Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: LEGAL AGE TO BUY AR15????

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    I don't know of any law that mandates a private business must sell something to someone.
    Thre isn't any law that says a private business MUST do business with anyone. I was refering to the ongoing saga of requireing FFL's to do the Handgun form SP4-113 on AR's. I do believe that FFL's that do it are violating 6111 but I'm not posative because I ain't a law-yer.

Rich W.

(Allegheny County)

I don't know of any law that mandates a private business must sell something to someone.
    its not that they must sell you something, its that they cant refuse to sell you a product or service without just cause. so if the guy simply didnt want to sell me it even though he knew the law said 18 not 21, and he lied to me, thats breaking the law. at least thats my understanding of it. either way its BS, i was there today buying .22lr rounds and they carded me and said i needed to be 21. i spent 5 mins explaining that they were being used in a long rifle and not a pistol before they finally let me buy them.

(Allegheny County)

If someone wants a cool grand of my hard-earned money, they can sell me what I want. If someone wants to be an asshat about it, I can take my money elsewhere.

In a world where it's sometimes hard to make a difference as one person, vote with your wallet. If a company wants to adhere to questionable ethics, beliefs, etc and that disagrees with you, don't shop there. There are hundreds of small private shops and stores as well as online places that would love to take your money and provide a great product and great service in return.

If that isn't enough, write to corporate and explain to them why they can't have any of your money.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by srtgt500 View Post
    thanks for the fast feedback. can anyone recommend a place around me for buying ammo/gunsmiths/or trying to find an AR? Im in Moon Township, right next to the Pittsburgh Airport. Right now i still go to gander to buy my .22lr ammo but they are starting to give me a hard time about that too. Id like someplace thats second amendment friendly.
    Here's a link to the thread on the Allegheny County sub-forum, located at the bottom of the main PAFOA page just above The Lounge, that has a list of the gun shops around Pittsburgh: List of Shops Around Pittsburgh.

If you see a shop that looks promising, I'd suggest calling first to see if they have any AR's in stock, before you make the drive
    I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony, July 1871

(Allegheny County)

Not that I'm defending the knuckleheads at Gander Mtn; but when I was an FFL in the early 80's, the ATF told us in the "FFL class" that we had the right to refuse selling any gun to any one.

Never bought a gun at Gander, (and from their prices probably never will) but I know that Dunham's is uber-anal. Saw them chase away a grandpap when he wanted to buy a .22 for his grand-kid.

So like others have suggested; shop elsewhere. Your not far from Island Fireams on Neville Island.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Not that I'm defending the knuckleheads at Gander Mtn; but when I was an FFL in the early 80's, the ATF told us in the "FFL class" that we had the right to refuse selling any gun to any one.
    I wasn't defending them either, just pointing out that they weren't violating the law by refusing to sell.

Playing devils advocate, maybe they had other reasons and just didn't want to say so they played it as he was "young and dunmb".

(Allegheny County)

haha, well i am young (20) but not dumb and i dont think i gave him a reason to think that i was. my usmc buddy was guna give me the run down on it before i ever thought of firing it. but thanks everyone for all the advice.

ill definitely check out island firearms since i kinda know where it is and it got a good review on here.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by srtgt500 View Post
    haha, well i am young (20) but not dumb and i dont think i gave him a reason to think that i was.
    Ok, we'll call it young and uneducated

When the salesman turned you away saying you must be 21 in order to buy it, if you knew better, you would've called him on it. So if he was playing you for "young and dumb" it worked.

Sorry, but to many older people, just being 20 gives them reason to think you're young and dumb.

(York County)

Gander's current corp. policy is to not sell any AR style firearms to anyone under the age of 21, due to the PSP's supposed upcoming changes regarding weapons that can easily be converted into handguns.
    Just shop somewhere else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12