Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Tell me about the Glock 36

First off I am a Glock guy, tried and true. I have carried a Glock for duty purposes for years. I currently own a Glock 32, but in the past I have owned a G19 and G27. I am currently looking for a .45 for carry purposes, and have been considering a the G36. I know for all intents and purposes the 36 is just a slimmer version of the 30, but that's what attracts me to it.

I have also been looking at the Kahr P45, but I am open to other suggestions. I like 1911s, but I am not looking for one of those right now. So basically, what are the pros and cons of the G36, does anyone have one, and what would be some other suggestions for a .45 in the same spectrum? Thanks for your time.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Tell me about the Glock 36

Quote Originally Posted by K9346 View Post
    First off I am a Glock guy, tried and true. I have carried a Glock for duty purposes for years. I currently own a Glock 32, but in the past I have owned a G19 and G27. I am currently looking for a .45 for carry purposes, and have been considering a the G36. I know for all intents and purposes the 36 is just a slimmer version of the 30, but that's what attracts me to it.

I have also been looking at the Kahr P45, but I am open to other suggestions. I like 1911s, but I am not looking for one of those right now. So basically, what are the pros and cons of the G36, does anyone have one, and what would be some other suggestions for a .45 in the same spectrum? Thanks for your time.
    I had a G-36 for about 18mos, until I held my fire sale and went exclusively 1911. I liked it ok. It didnt shoot nearly as well, or as comfortably as the 30, but then, the 30 is somewhat of a freak of nature.

I liked the size and have found few pistols in 45acp, which conceal as well. I liked the thinner profile and lack of light rail. The thinner grip allows for a somewhat higher firing grip and helps to make for a great point shooter. I also liked the rounded slide at the muzzle for the same concealability reasons.
    I did not like the recoil. There just isn't enough heft to it to allow for fast followup shots. Unlike all the GAP guns and the 30, there was an inordinate amount of muzzle flip. I figured a tungsten guide rod and filling the grip channel with lead shot and epoxy would help this, but I don't like the idea of carrying a modified gun.

For a CCW, with decent accuracy out to about 25', it's a viable choice.

In the past few years a LOT of very nice alternatives have been released. Springfield's Micro, Para Slim Hawg, Kimber Ultra CDP II, Les Baer Stinger... but then, you did say you dont want a 1911 right now.

Nice thing about a Glock is that if you find it's not your cup of polymer, they're easy to sell.

Stay Safe and good luck in your shopping.
    Last edited by Average Baer; May 7th, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Westmoreland County)

I picked up a G36 last week and took it out that night and for extended shooting this weekend. I love it!

Granted, I'd like more than 6 capacity but it's still an awesome gun, very small, light but doesn't feel too small in the hand to shoot comfortably.

If you try one in the store, make sure they give you a mag for it. The mag let's you give it a full grip, without the mag it feels too short so keep that in mind.

I have fairly large hands and can grip the 21 comfortably. I thought the G21 was too big until after I took a training class with TonyF last Sunday. Now, I am perfectly comfortable with it's size and handling it. The G36 is a great slimmed down version of it minus the double stack.

I plan on getting the Compact Glock in 45 (is that the G30?) with the double stack as well but the G36 is great as it's pretty slim. I love mine and very very very glad to have it. It's in my briefcase at my 5 o'clock as I type this. Even though it's small, I still can't conceal it enough with what I have to wear (dress shirt and slacks). I could but between getting up and down under desks, bending over and carrying stuff, I don't think I could conceal anything outside of a pocket pistol, even then It'd be printing in my slacks.

It'd be great in a nice IWB holster, I just haven't gotten one yet.

Hope this helps.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the reply. So, correct me if I'm wrong, you would recommend the G30 over the 36, simply for the way it handles. Now I know I would be giving up a little in concealability, but the 30 handles better, right?

The only experience with a Glock .45 I have is with the 21, so I do appreciate the input.

(Wayne County)

I have a G22 and a G36 and I have to say I love the G36. It feels good in my hand and shoots as good as my G22. I would reccomend it without question. I never shot or held the G30 but you can't go wrong with any Glock in my opinion.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by K9346 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So, correct me if I'm wrong, you would recommend the G30 over the 36, simply for the way it handles. Now I know I would be giving up a little in concealability, but the 30 handles better, right?

The only experience with a Glock .45 I have is with the 21, so I do appreciate the input.
    Yes.

JMHO, but I have (as have many) always found the G-30 to be the best of the Glocks. It defies reason, but seems the most accurate and most comfortable shooting. It's just a phreak of physics. Thankfully, there are a lot of ranges, which rent Glocks and the 30 almost always appears. Find one and shoot it. You'll see what I mean.

If I was to be sent abruptly to hell and could have only one pistol and it had to be a Glock, it'd be a 30.

Dont get me wrong though, there is a tremendous following for the 36 and there are certainly concealment advantages to it. As strickly a CCW, comfort of shooting is a non-issue. No one carries a compact 1911 because they're fun to shoot. The 36 really does "disappear" under a t-shirt in a good IWB. The 30 is much bulkier. To me, the only advantage the 30 offers as a pure CCW, over the 36, is in target reaquisition/follow-up shot speed.

Short of the long of it: If it were going to be a gun with which all I did was shoot it enough to declare it fit for carry, then CCW it, I'd likely go 36. For me, "liking" a gun has nothing to do with "trusting" it. I never "liked" any of my Glocks, but carried them everyday. I LOVE my 1911s!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Lancaster County)

Thanks AverageBear. I think I will go with the 30. I can make it work as far as CCW. Hell I've carried bigger, and I like the idea of having 10 rounds of .45 ACP goodness at my disposal.

(Allegheny County)

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't own a G 36, but I have shot one many times. I am a big guy so maybe that is why I didn't like it. It felt to small in my hands, my little finger was hanging off the bottom under the MAG. And I thought it was terribly inaccurate. I am good for 30 yards with my G22 and I was just getting on the paper a 15 with the G 36.

I am wanting to trade carry guns this fall depending on how over time goes. I did a search and found some info but maybe I'm over looking what I really want to know.
    Currently I carry the Taurus PT 145 and what I don't like about it is it's too bulky as far as thickness and doesn't hide very well for my body shape and the position I like to carry at. It's double action/single action and the trigger pull is rediculous. There's a lot of free travel in the trigger. I can press the trigger for probably an inch before I start feeling the actual trigger pull. It drives me nuts.
    The two options I've narrowed down to based on price and features is the Glock 36 and the Colt Defender. I am in love with the Colt but trying to be fiscally responsible so if I don't get enough OT for it then the Glock is my second choice.
    Can someone describe the trigger pull on the G36? Does it hide well? Should I just be patient, keep saving and go straight to the Colt Defender?

(Cumberland County)

I own and have fired a G30. A friend has a G36. I've only held it and have "carried" it in his house to see the difference. My GOD there is a difference for IWB carry. But I certainly don't regret my G30. I still carry it IWB frequently. 30, as you know has higher capacity to to G36 and even full-sized single stack 1911's

Glock over 1911? That's personal preference. I'd carry either. I'm a Glock fan, but not a fan Boy. I'd carry a 1911.

As for the Kahr PM45, I carry a MK40 daily. It's ok. Carries nice, shoots decently, but OH MY GOD the recoil. If I had to get rid of one right now, the Kahr would be gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast