Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Phone call with Temple University's Police Dept today

I am a student at Temple University and recently received my LTCF. I want to begin routinely CCing around Philadelphia but do not want to accidentally carry on campus. The last thing I need is someone seeing my print on some bordering street that is still technically on campus, calling the police, and then getting expelled from school.

I rang up the station and the first person I spoke to, a female officer, could not answer my question. She transferred me to a detective and here is how our conversation played out:

Me: Good afternoon, detective. I am a student at Temple and I plan on conceal carrying a firearm. Obviously firearms are prohibited on Temple's campus so I am afraid that I might accidentally carry my firearm within Temple's further boundaries. I would like to know the exact streets that border Temple's campus so I do not make this mistake.

Detective: Why do you want to carry a gun?

Me: Because I'm an American (I was inspired by Mt. Jack)

Detective: *brief pause* You know you need a license for that, right?

Me: Yes, sir. I have my license.

Detective: Well, the streets are Susquehanna to Oxford and 9th to 16th street - those are the four corners. You need to have your license with you at all times in case you are stopped by a police officer.

Me: I am aware of that sir, thank you.

Detective: Have a nice day.

Me: You too.

I got the information I wanted so I can't say it went too badly, but was it really necessary to ask me "why do you want to carry a gun?"

Just thought you guys would find this exchange interesting. Cheers.
    Last edited by uniballin; April 20th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Phone call with Temple University's Police Dept today

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I got the information I wanted so I can't say it went too badly, but was it really necessary to ask me "why do you want to carry a gun?"

It's Philadelphia, no surprise. An LEO that thinks he has special powers that citizens do not or should not posses.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I am a student at Temple University and recently received my LTCF. I want to begin routinely CCing around Philadelphia but do not want to accidentally carry on campus. The last thing I need is someone seeing my print on some bordering street that is still technically on campus, calling the police, and then getting expelled from school.

I rang up the station and the first person I spoke to, a female officer, could not answer my question. She transferred me to a detective and here is how our conversation played out:

Me: Good afternoon, detective. I am a student at Temple and I plan on conceal carrying a firearm. Obviously firearms are prohibited on Temple's campus so I am afraid that I might accidentally carry my firearm within Temple's further boundaries. I would like to know the exact streets that border Temple's campus so I do not make this mistake.

Detective: Why do you want to carry a gun?

Me: Because I'm an American (I was inspired by Mt. Jack)

Detective: *brief pause* You know you need a license for that, right?

Me: Yes, sir. I have my license.

Detective: Well, the streets are Susquehanna to Oxford and 9th to 16th street - those are the four corners. You need to have your license with you at all times in case you are stopped by a police officer.

Me: I am aware of that sir, thank you.

Detective: Have a nice day.

Me: You too.

Why did you mention carry, or LTCF?
    Just ask what their boundaries are.

That's like calling Red Lobster , and asking if you can carry in their restaurant.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Why did you mention carry, or LTCF?
    Just ask what their boundaries are.
    I figured he would ask me why I wanted to know so I just got it out of the way in my opening statement to him.

Also, I was kind of curious if he would make any remarks or just give the information I requested. I'm bad .
    Last edited by uniballin; April 20th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Please people, stop asking permission to do something LEGAL!!!
    If they have an issue, they will let you know.

I have been wondering about this same issue for a while (only on Drexel's campus) about what actually constitutes the "campus". I don't CC on campus since I graduate in June and would hate to screw it up so close to the end. But my main question is - does the University own the city streets and city sidewalks? If the streets and sidewalks remain the property of the city, then the university can't do anything to you, since you were on public property. I ask that question because if the university does own the streets/sidewalks, then technically I (as a student) can't even drive through the campus (not stopping on campus, just passing through) with my gun in my truck.
    Good luck to you over near Temple!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I have been wondering about this same issue for a while (only on Drexel's campus) about what actually constitutes the "campus". I don't CC on campus since I graduate in June and would hate to screw it up so close to the end. But my main question is - does the University own the city streets and city sidewalks? If the streets and sidewalks remain the property of the city, then the university can't do anything to you, since you were on public property. I ask that question because if the university does own the streets/sidewalks, then technically I (as a student) can't even drive through the campus (not stopping on campus, just passing through) with my gun in my truck.
    Call and find out what their property includes, or the boundaries.
    DO NOT mention guns, or carrying guns!!
    If it is a Public street, or sidewalk, outside their property, they have no jurisdiction.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I go there as well, don't have my license yet (delco's 45 day waiting period) so its not an issue yet but i don't think they could do antthing if its street parking but the garage and lots the prohibit it from being in your car.
    Also check the maps for what buildings the school owns, if they own it handbook says you can't carry there.

(Allegheny County)

You hurt his feelings. As a po-lease occifer, he believes that he is your first and only line of protection, at least until the shit hits the fan and then he'll say "we can't be everywhere."

Gee, when I went to Pitt the chief of the campus fuzz told me that I could carry so I carried all over campus and only had one minor run in with the po-lease.

(Delaware County)

Call and find out what their property includes, or the boundaries.
    DO NOT mention guns, or carrying guns!!
    If it is a Public street, or sidewalk, outside their property, they have no jurisdiction.
    Well I guess you better tell that to the University of Penn police, in Philadelphia, who routinely make car stops on the city streets that travel through the campus area.

Please people, stop asking permission to do something LEGAL!!!
    If they have an issue, they will let you know.
    I really don't see where the OP asked permission to carry, what he asked was what the boarders of the campus were and mentioned why he was asking. Nonetheless what is wrong with asking a question you have to avoid any possible trouble, which you don't want. Personally I like to know what I might be up against, it's not asking permission, it's being informed and being prepared if you proceed anyway.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast