Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping Answers (to questions that are often asked)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    Can C&R ffl holders ship handguns via USPS ?
    The way I interpret the regs, and I am not a lawyer, the answer is yes, as long as it is being sent to another FFL holder.

From the BATFE:

Who may ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service?

Federal firearm licensees may send an unloaded handgun in the mail to another FFL in customary trade shipments. Handguns also may be mailed to any officer, employee, agent, or watchman who is eligible under 18 U.S.C. 1715 to receive pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person for use in connection with his or her official duties.

However, postal service regulations must be followed. Any person proposing to mail a handgun must file with the postmaster, at the time of mailing, an affidavit signed by the addressee stating that the addressee is qualified to receive the firearm, and the affidavit must bear a certificate stating that the firearm is for the official use of the addressee. See the current Postal Manual for details.

The Postal Service recommends that all firearms be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

AND;

Does a license as a collector of curio or relic firearms authorize the collector to engage in the business of dealing in curios or relics?

No. A collector’s license only enables the collector to transport, ship, receive, and acquire curios and relics in interstate or foreign commerce, and to make disposition of curios and relics in interstate or foreign commerce, to any other licensee, for the period stated on the license. A collector’s license does not authorize the collector to engage in a business required to be licensed under the Act. Therefore, if the acquisitions and dispositions of curios and relics by a collector brings the collector within the definition of a manufacturer, importer, or dealer, he shall qualify as such. A dealer’s license must be obtained to engage in the business of dealing in any firearms, including curios or relics.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a)(1), 27 CFR 478.41(c)(d)]
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Non-FFL
    Intrastate (within a state) Long Arms (Rifles, Shotguns): A non FFL can ship a long arm to an eligible person or a FFL within the state via common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) or USPS.
    What about FFL - Long Gun - Intrastate transfers?

Sent to private person or FFL?

(Centre County)

As far as I know, no because the buyer has to fill out the 4473 at the FFLs location. In this case, the buyer would have to go to the FFL to do the transaction or the FFL could ship it to the buyers local FFL.

Now, that said, if the long arm had been transferred to the owners personal collection AND he has had if for over a year (calendar), he can then dispose of it two ways:
    1. He can log it back into the business and sell it like any other long arm (4473 required), or
    2. He can sell it like any other private citizen and ship it intrastate with no paperwork (4473 not required). If this is the case, he just needs to record the transaction and be able to prove he personally owned it for a year or longer. Normally this is done through the bound book records.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Indiana County)

The post office has changed it's regulations a bit and also the section covering firearm shipments intrastate between individuals.

It seems you have to mail it in a return to sender if undeliverable fashion, I use Signature Confirmation to satisfy this requirement.

I am attaching a copy of the affidavit that I take to the PO when shipping a long gun.
    If the gun is going to a FFL, I copy the FFL onto the back.

A letter like this may help with postal employees that are too lazy to look up the postal regulations on their own.

If the attachment does not work for you and you would like a copy, PM me.

(Bucks County)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I actually live in CA, but am planning to relocate to Bucks county in the summer of 2012. Doing a cross country move is some complicated planning, so my wife and I are starting our planning early to get everything in order.

I read the sticky and everything sounds pretty straight forward. However, I still come up with a stupid questions to ask. Assuming I have an established address (lease) in PA, can I ship my personal firearms to myself (established address in PA) before I leave CA for good, or do I need to ship to an FFL and transfer them to myself?

I may end up being able to drive them across country, but there are reasons I may need or want to avoid doing that.

Last question is if I do need to ship to an FFL, can some of you provide me with some recommendations on FFL's you've had good experience with in the Bucks country area?

Thanks much for the replies!

(Tioga County)

I read the sticky and everything sounds pretty straight forward. However, I still come up with a stupid questions to ask. Assuming I have an established address (lease) in PA, can I ship my personal firearms to myself (established address in PA) before I leave CA for good, or do I need to ship to an FFL and transfer them to myself?

I may end up being able to drive them across country, but there are reasons I may need or want to avoid doing that.
    There is no federal law against it. Your not doing a transfer, as from one person to another. You may find it difficult to find a common carrier to effect this. You can't ship pistols via the usps. all the carriers I know of insist shipping it overnight express. it's going to be difficult getting there before your goods.
    USNRET '61-'81

Quote Originally Posted by B3ast29a View Post
    You don't mention what kind of firearms or how many you're talking about. Many of us fly with firearms on a regular basis and it's a pretty painless process if you follow the TSA and airline's rules. Just pack them in a locked container in your checked bag according to the rules (and avoid flights to, from, or through New York or New Jersey). There's no registration in Pennsylvania, so you can just bring them with you. We do have some crazy restrictions on transporting handguns here without a license to carry (obtaining one is generally a pretty straightforward process), but taking them to your new home you'd be OK.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the replies. I think you answered my question. It looks like we'll be driving at some point, so I may just transport them myself rather than ship them. That will probalby be the easiest. I don't have a whole lot of guns. 2 hand guns, 3 rifles and a shotgun.

I'll read up on the laws for transporting in my vehicle. I should probably familiarize myself with them for all the states I will cross to be on the safe side. In CA they have to be in a locked container and unloaded. (They consider the trunk of a car, that is not immediately accessible to the driver from the passenger compartment a locked container). Plus I do have locks for all of my guns, as well as a small gun safe for both handguns. As you all may or may not know, our firearm laws are ridiculously restrictive here in CA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by B3ast29a View Post
    I'll read up on the laws for transporting in my vehicle. I should probably familiarize myself with them for all the states I will cross to be on the safe side.
    Transport them in accordance with the federal Firearm Owners Protection Act and you don't have to worry about the state laws - with respect to the firearms themselves. Not sure if state magazine restrictions could apply. But there should be very few (if any) states that have any restrictions between CA and PA.

(Delaware County)

Hi guys, new to the forum and the gun community in general so please excuse my ignorance, I have been reading for the last two days (here and elsewhere) and still cannot come to a conclusion on this.

My situation is as follows, recently got into handgun shooting and competing, I am from Arizona, with an Arizona driver's license, currently working in PA for several months and would like to get my handguns over here (Glock 34 and a CZ 75b), without establishing residency here what are my options. I have called several local FFL dealers and I cannot except shipment here with an AZ license.

Thanks in advance and apologies if I have read through this answer already.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast