Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Unhappy High Standard .22 Supermatic

I have an old High Standard Supermatic .22LR pistol with a broken firing pin.
    Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the slide? It seems there may be a sequence because I can drift two of the three pins out with no problem. The pin retaining the firing pin will not budge. I have to be doing something wrong here.

(Chester County)

Default Re: High Standard .22 Supermatic

what submodel Supermatic do you have (ex: Citation, trophy, tournament)?

Looking at schematic for Supermatic in general I don't see anything special about the Firing Pin retention pin. It looks like it should drift out. I wonder if through the years the pin was either bent or ridges formed internally because it appears to have constant pressure applied to the rear by the firing pin spring.

Did you try pushing the firing pin forward while drifting the pin so the firing pin is not in contact? Did you try drifting the pin from both directions (top of slide, bottom of slide) - I would think that from the bottom would be the logical direction.

(Susquehanna County)

Contact these guys about doing the repair for you. They are quite good
    http://www.highstandard.com/
    BTW you probably won't have to send them the whole gun just the slide assembly.
    If you decide you want to do it yourself nad need repair parts try http://www.brownells.com/

Almost forgot, there are schematic "exploded drawings" on the HS website also.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

I appreciate the link to High Standard. I will probably contact them if I can't figure this out for myself. It seemed simple enough looking at the diagram and yes, the pins come out through the top. But that pesky firing pin retaining pin just won't budge. I'll play with it for a bit and see if I can get it out.

I'm not sure what model it is. The box only says Supermatic. It's an old one; maybe 1950's. 6 3/4" barrel. Been soaking the slide in liquid wrench but it feels like it's in to stay. Bent two 1/16" punches so far and I haven't been wailing at it either. Trying not to booger it up. It's in nice shape.