Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Tip?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Storage Tip?

Alright, I was thinking about this before I came back to Japan. If you shouldn't store mags loaded due to mag spring fatigue, doesn't the same apply to the fire control of a rifle, pistol, or shotgun? Meaning, the springs that control the hammers, dont they fatigue? Would it be a better idea to dry fire before storage?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Storage Tip?

Some people would say that you should decock the rifle or pistol before palceing it into storage. I am not convinced one way or the other.
    Last edited by normanvin; April 26th, 2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Alright, I was thinking about this before I came back to Japan. If you shouldn't store mags loaded due to mag spring fatigue, doesn't the same apply to the fire control of a rifle, pistol, or shotgun? Meaning, the springs that control the hammers, dont they fatigue? Would it be a better idea to dry fire before storage?
    Loaded mags don`t cause spring to fatigue. You can keep them loaded. Compressing and decompressing springs is what fatigues them.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Loaded mags don`t cause spring to fatigue. You can keep them loaded. Compressing and decompressing springs is what fatigues them.
    That's news to me. I've always thought that keeping a full mag = more stress on the spring = fatigue. I thought that's why people rotate mags and/or dont keep fully loaded mags.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    That's news to me. I've always thought that keeping a full mag = more stress on the spring = fatigue. I thought that's why people rotate mags and/or dont keep fully loaded mags.
    Nope, it's a myth. I've had mags loaded for over 5 years. When i take them out to shoot, they still feed / work fine. The other myth is to only load 28 rounds in a mag insted of 30 to help prevent spring fatigue.

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Storage Tip?

Heres a thought....

Many years ago when I turned 21, I bought my first handgun Ruger P85 DC..
    We owned 1500 acres and I would spend most of my time OC'ing back in my woods. Well, somewhere along the line I lost a mag fully loaded with Eagle talons.. I married, moved away, parents sold and bought another house.Flash forward 2007---The people who bought our old house called my father to ask a question about construction and happen to mention that he found a gun magazine and would he like it back? The guy found it while gardening..So I get the mag, it's still loaded. Its rusted but not as bad as you would think after being outside for that long. I emptied it...Bullets in good condition....Spring intact....Took it apart and cleaned it up put a new blue on it. Still functioned fine...It went with the gun...

So, spring fatigue????

So, being loaded for at least 10 years laying outside.. Sounds like Ruger made a great product..

(Philadelphia County)

No, loading to 28 rounds is neither a myth nor to prevent spring fatigue. Al USGI magazines were designed to hold and feed 30 rounds, however they were designed to do this with the bolt open. When the bolt is closed the tension of the magazine spring sometimes prevents the magazine from seating properly. Downloading 30's with 28 rounds relieves some of this tension making the magazine more able to seat reliably under a closed bolt. Modern Thermoplastic magazines such as those offered by Magpul and Tango Down are designed to not only hold and feed 30 rounds reliably but to do so under a closed bolt.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Allegheny County)

In my experience, you're more likely to see the feed lips opening up a little from keeping mags loaded for extensive periods of time before the spring will lose tension...but then I only saw that with the crappy USGI mags that have probably been in the Army since the Vietnam war.....
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force! Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    No, loading to 28 rounds is neither a myth nor to prevent spring fatigue. Al USGI magazines were designed to hold and feed 30 rounds, however they were designed to do this with the bolt open. When the bolt is closed the tension of the magazine spring sometimes prevents the magazine from seating properly. Downloading 30's with 28 rounds relieves some of this tension making the magazine more able to seat reliably under a closed bolt. Modern Thermoplastic magazines such as those offered by Magpul and Tango Down are designed to not only hold and feed 30 rounds reliably but to do so under a closed bolt.
    Sounds about Right,Even with the Old 20 rounder's from 'The Nam' they were recommended to only load 18 rounds for the same reason stated above, You can try it at home, it will seat but with some difficultly, now imagine trying under Combat. It's just easier to download. and yes, what everyone else says, It's OK to store magazines Loaded.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Some rifles have trouble stripping rounds from fully loaded magazines, but will run better if you only load to 28.

I've heard of feedlips spreading from being left fully loaded also. I'm told that this is why the PMag covers press down on the rounds, rather than just covering the opening.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast