Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Question Re: Michaux St. Forest Range

I am totally confused ! I thought that when they tried to put in a gun range in Michaux State Forest that it was defeated due to a city woman that had only recently (then) moved to the other side of the mountain from where the range was to go. Where is this range anyway?!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Michaux St. Forest Range

The range is open just go to the forest office on rt30 and fill out a form. There is no charge and they will give you directions to the range.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmickey View Post
    Where is this range anyway?!
    At the intersection of Route 30 and 233, head north on 233 (that's a left turn if you're coming from Chambersburg). Follow 233 for about 1.6 miles and turn left onto a gravel road, which is the access to the Long Pine Run Reservoir.

Follow the gravel road for about 1.9 miles and turn right just past the reservoir. From there it's about .4 miles. The range will be on the left. It's down a short path, but you should see signs and a small area to park.

Haven't been there for a while, but if you're a gps user, these coords should get you close:

N 39 56.788 W 077 27.080

(Franklin County)

We went thru this a few years ago there.. Wasn't able to sight my hunting rifles in before season started.. Due to a bunch of disrespectful people. The only other PUBlic shooting range is in carlisle pa. I don't have the time to drive that far..It would be a shame to lose this completely!!!!!
    In God We Trust............................

(Franklin County)

I went up there yesterday and its not even worth going anymore. There is no where to hang a target because all the backstops have fallen apart. Its a shame that they have left it go this long without any repairs.
    ----------

Walthers: P99, PPK/s, P22, G22
    Kimber: Eclipse Target II .45

(Franklin County)

I called Rep Rob Kauffman (717-264-3943) on Friday 6-8-07 and asked if his office could do anything to get the ranger to put the backstops up at the range in Michaux.
    I explained that the ranger said he was going to have it done two months ago, and a month ago he said he had to get logs to saw mill? I also explained that their were folks who volunteered on a regular basis but had stopped. I wonder it it was the rangers attitude about the range in general. Perhaps a few more phone calls will light a fire under the ranger

(Franklin County)

Great idea! I'll try to remember to call Rob's office sometime this week too. I also have to call the Forestry office to report an abandoned vehicle I found while hiking this weekend, so I'll mention it to them too.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; June 10th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.

(Franklin County)

Thanks for helping to light the fire. I have emailed, but it has done no good. All they want to talk about is volunteering. I have no trouble being a volunteer but I won't give a minute of my time for a range that everyone can't safely shoot at.
    ----------

Walthers: P99, PPK/s, P22, G22
    Kimber: Eclipse Target II .45

(Franklin County)

I called Rep. Kauffman's office today, and within an hour, they had left a message on my home machine with an update. Here's what was relayed to me from Forestry via Kauffman's office:

• They're going to be working on the range in "about two weeks"
    • The timbers HAVE been cut
    • The pistol range is being moved and there will be two seperate ranges

Also apparently they brought out the "we lost our volunteers" and "manpower is short" lines again. I wonder if the lack of volunteers was because of a lack of response from Forestry? They also stated that while things were in bad shape, it wasn't "unsafe" and they were still issuing permits for the range (I had discussed with Kauffman's office that if Forestry was unable and/or uninterested in maintaining the site properly, that perhaps it should be officially closed).

In my past experience with Forestry, it takes constant reminding to get them to follow through on something. I've experienced this personally when it comes to processing paperwork when I hide a geocache in the State Forest, and also with them picking up trash after an organized clean-up of a Day Use Area. They were aware of the clean-up and committed to picking up everything that was collected afterwards, but it was over two weeks and several "reminder calls" later that they actually did it. I actually had to go back during the interim and rebag some of the trash that animals had gotten into. After everything was finally wrapped up, they had the nerve to call and ask me to fill out a form to become an official "volunteer". They wanted me to report my hours and what I did in the forest (I've heard that they can turn this into $$ for their office). I told them to send me the form, and as soon as I saw they wanted me to provide character references, I knew I wasn't going to follow through. If I need a reference to go out and help keep the forests clean, I'm not interested. I'm not reporting hours, I don't do what I do for the "glory". I do it because I care, and I'll do it when and where I see it needs done.

I found a recently abandoned car while geocaching on Saturday, so I called the office this morning to report it. I was shocked when I got home and had a message from a Ranger wanting some additional info. Didn't expect a response that quick. I'm curious to see how long the car is there, though.

Since I haven't been to the range for a while myself, I decided to go up this afternoon and see exactly how bad it was. Here is what I found:

I'm not exactly sure where I'd hang a target on this "safe" range.

There were also a couple bags of trash by the benches, and a little trash around them on the ground. If I could have gotten in to the handicapped parking, I could have easily thrown them into my truck and would have gladly taken it away. When I make my two-week "check-up", I'll be better prepared in case it's still there.

Since I was going by, I also stopped at the State Park office and inquired about a permit for the range. My work hours don't allow me to get to the Forestry office while they're open. The lady at the park told me she issued them on weekends, but not through the week when Forestry was open. It was after 5:00, so I asked her if the Forestry office had longer hours in the summer, to which she replied "No, they closed at 5". So I asked her, "So you won't issue me a permit today, because I should have got it at Forestry (even though I can't get there when they're open), but if I come back here on Saturday, you'll issue me one then??" She looked put out, and told me she would make an exception and proceeded to issue the permit.

When I arrived at the range, I looked over the permit and rules and saw two things under "Prohibited Acts" that I thought were odd. "It shall be unlawful to"

• Possess a loaded firearm, except at established shooting stations on the firing line. Sounds like a good safety rule, but it prohibits me from having my concealed carry on my person while on the range?
    • Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than six rounds of ammunition. So my .22 rifle (7-round clip) can't be fully loaded, let alone my pistol which holds 10? FWIW, this rule wasn't on the sign at the range, only on my permit.

(Franklin County)

I was up there today and all the lumber to do the back stops are on site, they just have to be installed. (soon I hope)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast