Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Remington

(Washington County)

Default 30 Remington

In the house I moved into recently, we found a couple boxes of 30 Remington. Som google searching shows its one of those way gone rounds of yester year. Something I should hold on to for giggles, or put up for sale?

Or is it viable in another rifle? (IE safe to use and fits a 30-30)

-Bryan

Default Re: 30 Remington

First off, I'm not particularly familiar with "30 remington", but I would advise that you DO NOT shoot that in a different 30 caliber firearm. There are very few firearms that you can safely shoot a different kind of bullet in the firearm, other than what it's chambered for. An example being the .38 special in a .357 magnum pistol, etc. Most of the time, just because two bullets are compatable in terms of bore caliber, the other dimensions of the casings or pressure can make them unsafe to shoot in a different firearm. Keep in mind if the casing was too long, it might not close the action sufficiently to truly go into "battery" but maybe enough to fire and have very bad effects. Maybe it'll go too far into the chamber and not extract properly. Either way, until someone who is very familiar with this particular round speaks up on it, I wouldn't advise it.

I figured I would elaborate a little on this to maybe help you understand this. The .38 special and the .357 both headspace off of the case mouth of the cartridge. This means that the bullet is placed properly in the chamber, based on where the mouth of the case comes in contact with certain parts of the chamber. What you have to realize is that many rifles headspace off of the shoulder, others off of the rim, and some I believe off of where the extractor is at. As I stated, I'm not sure about the .30 winchester or how it headspaces, or case dimensions or anything like that, so I'd advise you to not fire it in a different rifle not chambered for that round.

(Washington County)

I understand that perfectly, like the 7.62 nato round and 7.62x39.

Just dug out the boxes:

Remington Hi-Speed 170 Grain Soft Point
    Core-Lokt
    30 Remington
    Index 2630

Cases stamped:

R-P
    30 REM

Like these - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=71282133

Anyone want to trade for some 7.62x39 ?
    Last edited by Azzy; May 5th, 2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: found photos

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    The .38 special and the .357 both headspace off of the case mouth of the cartridge.
    Just for the record. Rimmed cartridges headspace off of the RIM.

Cartridges like the .40S&W and .45ACP headspace off of the case mouth.

Belted Magnums actually headspace off of the belt.

Bottleneck cases headspace off of the shoulder.

Just a friendly correction

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Umm, I don't see how that's a correction. Isn't the "case mouth" technically the "rim" of the casing? I was merely stating several of the ways that different calibers headspace because I'm not sure what the 30 remington even looks like. If I had done a search I might know, but I was a bit busy and hadn't looked. I do appreciate you trying to correct me and make sure accurate information is presented, but if the "RIM" different from the "case mouth"?

(Centre County)

The mouth of the case is the end where the bullet is seated. Rimless cases headspace here as its the only spot to support the cartridge into position within the throat of the barrel.

Rimmed cases (.357mag, 7.62x54R) headspace on the Rim. (Where the extractor would hook up to) Since the case is supported by the RIM and not the mouth, length of the case is meaningless to ensure proper support. This is why revolvers can fire more than 1 caliber safely.

A good example of why you can't do this with rimless cases is firing a .40S&W out of a 10mm Auto. Sure the bullets are the same, but the only thing supporting the case in the chamber is the extractor which is not designed to do that.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If not i'll try again

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Clinton County)

The .30 Remington is a rimless version of the .30-30 originally made for the Remington model 8 semi auto rifle, it headspaces on the shoulder, not the rim as a .30-30 does. The .30 Remington is NOT interchangable with the .30-30 as headspacing method is different, it might work but is dangerous. It came out along with the .35 Remington which also was originaly chambered in the Remington model 8 rifle.

(Washington County)

Thanks for the info everyone.. good read

Do you still have these? I am maybe interested in taking them off your hands. I have the rifle that these go with, and I have had a terrible time trying to buy some cartridges for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast