Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Carry on State Game land range?

Ok... I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer... so if this has been covered before, my appologies.

Is it legal to carry a LOADED open and/or concealed pistol at a State Gamelands range? I saw several when I was up there... but the rules seem pretty clear that it ISN'T allowed.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carry on State Game land range?

the rules posted at the various ranges prohibit loaded firearms forward of the firing points...it makes no differentiation between concealed or open carry...thus I assume that a PAGCO who feels like being a "strict interpreter of the rules" can go ahead and cite you for failure to follow the posted rules if you do.

when I'm there, and packing, I do so concealed and carry anyway, I choose to do so knowing I can probably be fined.

I feel that my safety is worth more than thier possible fine.

you'll just have to go on your best judgement knowing that the rules prohibit it.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

I carry concealed there also,not to go against the rules but like Jaybell said I carry to protect myself. If you ever shot at the free PGC ranges sometimes it gets a little unsafe there.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Montgomery County)

"unsafe" is an understatement

basically, as has happened, if some moron starts shooting at the 25yd line when I'm checking targets at 100yds, I might need to return fire
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

Thanks.

I was carrying openly and unloaded (but I had a full mag in my pocket)... I guess that could be a compromise.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    "unsafe" is an understatement

basically, as has happened, if some moron starts shooting at the 25yd line when I'm checking targets at 100yds, I might need to return fire
    I used "unsafe" as not to scare him away from going there. But I'm sure our combined horror stories could easily do that! My advice get there before 8AM
    to set up and at 8AM start shooting and get out of dodge before it gets crowded. Now on a weekday you should be OK but carry anyway!

(Carbon County)

Cool Re: Carry on State Game land range?

JimmyC, I agree. Get there early on a weekend and during the week you should be ok. I carry on the range concealed for the same reasons as mentioned. Way TOO many unsafe/uneducated shooters out there.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sfdefender View Post
    JimmyC, I agree. Get there early on a weekend and during the week you should be ok. I carry on the range concealed for the same reasons as mentioned. Way TOO many unsafe/uneducated shooters out there.
    Reminds me of a story, Once upon a time at the PGC range off of route 23. I was shooting my M1A and stopped to reload after my 3 round assault on the helpless paper target. I looked to my right and saw a horrible scene a barefoot toddler walking around the tables just in a diaper and NO HEARING OR EYE PROTECTION ON!! To make it even worse the child was just barely stopped from running downrange while people were firing!!!! It ruined my whole day to think of what could have happened.

(Butler County)

hey guys,

i was also curious about this exact question and wasn't able to find a definitive answer anywhere online, so i decided to just give a call to my regional game commission office to clarify. here is what he said:

it IS LEGAL to carry a concealed weapon w/ a valid LTCF permit anywhere on the range(this includes behind and in front of the firing line), but it is NOT LEGAL to OPEN CARRY any firearm..loaded or unloaded. if the firearm is physically visable in any way, it must be on the firing line bench or in a case.

so as long as you have your LTCF permit and have it concealed, there shouldn't be any problems. hope this helps

(Lackawanna County)

Yes, I am going to leave my pistol on the range bench when I walk down to check my targets!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast