Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Michaux St. Forest Range

Google map here. If you switch to the satellite view, and zoom in, you'll see the gravel lane a little south of the map marker. The large gray rectangle is the main pistol range.

I'm a member there, and I'd be happy to show you the grounds in person.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

Upper Adams isn't as close as the other 2 (Chambersburg and Waynesboro) but it is inexpensive ($15 per year plus $5 initiation for the first year), Friendly, and best of all, not super busy in general which is nice. It's not super hard to get there, there are a couple of ways to get there from 30
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Franklin County)

Well hello again...
    I didn't expect an answer so quickly, so sorry for the delayed response. I'm just now checking back in....
    Minutes after I posted about where to find a range, I looked up the Waynesboro Fish and Game Club and decided to pay them a visit. I've driven on Fish and Game road a few times but never had any reason to go down the end with the actual club on it.

Glad I did, though. I was impressed. Really clean (which I LOVE), and they had a trap (which I also love).
    I got home around 5pm and called them up. I was caught off guard when someone actually answered. The guy(Mr. Miller) said I could come over that evening and sign up if I wanted to....so I did. I signed up my fiancee and 10 year old, too. Everybody seemed pretty nice over there.
    Can't beat a nice range and trap only 3 miles from my house.

So thanks for the tips anyway gnbrotz, cheeseybacon, and jb12string.
    If any of you want to go plinking with me, let me know. I still have to wait, obviously, on the membership... but considering I was a life scout, I think they'll vote a unanimous "yay" in my favor...

Take care...
    pbg

(Franklin County)

3725 Warm Spring Rd
    Chambersburg, PA 17202
    (717) 369-3966
    I believe you have to know a member to get an application - I could be wrong though - I'm trying to get one through a friend of a friend. Hopefully it will pan out - I heard it's a decent place to shoot. Don't know good or bad 1st hand though.
    I go up to Caledonia quite often. Take the trash out sometimes and put in a new bag. The range is beat - I guess they had a little BBQ there a little bit ago. Burned up the backstop. I'd like to see them pick a spot where you can get at least 100 yds. Of coarse even if they made it the ultimate your gonna get dirt bags that gotta think there something by shooting up everything. Some people just don't get it or don't care.

(Franklin County)

Hey folks - just curious if anyone has a latest word on the Michaux ranges for this summer. To be honest I'm not even sure if the park DNCR is officially 'open' for the season(though I bet they're already started on trail/park work). I'll give them a call maybe this upcoming weekend some time.

I go up there quite often for some mountain biking, but this would be a first for the range. I wonder if I could bike unloaded in? As far as I know handguns are not permitted in state parks, even with CC permit.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
    As far as I know handguns are not permitted in state parks, even with CC permit.
    Yes they are. The change went into effect in mid-December 08.

Furthermore, the range is not in the state park, it's in the state forest. Big difference.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Furthermore, the range is not in the state park, it's in the state forest.
    Good point,

-and-

Yes they are. The change went into effect in mid-December 08.
    thanks for the update, I hadn't heard.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
    Hey folks - just curious if anyone has a latest word on the Michaux ranges for this summer. To be honest I'm not even sure if the park DNCR is officially 'open' for the season(though I bet they're already started on trail/park work). I'll give them a call maybe this upcoming weekend some time.

I go up there quite often for some mountain biking, but this would be a first for the range. I wonder if I could bike unloaded in? As far as I know handguns are not permitted in state parks, even with CC permit.
    I was up to the pistol range about two weeks ago, The back stops are still bout half together, but useable, for a while, didn't go up to the rifle range but heard someone shooting up there. It was a muddy mess getting in there tho!
    Last edited by SI Gordon; March 17th, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: mess up

(Franklin County)

I used the pistol range Tuesday morning for about an hour. Had the place to myself. Two of the 3 backstops were usable. Typical trash (left over targets) from the previous users. I heard someone up on the rifle range.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Hmmmmm. Seeing as I am now in Chambersburg, it would probably benefit me to check out this so-called Chambersburg Pistol and Rifle club. Where is it located?
    Well, if you are interested in LONG RANGE rifle, you could do worse than St. Thomas Sportsmens Club, at the end of Sportsmans Lane, just off Appleway, 1 mile north of US 30, and 8 miles west of Chbg.

90-something acres wooded, up against the mountain (BIG backstop)
    50, 100, 200, 300, & 400yd rifle, (a dozen concrete solid benches under roof)
    a 22 silhoouettte range, 16 firing points,
    three trap ranges,
    a black powder range with 60' of cover, ranges at 25, 50, 75, & 100 yds, and a sort of "pistol range"which might be ex-panded if there is enough interest.
    an 80 to 100 target archery walk-around range, indoor archery in the winter, and on, and on, and . . . .

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Sa...3&geocode=CITY

That will get you there, if you even have to cut and paste the entire llink. Or as above, 8 West to Appleway, 1 North to Sportsmens, and Left on Sptsm. to the end of the road, 1/2 mile

Or, call me and I'll take you up and show you around. , PM me for phone # , bring guns and come up as my guest for an afternoon.

Flash

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast