Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Police Station Carry Questions - Tour of Station

I think I know the answers to this, but I want to double check and get your input...

Anyway, my daughter's Daisy Girl Scout troop is touring our borough police station this evening. We'll cover every part of the station, including walking past the fingerprinting room, interregation room, and lockup room. We rarely have anyone in lockup (typically taken to county lockup) and I figure that if anyone is in lockup, we'd skip that part of the tour.

I was thinking about carrying (as usual), but I wasn't sure what course of action to take when I arrived at the station.

A. Leave the gun in the vehicle. It would take huge brass ones to break into a vehicle in front of the station, but criminals aren't known for being smart.

B. Take the gun in and check it at the door. I've never done this - and I'm not a fan of extra gun handling.

C. Ask the chief in advance for the station policy and/or his recomendations. Being a member of council, I get along really well with the chief (was talking with him last night) and I'm friends with the officers. I don't think I'd get any flack from him for this - but I'm not a fan of asking permission for legal carry (I know I can't carry in the detention area).

Your thoughts? Your questions? Your comments?

Thanks!

(Venango County)

Default Re: Police Station Carry Questions - Tour of Station

Read here...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...e-station.html

I guess it depends on how big your cahounas are......Mine aren't big enough to do that, LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Read here...

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...e-station.html

I guess it depends on how big your cahounas are......Mine aren't big enough to do that, LOL
    Well my kahunas aren't that big and I've carried in the Police station.

If you have questions regarding carry there then ask, it's no big deal.

(Allegheny County)

I would think the only place that could be an issue would be the lock up area. Would that not be considered a detention facility and hence be a prohibited place? Would it be considered the same way if there was no one in the lock up?

Just thinking out loud..

(York County)

O.S.O.M. -- Out of Sight, Out of Mind...

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    I would think the only place that could be an issue would be the lock up area. Would that not be considered a detention facility and hence be a prohibited place? Would it be considered the same way if there was no one in the lock up?

Just thinking out loud..
    I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "detention area" rule. What constitutes a detention area? The cell itself? The outer room? The hallway that passes by the outer room?

What about the interrogation room? What about the fingerprinting room? Suspects are in both of those locations...and detained by the officers on duty.

I did see DC's thread, which prompted me to start this thread. I get along very well with our chief and officers, so I'm not terribly worried. I just don't want to put them in an awkward position if I cross some imaginary line on the floor and enter (*cue scary music*) "the detention area."

(Allegheny County)

Call and ask?

(Mercer County)

Just got done e-mailing with the chief.

The answer is "A."

Part of the response:
    We are considered a detention facility as we hold people overnight and this would include all of the secure portions of the building.
    Since I'm the first person to really press the issue, they really don't have a policy in place to deal with people who bring firearms to the station.

I couldn't find anything about what is required of them. I know that for a court facility there must be signage and a secure locker provided. I couldn't find any info on a detention facility.

Any help?

(Allegheny County)

Quote:
    We are considered a detention facility as we hold people overnight and this would include all of the secure portions of the building.

Our PD, the public cannot get to the "actual" police area as there is a locked door from the lobby of the borough building. There is a window for during the week. Evenings and weekend you need to use the emergency phone to see an officer.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    Our PD, the public cannot get to the "actual" police area as there is a locked door from the lobby of the borough building. There is a window for during the week. Evenings and weekend you need to use the emergency phone to see an officer.
    Ours is similar. Through the main door is a small foyer. It has the thick glass with the little U-shaped tray to pass documents.

If they "buzz" you in, you enter the lobby. There is a counter for interaction with the police. Beyond that is a pair of hallways, both have locked, fence-type doors that block off the secured area.

I've been all through the building multiple times before, including the firing range in the basement.

I would bet they take the kids all over the building today, as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast