Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default OPEN CARRY LEGAL IN WISCONSIN... FINALLY

Posted in todays Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

By Tom Held and Patrick Marley of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Apr. 20, 2009

Madison - Openly carrying a gun on the street or in a store will attract plenty of attention, particularly from police, but is perfectly legal, according to an advisory issued Monday by state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen.

His memorandum to prosecutors says the mere act of having a gun does not warrant a charge of disorderly conduct, a position that pro-gun advocates have argued in several recent legal cases.

However, packing a sidearm is still likely to give police justification to ask the armed citizen a few questions, Van Hollen said.

"Whereas I don't expect police would ask somebody additional questions just because they are openly carrying a firearm, they shouldn't be immune from questions either," he said in a telephone interview. "It tends to lead to more inquisitiveness by law enforcement, and that's where their discretion has to enter into it."

Reacting to the memo, Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn said he would advise his officers to question anyone out in public with a gun.

"If my officers see someone walking around the City of Milwaukee with a firearm openly displayed, it borders on irresponsible if I were to communicate to members of my community that they can carry that firearm with impunity," Flynn said.

Van Hollen distributed the advisory in response to questions from district attorneys and police officials across the state. Some, Van Hollen said, mistakenly believed the mere act of wearing a handgun in a visible holster amounted to a violation of the disorderly conduct statute.

His advisory was most clear on that point. "The Department (of Justice) believes that mere open carry of a firearm, absent additional facts and circumstances, should not result in a disorderly conduct charge," the Republican attorney general wrote in the memo.

Wisconsin and Illinois are the only two states that do not permit carrying of concealed weapons. But Wisconsin's statutes are silent on carrying weapons openly, such as in a clearly visible belt holster, a practice that has constitutional backing.

That right is not without limitations. Statutes that require guns to be cased when transported in vehicles and those that prohibit guns in taverns, schools and public buildings will be enforced, according to Van Hollen's advisory.

His memorandum serves as guidance to police and prosecutors, who have arrested and prosecuted people across the state for open carry.

In February, Brad Krause was acquitted after being charged in August with disorderly conduct for having a holstered handgun while he did yard work in West Allis.

Then last week, Jesus Gonzalez filed a federal lawsuit against West Milwaukee and Chilton after police officers in those communities detained him for carrying a gun in a holster in a Menards and a Wal-Mart. In both cases, he was taken to jail but not charged.

In his memo, Van Hollen noted that the state constitution protects the right to bear arms.

"A hunter openly carrying a rifle or shotgun on his property during hunting season while quietly tracking game should not face a disorderly conduct charge," Van Hollen wrote. "But if the same hunter carries the same rifle or shotgun through a crowded street while barking at a passer-by, the conduct may lose its constitutional protection."

"The same concepts should apply to handguns," he added, citing the West Allis case. He noted that brandishing or waving a gun in public is not legal, however.

Van Hollen said police retain the right to stop someone who is openly carrying a weapon to investigate possible crimes, including disorderly conduct.

"Even though open carry enjoys constitutional protection, it may still give rise to reasonable suspicion when considered in totality," he wrote. "It is not a shield against police investigation or subsequent prosecution."

Open carry advocates were pleased that Van Hollen had advised prosecutors that it was wrong to use an overly broad interpretation of the disorderly conduct statute. In Wisconsin, which prohibits concealed carry, citizens have no other option to carry out their rights, the advocates maintain.

"It's about recognizing that the right to defend oneself is a natural right and that by openly doing so, it is a wholesome activity," said John Pierce, a founder of OpenCarry.org. "People who open carry do not do so to get attention. They do so to make a political point, in many cases, just like a same sex couple going out of their way to hold hands in public."

The legal aspects of Van Hollen's memorandum were less important than the potential public health impacts, in the mind of Stephen Hargarten, the director of the Firearm Injury Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin.

"What kind of training are these people going to have, and what kind of firearms are they going to be carrying?" Hargarten asked.

Steven Walters of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

Finally my home state is getting the picture..... next.. concealed carry permits....??????

(Northampton County)

Default Re: OPEN CARRY LEGAL IN WISCONSIN... FINALLY

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    Posted in todays Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

"If my officers see someone walking around the City of Milwaukee with a firearm openly displayed, it borders on irresponsible if I were to communicate to members of my community that they can carry that firearm with impunity," Flynn said.
    So it's irresponsible of him to communicate to the members of his community that they can practice a fundamental right that is guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States? What a fucking dirtbag.......it's cops like him that make people hate the police.

(Lebanon County)

You aren't kidding...so we're supposed to bow down and thank them for allowing us, in all their whimsical capricousness, the blessings of their indulgence until they see fit to rescind their everloving graciousness?

How about...BITE ME. We're not kids in the footsie pool at your kids birthday bash. We're paying YOUR FREAKING salaries.
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
    You dig." -Clint Eastwood

(Mercer County)

"If my officers see someone walking around the City of Milwaukee with a firearm openly displayed, it borders on irresponsible if I were to communicate to members of my community that they can carry that firearm with impunity," (Milwaukee Police Chief Edward) Flynn said.
    Talk about sheer arrogance! The "top cop" in the state tells you in a DIRECTIVE (not a suggestive) that OC is legal, so you go on record saying that you basically don't give a crap.

Someone needs to be removed from office for insubordination. Pronto.

(Montgomery County)

Why is it that almost all Police Chiefs of all major cities tend to be liberal douche bags? Oh, that's right, they tend to get hired by liberal douche bag mayors. This is annoying, but hardly surprising. From what I've read in this forum, if you try to open carry in Philly, you may have serious problems with heavy-handed officers.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.