Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping Answers (to questions that are often asked)

You could have been covered by this statement from the BATFE:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

However, In this case it would be tough to ship them to yourself because you are here in PA right now, and the statement deals with YOU shipping them to yourself, not having someone in your family shipping them to you.

I don't see a way that you can get them at this point in time.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You could have been covered by this statement from the BATFE:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

However, In this case it would be tough to ship them to yourself because you are here in PA right now, and the statement deals with YOU shipping them to yourself, not having someone in your family shipping them to you.

I don't see a way that you can get them at this point in time.
    Yea unfortunately that's what I figured, and I don't want to lose my residency in AZ or I would just go ahead and get a PA license

(Monroe County)

Just a heads up. As we all well know, the law is one thing, some ignorant person's interpretation of it is quite another, LEO included.

The manager at the UPS center in Stroudsburg PA will NOT allow anyone without an FFL to ship handguns for the purpose of a transfer - interstate OR intrastate. Doesn't matter if you're sending it to an FFL or not. They will allow you to ship it to be "fixed". Totally ignorant. Oh yeah, she also insists that all handguns in PA are registered. She also refuses to look at ANY printed information that proves her wrong, including the UPS website, because she's convinced she already knows it all - period. Nice lady, total idiot. I often wonder how such stupid people get to the positions they hold. Takes a long time to become a center manager at UPS.

So, if you're in that area and need to ship, avoid UPS in Stroudsburg unless you want a big confrontation.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Chester County)

I attempted to return a malfunctioning M1 Garand to "The Garand Guy" and the clerk at the main UPS Center in West Chester said that I needed a copy of his FFL to ship the rifle. I stated that I was sending it to him for "repair" and she said she couldn't verify from his title, address, etc... that he was "legitimate"

She then said "It's not like I can recognize the name like Smith and Wesson".

As I continued to plead my case the manager walked out and stated, "Do it our way or not".

Just goes to show, Laws or not, They interpret them the way they feel.
    I did have to go home, call the FFL, await his fax, then drive back. I wanted to shove that FFL right up her.......
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Monroe County)

I have been asked by a local auctioneer about shipping antique civil war era firearms to auction winners who bid online and could be PA residents or not.

Obviously these are pre 1898 firearms exempt from the GCA. (Both pistols and long guns)

He wants to know if he can ship directly or does he need me to ship? I tried to search the BATFE site til I needed to grab the Ibuprophen!

He needs to include fees in response to customer inquiries.

And---- customers present at auction can take possession immediately with no paperwork?

THANKS!
    Gallagher Guns LLC Gun Shop/NRA Certified Instructor -Swiftwater

(Lebanon County)

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Just want to clarify. Im going to be sending Mossberg my shotgun for repair. Planning on using the UPS hub in East Petersburg. Once its fixed, can Mossberg send the shotgun right back to my house? Or must it go back to an FFL or the UPS hub? Thanks
    WE ARE...PENN STATE!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by DTFTH45 View Post
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Just want to clarify. Im going to be sending Mossberg my shotgun for repair. Planning on using the UPS hub in East Petersburg. Once its fixed, can Mossberg send the shotgun right back to my house? Or must it go back to an FFL or the UPS hub? Thanks
    It can be shipped directly back to your house. There is no transfer taking place, so it can be shipped directly to the owner.

However, more than likely you will need to sign for it - which means you'll probably need to be home.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DTFTH45 View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but have you checked to see if that location accepts packages off the street? Just asking cause I'd hate to see you get down there and find out that they don't.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It can be shipped directly back to your house. There is no transfer taking place, so it can be shipped directly to the owner.

However, more than likely you will need to sign for it - which means you'll probably need to be home.
    Ok thanks. If I am back at school. Could my mom or dad sign for me?
    WE ARE...PENN STATE!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question, but have you checked to see if that location accepts packages off the street? Just asking cause I'd hate to see you get down there and find out that they don't.
    I called the Lebanon depot and they said I need to take it to Lancaster. I plan on calling them over lunch break just to make sure Im good to go.
    WE ARE...PENN STATE!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast