Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting tips?

(Lancaster County)

Default Shooting tips?

Today I went to the range, and shot a full box of WWB 50 rounds. It wasn't windy when I got there, got set up and it got windy so that kind of sucked.

The one thing today that sucked, was I couldn't hold my Glock 19 steady. I've never had this problem, I paused for a few, breathed, tried again and notta, I lined up the sights to where I wanted, and they were always off center. Only a few had decent grouping, just not where I wanted them lol. Two ended up pretty much right on center give or take half an inch, I say that was luck.

So anyone have any advice? I've never had a problem like I said with not holding it steady, but other times it wasn't windy either.

Also I had to buy a new pair of ear plugs...I got them from walmart, they are blue, say whinchester, rated for 26db. Didn't take notice to after the fact it says "not rated for gunfire". Blah, they helped alittle but damn.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Shooting tips?

It's tough to diagnose a problem like that on the Internet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Today I went to the range, and shot a full box of WWB 50 rounds. It wasn't windy when I got there, got set up and it got windy so that kind of sucked.

The one thing today that sucked, was I couldn't hold my Glock 19 steady. I've never had this problem, I paused for a few, breathed, tried again and notta, I lined up the sights to where I wanted, and they were always off center. Only a few had decent grouping, just not where I wanted them lol. Two ended up pretty much right on center give or take half an inch, I say that was luck.

So anyone have any advice? I've never had a problem like I said with not holding it steady, but other times it wasn't windy either.

Also I had to buy a new pair of ear plugs...I got them from walmart, they are blue, say whinchester, rated for 26db. Didn't take notice to after the fact it says "not rated for gunfire". Blah, they helped alittle but damn.
    How long have you been shooting?

With the limited info, your age, and the assumption your a newer shooter, it sounds like you just require some training on the professional level to not only make you a better shooter, but a more comfortable shooter.

That, and some good old 1 on 1 time with your glock on the range.

Practice,Practice and more Practice,wind will have little effect at a short range,Especially pistol distance...Are you shooting one handed or 2 handed? If 2 handed use the push pull method, Firing hand pushing,non firing hand pulling back..Make it equal pressure between the 2 of pushing and pulling..Try that and see if that helps..

You should have a neutral grip on your gun. Both hands should have an equal amount of force. Grip it about as tight as you would a hammer. Always bring the gun to your eyes, never move your head to the gun. Focus on your front sight, it should be the only thing crystal clear. Make sure the gap on either side of the front sight is always equal. Make sure the top of the front sight is even with the top of the rear sight. Slowly squeeze the trigger and let it surprise you. Always try to keep the sight picture exactly the same.

Buy Brian Enos's book Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals on www.brianenos.com. Best book EVER on shooting. I've read it at least 4x and I learn something new everytime.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm 21, I've been shooting here and there with my friends glocks, then I bought mine awhile ago and finally got some range time by myself and didn't have to feel rushed or anything. I did have a good grip, the only thing I can recall I moved my head towards it a little, instead of moving it towards me. I used two hands. Most of the shots seemed to be to the right side, so I don't know if it was just me not lining the sights up correctly and thinking they were when they were not or some other factor. I just need to find more range ammo to go back, but that isn't easy anymore.

(Northumberland County)

i improved my shooting by keeping one eye open and the other eye half open it help prevent the (daydream stare), i dont know if it will work for you it works for me.

(Allegheny County)

have you ever had a lesson or had someone who really knows how to shoot give you guidance? Learning the right way now can save you a lifetime of trying to break bad habits or not ever being past just a decent shooter.

As was mentioned, helping with shooting is often a one-on-one thing that is best done in person. There are signs that coaches look for and are too numerous to try to type in one post.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    i'm not sure i completely understand what you are describing, but it sounds like you mean your hands (and thus the gun) was "shaky"?

if so, i have a couple ideas about possible issues:

1. too tense. you may have been gripping the gun too hard. your shoulders and arms may have been too tense, etc. this can be a self-reinforcing problem as you get frustrated about the "shakiness" and, thus, get even more tense which leads to even more shakiness. try to just relax and purposefully make sure you are not tensing your muscles.

uncle sam taught me a way to do this...start at the top of your head and, moving through your neck and shoulders then down your arms and out to your hands and then through your torso down your legs to your feet--tense and then relax every individual muscle in your body in series. by the time you get to the end you will either be asleep or just completely relaxed. the application i was taught this for was to be able to get some sleep in extremely stressful environments, but i have also found that doing it before shooting (or other activities) can help me to relax and, thus, perform better.

2. blood sugar levels screwed up. this can cause the "shakes". try taking some clif bars or something like that with you to the range. if you find this happening to you, take a little break and eat a clif bar and drink some water. this will help to normalize your blood sugar levels.

just some ideas...might be something else completely.

oh, and as others have mentioned, there is no substitute for quality in person instruction. definitely get some. (btw, this applies as much to very experienced shooters as it does to new guys...everyone at every level can benefit from being observed/guided by a quality instructor.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 28th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i improved my shooting by keeping one eye open and the other eye half open it help prevent the (daydream stare), i dont know if it will work for you it works for me.
    Yeah, I had to close one, I am right handed but had the left open that seemed to work a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    have you ever had a lesson or had someone who really knows how to shoot give you guidance? Learning the right way now can save you a lifetime of trying to break bad habits or not ever being past just a decent shooter.

As was mentioned, helping with shooting is often a one-on-one thing that is best done in person. There are signs that coaches look for and are too numerous to try to type in one post.
    I've had some friends help me out, the next time I can go I am going to try to take my step dad, hes been shooting rifles and pistols for years. He was the one that took notice some of my shots favored the right side.

LittleRedToyota,

I'll have to try taking those or something like them with me. the #1 problem I had to today, was I couldn't hold my pistol steady, like I started out fine, then just got shaky, which is odd because I've never had that problem before. Granted I've never been shooting on a hot day after sweating my ass off either, so could be that as well, or too tense...I know towards the end I had a pretty hard grip.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; April 28th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast