Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Another pistol Endurance test 50,000 rounds and its not a Glock!!

Last edited by mpett1; April 22nd, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Another pistol Endurance test 50,000 rounds and its not a Glock!!

Wow impressive!!

I really don't like the fact that the slide cracked. It makes me NOT want to get the M&P, which I really like.

It should hold up to more rounds than that before something as major as a cracked slide happens.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    I really don't like the fact that the slide cracked. It makes me NOT want to get the M&P, which I really like.

It should hold up to more rounds than that before something as major as a cracked slide happens.
    Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about this. I also think that endurance testing a single gun only provides ancdotal evidence at best. Assuming that most M&P's will break their slide at around 60K rounds, I don't think that's a huge deal. This is a huge assumption, because we really don't know if most M&P's will break their slides closer to 30K or 80K. How many people are ever going to fire any of their handguns 50K times? That's thousands of dollars of ammo even if you reload. If I had the time and money, I would love to try something like this. Also, I'd like to see how many rounds a .40 M&P would shoot before something broke or cracked.
    Last edited by 625; April 22nd, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Montgomery County)

Well I will tell you this. Its better then glocks 1000 round meltdown. Where the guide rod melted.

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    Well I will tell you this. Its better then glocks 1000 round meltdown. Where the guide rod melted.
    Don't bug me at all I tested my glock without a guide rod, just the spring, and it worked fine.

I'm pretty young, and I do expect the pistols I buy now to last me more than 100k rounds, especially the Glock that I own now. I will one day pick up race guns, and shooting two matches a month at 200 rounds per match, thats 5k rounds in one year...just in matches. Let alone practice. I was considering an M&P for production class...this will make me look at them harder. I don't want to be replacing the slide every 5-10 years, or have it crack in the middle of a match.

I love M&Ps. I want one. Just not sure if I want it as my production race gun now.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    Don't bug me at all I tested my glock without a guide rod, just the spring, and it worked fine.

I'm pretty young, and I do expect the pistols I buy now to last me more than 100k rounds, especially the Glock that I own now. I will one day pick up race guns, and shooting two matches a month at 200 rounds per match, thats 5k rounds in one year...just in matches. Let alone practice. I was considering an M&P for production class...this will make me look at them harder. I don't want to be replacing the slide every 5-10 years, or have it crack in the middle of a match.

I love M&Ps. I want one. Just not sure if I want it as my production race gun now.
    Now lets sit back and look at what is said here.
    You go out and buy a lets say $600 dollar gun.
    You run 50K rounds through it which is 1000 boxes of ammo.
    OKAY you still with me?
    Lets just imagine you got the deal of the decade and bought all 1000 boxes at $10 a box~~~~~~~ That means $10 THOUSAND dollars run through a $600 dollar gun.
    Seems fair to me!
    50K rounds through 1 gun without major repairs seems fair.
    You want a gun that will do 100K rounds without failure, IT WILL WEIGH MORE than the Glock or M&P.
    Just my thoughts on the matter,
    P

(Lackawanna County)

My circa 1913 Colt 1911 fired over 70,000 rounds while I had it. Every wear piece was replaced, most twice, except the barrel, but I swear that by the time I bought a new barrel for it the bullets were just falling out of the end of the barrel when you shot the thing. Virtually every round through it was a Western Cartridge Company 230 gr. FMJ, with the nastiest corrosive primers that Uncle Sam used in WWII. It took 27 years for me to get that far; not counting the shipping, the pallet of cartridges cost me $301...for 72K rounds!

It still had it's original slide, frame, trigger group except for the shear pin and return spring, and grips.

If the M&P on average can do that, I'd be damn happy with it!

I love my XD45, but I'm willing to wager that 50K rounds will be awfully rough on it...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about this. I also think that endurance testing a single gun only provides ancdotal evidence at best. Assuming that most M&P's will break their slide at around 60K rounds, I don't think that's a huge deal. This is a huge assumption, because we really don't know if most M&P's will break their slides closer to 30K or 80K. How many people are ever going to fire any of their handguns 50K times? That's thousands of dollars of ammo even if you reload. If I had the time and money, I would love to try something like this. Also, I'd like to see how many rounds a .40 M&P would shoot before something broke or cracked.
    Our M&P did the same thing, round count was probably pretty close. It was a known bug with how they had the tooling setup, and was addressed at the factory. I don't know how many pistols were affected, but when I talked to Todd G. about it, he said S&W was aware of it and dealt with it.

I still have concerns about the guns, and there are a lot of different "versions" of them floating around right now...trigger springs, strikers, mag catches, slide machining, etc.....

Give me a 2nd or 3rd gen Glock, please.

Oh, to whoever whined about "melting" a Glock guide rod....that sounds like the most bullshit "test" ever. If you rip 1k rounds non-stop through anything, it'll overheat and parts will break. Who would do that, other than to just break a gun?

I know of plenty of Glocks which have gone 50k+ on 1 or 2 trigger springs.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Oh, to whoever whined about "melting" a Glock guide rod....that sounds like the most bullshit "test" ever. If you rip 1k rounds non-stop through anything, it'll overheat and parts will break. Who would do that, other than to just break a gun?
    Yeager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI

It did continue to function even after the guide rod melted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast