Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Catch-22 Averted Thanks to Berks Sheriff

I was planing on going to Reading this AM to get my LTCF. I have an expired LTCF issued by Montgomery County but they refused to renew it in Norristown because I moved a couple of hundred yards away in Berks County and now they consider me a non-resident and MontCo does not issue NR.

Over the weekend a friend told me that Berks is now doing "remote" LTCF at some various township buildings and they had just been in Boyertown on Friday. Well, this sounded too good to be true since going to Reading for a LTCF is sort of a Catch-22 in that most people like me usually prefer to have a LTCF before going to Reading.

Sure enough, this AM I checked out Sheriff Eric Weaknect's WebPage and saw that they would be at Birdsboro. I went and was in and out in less than 10 mins. Takes longer to get a new photo driver's license.

As I was leaving I thanked the deputy for being there and mentioned that I thought it was great that they went to remote locations saving people the trouble of having to go to Reading. He mentioned that Eric Weaknect is the first PA Sheriff to do the LTCF issue at remote locations. Well, I for one am glad he did.

Usually the last thing I'll ever do is jump on a politician's bandwagon, but I believe Sheriff Weaknect found out how to get my vote.

Default Re: Catch-22 Averted Thanks to Berks Sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I was planing on going to Reading this AM to get my LTCF. I have an expired LTCF issued by Montgomery County but they refused to renew it in Norristown because I moved a couple of hundred yards away in Berks County and now they consider me a non-resident and MontCo does not issue NR.

Over the weekend a friend told me that Berks is now doing "remote" LTCF at some various township buildings and they had just been in Boyertown on Friday. Well, this sounded too good to be true since going to Reading for a LTCF is sort of a Catch-22 in that most people like me usually prefer to have a LTCF before going to Reading.

Sure enough, this AM I checked out Sheriff Eric Weaknect's WebPage and saw that they would be at Birdsboro. I went and was in and out in less than 10 mins. Takes longer to get a new photo driver's license.

As I was leaving I thanked the deputy for being there and mentioned that I thought it was great that they went to remote locations saving people the trouble of having to go to Reading. He mentioned that Eric Weaknect is the first PA Sheriff to do the LTCF issue at remote locations. Well, I for one am glad he did.

Usually the last thing I'll ever do is jump on a politician's bandwagon, but I believe Sheriff Weaknect found out how to get my vote.
    BTW, there is a six month "grace period" which basically says that your LTCF is valid up to 6 months after the expiration date as long as you remain eligible to have a LTCF.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.*

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.-The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:...

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    And also, NR LTCFs are only issued to residents of other states. In PA, you must apply in the county in which you reside, regardless of what county your previous license was issued in.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; April 20th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

This is exactly why he is doing the remote sites. Elected ones wake up everyday looking for ways to get re-elected.

(Indiana County)

but they refused to renew it in Norristown because I moved a couple of hundred yards away in Berks County and now they consider me a non-resident
    Wouldn't have mattered if your new residence was one foot over the county line. You now resided in a new county.

I live at the junction of three counties (literally). The borough is in Indiana County, all the school kids go to school in Clearfield County, and we all do our grocery shopping just down the road in Cambria County. Oh, and the Cherry Tree mailing address likewise extends into parts of all three counties for rural delivery.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And also, NR LTCFs are only issued to residents of other states. In PA, you must apply in the county in which you reside, regardless of what county your previous license was issued in.
    Yeah, IMHO renew should be quick and simple just making sure you haven't performed any felonious acts since the original issue and I can't imagine any sensible reason for the inconvenience. Particularly since I guess since MontoCo just rubs me the wrong way with their extra nonsense with the bailiwick card and keeping you waiting... But those are the rules they made to the game and they do have that power.

No matter to me now, I'm in Berks and apparently it's much more 2A friendly.

(Montgomery County)

But those are the rules they made to the game and they do have that power.
    No they don't.
    The UFA clearly states what is the sheriffs duty. Problem is that no one has taken them to court over this.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Bucks County)

BucksCo sheriff has had multiple locations for couple years now...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    BucksCo sheriff has had multiple locations for couple years now...
    Well, I never knew and it IS good to know that there are Sheriffs out there that don't see any reason to play silly games with a constitutional right.