Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Michaux St. Forest Range

Yep, I was shooting there during Thanksgiving as well. It hasn't gone anywhere. They now have markers in place at 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards with little platforms on top of them just big enough to hold a box of ammo and a few magazines.

edit: Man, that was really a nice day when I took that picture, I wish the weather was better. Winter sucks.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Toaster9123 View Post
    Is that different from Caledonia range? Maybe its that one thats closed (assuming its not the same one).

There used to be a range closer to the Caledonia camp grounds, not too far from the Hosack camp grounds, if my memory serves me correctly. Too many campers complained about the noise though so they shut that range down, perhaps that's the range you're thinking of? The one we're talking about is a mile or two down the road near the Long Pine Run reservoir.

(Lancaster County)

I just want to add a comment to this thread for people unfamiliar with this range.

I was out that way today and ran into a DCNR officer who told me that you need a permit to use this range. Since it was a Sunday, the DCNR office was closed; in summer, he told me, the park rangers at Caledonia State Park will issue permits on the weekend. Unfortunately in winter, the office at Caledonia is closed, so I wasn't able to get a permit - I'll have to wait until next time I'm out that way since I also learned that permits are not available through the mail.

(Adams County)

This is a very nice public facility (although I wish the rifle range was longer than 70 yards). I just wonder how long it will remain open with inconsiderate morons shooting up signs and bringing trash, computer parts etc. to use as "targets"? I have also witnessed a few instances where people aren't adhering to the rules regarding capacity restrictions (no more than 6 in a handgun or 3 in a rifle). Whether one agrees with the logic of these restrictions or not, they happen to be the rules ...and are such a small inconvience considering the benefit of having a nice place such as this to shoot. The trash and vandalism issues are completely unacceptable. I suggest that anyone who cares about keeping this range open should get the cellphone number of the Ranger and alert him whenever they see violations, especially vandalism, occuring. If we don't become more "self policing" we will likely lose the use of this range due to the sorry actions of a dimwitted few.
    Last edited by The Gettysburg Shadow; February 15th, 2008 at 01:14 AM.

(Franklin County)

I'd have to say I use this range about twice a week and for the most part it is getting better. I shot with a few guys the other day that cleaned every shell and bit of trash that they had brought. But the place is in need of new back stops. Also the DCNR had told us the rules on the capacity limit can be stretched, as long as u are not unloading an ak or ar clip next to a guy that is sighting in his scope, they dont mind if you load more than 5 rounds in your magazine. I know I do cause I hate reloading constantly.

(Cumberland County)

Upper Adams fish and game and Adams county sport handgunners are both ranges that are fairly close and well maintained
    www.uafg.org
    www.acsha.com

(Franklin County)

Thumbs down Rifle range is closed!!!

I had decided to extend my 3-day 4th of July weekend into a 4-day weekend and took off this past Monday. I definitely wanted to do some shooting and decided I'd make my way up to the Michaux St. Forest rifle range to shoot a few groups with my dad's Anschutz. I could have driven 5 minutes to the local Waynesboro Fish and Game club, but I decided to make the trip to Chambersburg because I really like this range and it's peaceful seclusion in the mountains.

As I arrived I was delighted to see that I had the whole range to myself. Unfortunately this was waiting for me:

I walked down the trail to the range to find yet another one at the shooting benches. As it turned out they were plastered everywhere.

At first I was a little confused as to why the place was shut down. I saw a caution sign was quite shot up. I thought that maybe the Park management was pissed and was not sure that they wanted to keep the range open with such idiot behavior going on...

It was only when I looked down range that I realized why the place was really closed. HOLY CRAP! What the hell happened to the backstop?

It seems to me that the backstop was on fire at some point. The question is, what would have caused it? Tannerite targets? API rounds?

Turns out the pistol range is still OK and operational. I didn't have any pistols with me except for my Glock 26. I was really looking forward to doing some shooting by this point and had to resist the urge to shoot my carry ammo.

Default Re: Rifle range is closed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    I had decided to extend my 3-day 4th of July weekend into a 4-day weekend and took off this past Monday. I definitely wanted to do some shooting and decided I'd make my way up to the Michaux St. Forest rifle range to shoot a few groups with my dad's Anschutz. I could have driven 5 minutes to the local Waynesboro Fish and Game club, but I decided to make the trip to Chambersburg because I really like this range and it's peaceful seclusion in the mountains.

As I arrived I was delighted to see that I had the whole range to myself. Unfortunately this was waiting for me:

I walked down the trail to the range to find yet another one at the shooting benches. As it turned out they were plastered everywhere.

At first I was a little confused as to why the place was shut down. I saw a caution sign was quite shot up. I thought that maybe the Park management was pissed and was not sure that they wanted to keep the range open with such idiot behavior going on...

It was only when I looked down range that I realized why the place was really closed. HOLY CRAP! What the hell happened to the backstop?

It seems to me that the backstop was on fire at some point. The question is, what would have caused it? Tannerite targets? API rounds?

Turns out the pistol range is still OK and operational. I didn't have any pistols with me except for my Glock 26. I was really looking forward to doing some shooting by this point and had to resist the urge to shoot my carry ammo.

Can't fix stupid!
    Wish someone here had caught the jacka**'s in the act.
    Outcome would have been good reading!!!!!!
    Idiots held for LEO's at gun-point!!!!!!!!!!!

(Adams County)

Was up there yesterday.
    The pistol range is ok, infact, much better then I excepted.
    But the Rifle range......the above pictures tell the story.
    It looks like it was hit with Mini-Guns.

If anyone can organize a working party I would volunteer.

Bill------------------------>
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Franklin County)

I would volunteer as well, infact my family owns a local hardware complex with access to lumber, plywood, rail road ties, and dumptrucks.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast