect a dealer to pay for insurance, electric, heat ect... the license renewals, county and local licenses, ect.... not to mention dealing with the BATFE, keeping current on the changes in the laws, to just pretty much give his time away for free to a guy that bought his gun somewhere else?

Sorry, but IMO, doing a transfer for a guy involves more than just a phone call and filing away a paper.

Some dealers are crooks, that is a fact, but expecting a guy to do you a favor when you bought elsewhere and then complaining about his fees is pretty unrealistic.

Would you buy a pack of steaks at Wal-Mart and then stop at Ponderosa and expect them to cook them for a dollar?

If this guy wants to charge $5 with the hope that the guy will come to him in a few years and buy a .22 or a scope, or make $2 off a box of ammo, good for him, but I wouldn't.
    Looks like the little green monster is rearing it's ugly head.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    thats fine man, you dont have to.. he did and him doing that got a couple more customers, and nto just for transfer fees either.. i went and picked up my pistol this morning and took my landlord with, we both ended up buying some ammo, not allot but some and i will deal with him for now on , his gun pricers are beyond fair and reasonable...

he is not looking to make a killing off of over charging people for minimal services. it took him all of 2 minutes on the phone and 5 minutes of paper work ( less really) i never understood why anyone would charge more than 20 bucks for this.
    his shop is very small in the corner of his machine shop. more of a hobby to him than anything.

i dont think he is charging a cheaper price in the hopes iof bringing in more buisness, its just decent fair practice that some people still have, thankfully...
    Sounds right to me. Thanks for the info 4XLT.
    Last edited by shooter357; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post

It may be 5 minutes of paperwork while you are there, but trust me when I say this, there is way more than 5 minutes involved.
    Gun comes in the dealer needs to log it into the A/D book. Then file the FFL from the seller in alpha order. Tag and stock the item until buyer comes in. Then fills out the 4473 and state form(for handguns, lowers etc..) and then later in the day log that weapon out of the A/D book and file both 4473 and State form in order. Then those forms must be maintained and always available for inspection should the ATF or State come calling. Then at the end of every 10 days those forms have to be handled again when we send in our state surcharge remittance to verify the approval number. I have about 20 minutes of work in every transaction. And if the buyer goes to an operator it can be much longer (1/2-1hour total is NOT uncommon) that time takes me away from other customers buying firearms from my inventory.

I know transfers don't seem like they should cost anything, but they are time consuming and paperwork heavy.

(Montgomery County)

I have no problems with the fees being charged...these guys need to make a living too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast