Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default What is the best AR-15 for the money?

Going to York gun show next weekend and I see myself walking out with an AR-15 rather than waiting another year for my LR .308 to come in. My question is with so many manufacturers out there, which would be the best deal for under $1000. And I don't mean $999.99, cuz I want to pick up some ammo and mags there too.

Heard good things about DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster. What are the prices on these models? Are there other manufacturers that I could also consider? Here is what I want:

16 inch barrel (carbine)
    standard front sight
    removable carry handle/rear sight
    standard hand-guards
    collapsible butt stock

(York County)

Default Re: What is the best AR-15 for the money?

I don't think you'll find a new rifle within your budget...definitely not a Rock River.

There's a local (Hanover) online dealer, Eastcoast Firearms who has had pretty decent prices on used Bushmasters. I almost bought one from him for just under $800 (2 years ago!!!), but went for an RRA instead.
    Of course, you can peruse the PAFOA classifieds too.

(Allegheny County)

If you throw Smith and Wessons MP15 series in there we can officially condense 3 of the first 15 threads in this forum.

Any M4gery of major manufacture will meet your requirements listed. As for price... what they were, or should be, have nothing to do with what you are going to pay at the show so you'll just have to decide what you are willing to fork over.

I have a DPMS, and a friend with an RRA and a Bushmaster. I don't have any particular problems with mine, despite what you may read about them online. And I have nothing bad to report about the Bushmaster either. The RRA is a 2X" big barreled std stock varmint style setup so I'll leave it out of this comparison. Although from what I've seen it has no problems doing its job either.

From the abuse I have seen the Bushmaster take first hand through thousands of rounds of steel case without a decent cleaning... time trials... shits and giggles shooting... (back to back to back mag dumps) I wouldn't hesitate owning one. But that's to assume they are all so durable as his. Which isn't likely.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    Going to York gun show next weekend and I see myself walking out with an AR-15 rather than waiting another year for my LR .308 to come in. My question is with so many manufacturers out there, which would be the best deal for under $1000. And I don't mean $999.99, cuz I want to pick up some ammo and mags there too.

Heard good things about DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster. What are the prices on these models? Are there other manufacturers that I could also consider? Here is what I want:

16 inch barrel (carbine)
    standard front sight
    removable carry handle/rear sight
    standard hand-guards
    collapsible butt stock
    Its pretty hard to find a AR for under 1 grand , Bushmaster is a pretty good bang for the buck.

(Allegheny County)

I seen an NIB Oly Arms "Plinker Plus" for $7XX.00 a dealer in Indiana, first time I ever seen one. It's the KISS concept; A1 upper, fixed butt, CAR-16 barrel and CAR HGs. Looked super well made for the price.

That's probably your CHEAPEST factory built AR out there followed by the DPMS Panther Lite which is similar to the Oly in terms of a KISS gun.

If its an M4rgery of any brand its expensive these days.

(Lawrence County)

M4gery in your range? Gotta be a Stag.

Otherwise, build a kit gun........if you can find the parts.

Lycantoughouttherethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I have been to three gun shows since Obama got to the White House. ALL of the gun shows had jacked up prices, betting, I am sure on the hysteria. I doubt you will find anything, even used and abused, for under $1000. Good luck.

Btw, here are a couple of posts on ARs. The first one is huge and gives more info than you can read in one sitting. Some is opinion but most is fact.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm

(Montgomery County)

Oh boy another which AR to buy thread .

Here is what i consider to be top tier AR manufactures.

Colt
    LMT
    Noveske

Lower on the list
    S&W M&P 15
    Charles Daly

Lower on the list
    Stag
    RRA
    Bushmaster

Bottom of the list
    DPMS
    Oly

I know a lot of people will tell you that there DPMS / Oly runs fine and is just as good as a Colt---and it might run fine, but they aren't even in the same game as Colt. If you are just a casual shooter---maybe 100rnds at the range every so often--then any of these AR's listed will work. If you plan to take rifle courses and use your AR for SHTF, i'd stick to the top two groups. If you absoultly must go into group 3, i like the Stags over BM and RRA.

My favorite (easy to find AR) is the Colt. You can find colt 6920's for about $1400 these days. I'd say spend once cry once.

I just can't see spending over 1k on an AR and not spending a little more to get the Colt. I know you said under 1K but it is going to be real hard to find something---especially at a gun show.

(Berks County)

Take a look at Doublestar. My father-in-law just purchased one and it has all the features you're looking for. I put it aside my Rock River CAR A4 with detachable handguard and it looks identical. Same great quality. He got it for 950 bucks three weeks ago.

-Scott

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Oh boy another which AR to buy thread .

Here is what i consider to be top tier AR manufactures.

Colt
    LMT
    Noveske

Lower on the list
    S&W M&P 15
    Charles Daly

Lower on the list
    Stag
    RRA
    Bushmaster

Bottom of the list
    DPMS
    Oly

I know a lot of people will tell you that there DPMS / Oly runs fine and is just as good as a Colt---and it might run fine, but they aren't even in the same game as Colt.

Edited by Roy
    First AR I looked at was a Colt HBAR Sporter in the late 80's. Guy I worked with was selling it since it was a jam-o-matic. Too bad, cool looking, but I didn't need a rifle I had to baby.
    Colt has a name, but that's all it has (other then a bigger price tag).
    I've read the "spec sheet" comparison of AR's posted here now and then. One "selling" point is the barrels are MPI'd. Do you even know what that is? It's a magnetic particle test...that's all. Not a big thing...I've been doing it on and off for 30 years..and most things do not crack. All the rest of it..."MIL-SPEC"...nothing special and commercial specs (ANSI, for one) are superceding most of the Mil-Specs.
    So, don't even try to feed us that Colts make a better rifle...an equivalent, yes...better? Purely a subjective opinion.

So, they're all pretty much in the same league.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast