Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default carried to erie county court house

Not any issues, deputy's were very nice and I didnt know they had gun safes for people there. Guess there a first for everything. Just thought Id let everyone know they do have safes there.

Andrew

Default Re: carried to erie county court house

Wondering...do they have a sign posted about having storage for weapons and did they give you a receipt for your stored gun?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Wondering...do they have a sign posted about having storage for weapons and did they give you a receipt for your stored gun?
    good question I was so freaking nervous about taking my weapon in there I didnt look I just walked up told the deputy I had a firearm, he waves me threw takes me in the back WRITES ME A RECEIPT. Never asked to clear it or touch it I placed it in box took receipt and was on my way.

steve4open from the forum OC's there pretty often and has made sure they where up to standards throughout the whole process.

I ask, because as you may know, they are required to do both under the law and some have been known not to comply with one or both of these requirements.

(d) Posting of notice.— Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility anti at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I ask, because as you may know, they are required to do both under the law and some have been known not to comply with one or both of these requirements.
    ok thanks for the info...As far as the code..lol It was my first time so alittle tence...Ill pay attention next time

Andrew

(Erie County)

I was at the courthouse today. I didn't see a sign about checking firearms but had no problem doing so. The only sign I saw was a warning sign about concealed weapons not being allowed. The deputies were very friendly and professional. Sure beats locking it up in the car.

(Erie County)

I OC there a few times a month to help nervous acquaintances through the process of acquiring their LTCF.

Only once has a negative comment been made about my gun. A deputy overreacted and told me sternly to keep my hands above my waist when I notified him that I needed to check it in, then mumbled about how I made him nervous. I was dressed in an oxford shirt, slacks and a nice tie.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

(Erie County)

Hey everyone.

Sorry to bump an old thread- Yes i know its frowned on most forums upon but I found this forum via googling this question and I wanted to share some info regarding it.

Today I went to Erie County Courthouse on 5th and Peach St to renew my wifes CCW and pay on some taxes and brought my gun with me.

I asked a court officer outside if they had a checkin and he made a quick phone call to the security team to let them know i was coming in.

When i got in, they had me go through the metal detector, filled out a reciept for me, and opened the lockbox. They did not touch the gun or ask to see it and stepped out of the room when i deposited it. they held my CCW permit and put it in an envelope taped to the safe box.

I deposited my weapon in the box and got a yellow receipt.

I then went back through security for my keys/wallet/cell phone and continued about my business.

When i came back the same protocol was followed.
    When checking out I said i have a receipt to pickup my firearm.
    They grabbed my CCW card verified it was me, opened the box for me. I took the gun out myself and reattached it to my internal waist holster-

I signed the receipt and left.

It went very smoothly, but i felt a little weird- as if they don't do this often or its something they don't do on a daily basis.

I just wanted everyone to know that yes you can check your firearms in and you wont be arrested as long as you have your PA License to Carry permit on you and you follow their instructions. ( don't pull it out until they tell you to)

(Erie County)

Me Me Me Me, I want to be first!!!!
    Ahem, in Pa we have a "License To Carry Firearms", or LTCF, NOT a CCW.
    Please make a note of it.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast