Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Ben Franklin on "Why the Rattlesnake?"

I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids—She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.—She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.—As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America?
    I hope that the RKBA movement realizes the difference between time to "rattle" and time to "fang", and I hope our politicians heed the numerous warnings they are being given.

Default Re: Ben Franklin on "Why the Rattlesnake?"

Dont tred on me!
    haha I just drew that in my note book in class a week ago...
    ΑΣΦ

(Bucks County)

I must say, deep thinkers as this, who seem to have been quite numerous in Colonial times, rarely exist anymore.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thatJeffguy View Post

"I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids—She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance.—She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage.—As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shewn and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal:—Conscious of this, she never wounds till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.—Was I wrong, Sir, in thinking this a strong picture of the temper and conduct of America? "

I hope that the RKBA movement realizes the difference between time to "rattle" and time to "fang", and I hope our politicians heed the numerous warnings they are being given.

In all the studying I have done on Franklin, I actually never came across that tidbit. You learned me something today,.. Thank you.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    In all the studying I have done on Franklin, I actually never came across that tidbit. You learned me something today,.. Thank you.
    Agreed. And for those interested, here's a Wikipedia entry which references the text, and provides citations:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsden_flag
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas