Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Election for Sheriff in Butler

I have seen yard signs for the election of County Sheriff in Butler. I decided to look the two persons that are on those signs: Mike Slupe & Scott Roskovski. The only thing I can find on Scott Roskovski is that he is on Linked in http://www.linkedin.com/search?pplSe...kovski&search= with no way to contact him. I did find that Mike Slupe did have a website http://www.mikeslupe.com/Home_Page.php .

I sent him an e-mail about open carry, since he said he supported the 2nd amendment and I received the following reply:

"My stance on open carry is that you have the right to do so. It is rare, but it is your right. I will follow the laws and regulations regarding the PA UFA."

I was greatly appreciative of his response (both the quick response and the answer itself).

I have sent him the Training Bulletin, the Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyer and the proposed HB750 to give him a bit of information to chew on.

Seems like I have a Sheriff to vote for in May!
    John Stuart Mill noted: ‘A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.’

(Butler County)

Default Re: Election for Sheriff in Butler

Looks like Mike Slupe is a good candidate. He is a member of the NRA too.

Views and Positions

* I will protect your 2nd amendment rights (if you're eligible for a gun permit now, the same standards apply when I become Sheriff.)

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Butler County)

Good Morning All,

I hope that I can convince you otherwise to look another direction. I am Roland Livermore and I am running unoppose in the MAY primary for Butler County Sheriff. I have much proven Experience as well as proven Leadership in Law Enforcement. I have been employed by the second largest police department [PITTSBURGH's FINEST]. My Wife and I elected to move back to Butler county to raise our two children in the process, we now have a third. I am an activate Firearm's Instructor. To my knowledge, the other two candidate's are not. I am proud to carry a firearm as well as instruct a person on how to shoot a weapon. Please take the time to go to my website and view my credentials and guestbook to what others have said about me. I want to thank you for this opportunity to voice my position. I am looking forward to serving the Butler County residents.

So my stand is: I am against gun control. However, as the Sheriff of Butler County, it will be my job to contend with those who don't qualify to carry a weapon per local, state, and federal laws. If you meet the standards set by our forefathers than a gun permit will be issued. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The guns are a tool for sport and for protection, but every once a while bad people take a life and our laws are set in place to handle these people. It isn't handled swiftly but it does get handled.

Best Regards,

Roland Livermore

www.friendsofroland.com

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by drivesafe3348 View Post
    Good Morning All,

I hope that I can convince you otherwise to look another direction. I am Roland Livermore and I am running unoppose in the MAY primary for Butler County Sheriff. I have much proven Experience as well as proven Leadership in Law Enforcement. I have been employed by the second largest police department [PITTSBURGH's FINEST]. My Wife and I elected to move back to Butler county to raise our two children in the process, we now have a third. I am an activate Firearm's Instructor. To my knowledge, the other two candidate's are not. I am proud to carry a firearm as well as instruct a person on how to shoot a weapon. Please take the time to go to my website and view my credentials and guestbook to what others have said about me. I want to thank you for this opportunity to voice my position. I am looking forward to serving the Butler County residents.

So my stand is: I am against gun control. However, as the Sheriff of Butler County, it will be my job to contend with those who don't qualify to carry a weapon per local, state, and federal laws. If you meet the standards set by our forefathers than a gun permit will be issued. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The guns are a tool for sport and for protection, but every once a while bad people take a life and our laws are set in place to handle these people. It isn't handled swiftly but it does get handled.

Best Regards,

Roland Livermore

www.friendsofroland.com
    Mr. Livermore,
    Thanks for coming on to PAFOA and letting us know that you are out there and willing to join the 'radicals' (my word).

As one of the very few citizens in Butler County that carries their weapon openly, I am curious as to whether you are supportive of open carry?

Please don't take what I am about to say as a knock on you. In Pennsylvania, there are no gun permits. Only a License To Carry Firearms. As you are an active firearms instructor, I am a bit surprised that you said it that way.

You can see a few files that I have attached that may help further understand some of the mindset here. The HB750 is a bill that has been presented in the State House, but not as yet (as far as I know) been voted on.

Regards,

Steve B.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John Stuart Mill noted: ‘A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.’

(Butler County)

Hey Steve,

First off, I wish to apologize to you for using the gun permit language (I see it was used previously as well). I guess my old school shows a bit. Growing up and working in the law enforcement field, it was standard to use "GUN PERMIT". I can preceive your point for utilizing the word license as oppose to permit. Our Second Amendent right awards us the right to carry. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, (although uncommon) we can open carry or display our weapons in public view. I have, at times, opened carried as well.

As I read your forum, I like the passion that is shown through your postings. You not only ask the question, but you follow up by attaching the materials for me and others to view. You passed along the current bill in Congress to support. And finally, you are educating those who desire to know more with this topic.

In closing, I trust you will except my explanation for my old school mentality. I applaud you for seeking out the candidates and their views. It shows you care enough to make a sound judgment and not just pull a lever.

I want to thank you of caring about protecting our 2nd amendment right to bear arms.

Best regards,

Roland Livermore

www.friendsofroland.com

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by drivesafe3348 View Post
    Hey Steve,

First off, I wish to apologize to you for using the gun permit language (I see it was used previously as well). I guess my old school shows a bit. Growing up and working in the law enforcement field, it was standard to use "GUN PERMIT". I can preceive your point for utilizing the word license as oppose to permit. Our Second Amendent right awards us the right to carry. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, (although uncommon) we can open carry or display our weapons in public view. I have, at times, opened carried as well.

As I read your forum, I like the passion that is shown through your postings. You not only ask the question, but you follow up by attaching the materials for me and others to view. You passed along the current bill in Congress to support. And finally, you are educating those who desire to know more with this topic.

In closing, I trust you will except my explanation for my old school mentality. I applaud you for seeking out the candidates and their views. It shows you care enough to make a sound judgment and not just pull a lever.

I want to thank you of caring about protecting our 2nd amendment right to bear arms.

Best regards,

Roland Livermore

www.friendsofroland.com

What is your position on Class 3 weapons and citizen ownership thereof?

(Butler County)

About the "gun permit" in the other reply. That was a quote from Mike Slupe's website. I have passed to him about the LTCF as well.

Gotta treat you guys fairly!

BTW, I can be anal about some things.. but terminology is not one of them. I just point things out. Shucks.. I have three other fingers pointing back at me!

I used to say "clip" for a magazine and "bullet" for cartridge!

(Butler County)

I have always been uneasy with the words "license" and "permit". Both convey a concept of government allowing carrying a gun. The purpose of both is to check the background of an individual and of course to make money. Anything more makes it an infringement on the Second Amendment.

(Butler County)

I do stand corrected. As for definitions, they are the same.

I have been wrong before and will be wrong again but I think that you will find on many websites (forums) that the word "license" has less of a "the government has given me permission to have a firearm" than does "permit." Semantics is not my strong suit. shucks... I don't even know if I have a strong suit.

But what I have passed is great information gleaned by reading folks like Rich Banks and Greg Rotz.

(Butler County)

This seems to be a person that wants to support the communities of Butler County. My hat goes off to you, sir.

http://www.friendsofroland.com/issues.htm

PLATFORM ISSUES

There are many topics and concerns to address throughout the first four years. My focus will be the residents along with maintaining safety throughout the court system. The residents must know what the Sheriff's office can do as well as what they are all about. The sheriff performs various duties and has much responsibility. The sheriff is a "peace officer", mandated to keep the peace and quell disturbances. He can make arrests, conduct searches, seize property that is used illegally, remove nuisances, and issue firearm licenses. A sheriff can also act as a coroner when that office is vacant. Originally, sheriffs were in charge of jails and prisons throughout the counties of Pennsylvania; however, this is no longer common practice. He also performs tasks concerning the maintenance of order during elections. But more importantly, the office maintains the safety of the courts by assuring the Judges, jurors, judicial staff, witnesses, defendants, victims, visitors and residents of Butler County.

The sheriff is an "Officer of the Courts". He serves writs, processes, orders, and notices issued by the courts. He takes part in the selection of jurors and is responsible for summoning them. The sheriff makes civil arrests, takes bail in civil cases and conducts prisoners to their place of confinement. He is responsible for the execution of various judgments of the courts, including the sale of real estate and personal property. After such a sale, the sheriff distributes the proceeds to the parties entitled to them and makes a return to the court.

The Sheriff and Deputy's are always available to assist the Butler County residents and their Law Enforcement community. I would like expound on Sheriff Rickard's 28 years of service by taking the next step to implement cost saving duties.

I would like to give the gun owners the opportunity to come to the office to renew their gun license or fill out a renewal form online. This will save the taxpayers time and money. However, those applying for new permits will be required to come in to have a face-to-face meeting with me or my designee.

I would like to implement a Warrant Squad/Tactical Team for close to 1400 bench warrants to be served in Butler County. Now, we cannot serve all the warrants at one time but we can sure make Butler safe by taking steps to prioritize who should be served or picked up first. I would utilize the team to work with the state and local authorities to assist in emergencies situations when they should arise.

Next, Butler County residents should be able to be informed when an emergency develops. They shouldn't receive it from the evening news. I would like to start an alert system through a grant program to inform the residents of approaching danger. Such as, a tornado warning, a chemical spill, a lost child and a fugitive on the run.

Drugs and violence seem to be an issue across the nation; I will seek out a grant to purchase a K-9 to be readily available. The dog will be trained for either drugs or bomb detection. I will check across the county and see what direction to be the best.

I would like to put into operation firearms safety classes for those residents interested in learning how to shoot a gun. There are many Deputies who have the knowledge and eagerness to train those wishing to learn how to use a firearm. This training will aid a person on whether to own a gun, gain confidence on how to use a firearm and the safety precautions when owning a firearm.

I will continue to keep the crime prevention program and expand the program by bringing the Explorers program back. This program will encourage the high school students who wish to enter into the field of Criminal Justice a first look behind the scenes to the Law Enforcement, Judicial system, prison system, and other agencies to shape the young minds of Butler Area High Schools.

I am a firm believer in Education; I will continue to make sure the deputies are receiving their required training. I will encourage them to further their training with other training such as NIMS, ICS and many others topics to aid the County.

When I take office, I promise to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the Butler County Sheriff's Office to the best of my abilities and support the Butler county residents as far as my duties allow.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast