Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Newbie Pacific reloader questions

I want to get into reloading .38 Special, to start off. My late father left a Pacific Deluxe C circa '60's, which he used to reload rifle cartridges. I thought I could use this single stage to start out with.
    Can I use another brand shell holder on this press?
    Assuming I need a different size primer seating cup, will another brand work?
    I still have a lot of reading to do, but I'd like to know if I can use this press. I know Pacific is out of business and parts are hard to find.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Newbie Pacific reloader questions

I've never actually used a Pacific reloader or even seen one in person, but shell holders are universal, well at least they are now. If this is from the sixties, it may not be, but just bring along whatever shell holder you have to a gun shop and see if it's the same.

I find that it's much easier to prime a cartridge using a hand primer such as this one from RCBS than to use the one on a single stage press. Furthermore, if you do need to switch seating cup, you'll be likely to spend more trying to find one for your press than just buying a hand primer. You're more than likely going to need a new seating cup (or just get a hand primer!) since most rifle calibers use a large primer and the 38 special uses small primers.

Before getting started, get a couple of good reloading books to read. The best reloading manual is the Lyman 49th edition. Other good choices are the Lee 2nd edition and Hornady 7th edition. Keep in mind that whatever book you read, they're gonna really push their own products... I find this to be especially true with the Lee book.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Newbie Pacific reloader questions

Thanks. The hand primer seems to be a good idea. I'm in the process of reading Lyman's 49th and the Lee's is on its way from Midway.