Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default G23 blown round in chamber, new mag catch GTG

So Saturday I was at my local club shooting in a fun shoot along with my daughter. I was shooting my G23. I had decided to shoot up a mixed bag of factory hollow points from various manufacturers since I only needed about 150 rounds.

I was on the fourth of seven stages shooting some steel when pulled the trigger and a casing ruptured in the chamber. The round exited the barrel and I immediately dropped the mag and cleared the gun. We then rodded the barrel to make sure it was clear.

I stripped the gun and all looked OK, so I reassembled it and moved onto the next stage. The mag would not stay in after a round was fired, obvious broken mag catch. So for the rest of the day I just did a malfunction drill after every round:embarassed:

Fixed it today, here are some pics of the casing, mag release and cracked up magazine.

Default Re: G23 blown round in chamber, new mag catch GTG

I see from the headstamp that it was Winchester. A couple of years ago we had the same thing happen with a 9mm in a 92, never did find a problem with the rest of the box. Winchester said that it must have been my gun(go figure)but the gave me a box of shells.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(York County)

I have some of the rounds left. Not sure if they make it anymore. They have BBs epoxied into the hollowpoint.- George

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I was on the fourth of seven stages shooting some steel when pulled the trigger and a casing ruptured in the chamber. The round exited the barrel and I immediately dropped the mag and cleared the gun. We then rodded the barrel to make sure it was clear.

Interesting, it ruptured right down the feedramp (where virtually NO barrels are "fully supported") and the "unsupported" .40S&W casing didn't blow out anywhere else.

Yet another reason why I get tired of people who whine about "unsupported chambers" in Glocks being such a big deal.

Glad to see there were no injuries.

(Lawrence County)

It's not a big deal unless you get a face full of scrap when it blows the top of the slide. Had that happen once and it was no fun

LycanALWAYSweareyeprotectionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

It sure makes an arguement for safety glasses! I can't tell you how many people I see at the range who have hearing protection but nothing for their eyes. Oh well, when they are blind, at least they will be able to hear.

(York County)

IF YOU SHOOT WITHOUT EYE PROTECTION YOU ARE AN IDIOT, AND IF YOU ARGUE THIS POINT YOU ARE A BIGGER IDIOT. Rant mode off, I cannot think about the number of times my glasses have caught things that would have injured my eyes.- George

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    IF YOU SHOOT WITHOUT EYE PROTECTION YOU ARE AN IDIOT, AND IF YOU ARGUE THIS POINT YOU ARE A BIGGER IDIOT. Rant mode off, I cannot think about the number of times my glasses have caught things that would have injured my eyes.- George
    I don't think anyone is arguing that point.

The point is that case head ruptures can kick a lot of brass back into your facing cutting you up pretty good and small little glasses aren't going to pass the test.

Simple ruptures like this can blow ejectors off, crack frames and throw plastic from plastic framed guns. I've had nice little pieces of plastic embedded in my hand just from ROing guns that did this.

Lycanspecifythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing that point.

The point is that case head ruptures can kick a lot of brass back into your facing cutting you up pretty good and small little glasses aren't going to pass the test.

Simple ruptures like this can blow ejectors off, crack frames and throw plastic from plastic framed guns. I've had nice little pieces of plastic embedded in my hand just from ROing guns that did this.

Lycanspecifythrope
    That's why I almost always wear Oakleys. Hard to find better protection than them.

(York County)

I wear Oakley for sunglasses but here is IMHO the best bang for the buck in eye protection http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=256

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast