Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Glock 17 Jams With Some Ammo - Why?

About a month ago I bought a Glock 17 which is my first handgun. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much because a lingering cough after a minor cold would not go away, and the timing and the weather hasn't been the best to shoot it outdoors. Also, the local club I joined only allows lead indoors.

Needless to say, getting 9mm ammo has really been a chore. I've picked up a box of various brands here and there (definitely know to avoid the Wolf) but don't have much. I've been waiting for around 5 weeks for my order of Winchesters from Cabela's.

Originally, not knowing any better, I bought a large box of 125 grain LRN thinking I could use that at the club. I was very surprised to find that it jammed after almost every round and would not eject the spent cartridge. I started off with just a single round in the magazine and then tried two (figured it was best not to test fully loaded). I even tried another magazine and had the same result.

A local sporting goods store where I've made some purchases warned me that lead is not healthy for Glocks and will really dirty the barrel with lead deposits. I can understand that from a cleaning perspective but am not sure if or why that would cause the jams.

I've put a few American Eagle 115 FMJs through so far (again, limited shooting to date) and they seemed OK.

This past weekend I went to a major gun show and, as expected, ammo was limited in many of the popular handgun sizes (saw hardly any 9mm). But I did run across one dealer who hadn't put all of his wares out yet, and he said he did have some 9mm.

They were from Egyptian military and FMJ. I'm pretty sure he thought they were 115 grain, and he was asking $8.00 for a box of 36 (22 cents each). So I bought all 19 boxes that he had.

When I got home I compared them to the American Eagles, and up close they looked and felt exactly the same. So since Sunday was a nice warm day I decided to put a few rounds through the Glock.

These jammed as well! They fired OK and they seemed to be on target, but the spent casing would not eject and was wedged sideways.

So - what is going on? I can't believe all that ammunition I tried is bad, since I looked at both the Egyptian and the LRN up close and it matches exactly to the American Eagle. Are Glocks really that fussy, or do I have a bad one that should be sent back to the factory for fixing?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Glock 17 Jams With Some Ammo - Why?

I never ran shit-ammo through my G17 when I had it, so I can't say. I can tell you it never jammed on anything I put through it. Try shooting American Eagle(Federal), Winchester, Fiocchi etch and stay away from the garbage ammo.

(Berks County)

My Glock 19 has never jammed - and its been fed various different types of ammo. Without seeing the gun I can't really tell. But my guess is something with the gun itself or magazines and not the ammo.

Do you have other magazines to try? It's possible it's not feeding the ammo correctly.

(Allegheny County)

It may not be the ammo. I have heard that if you do not have a good drip and provide enough resistance to the recoil it can make the action not cycle properly resulting in the stovepipe jam. Try shooting again and make sure you have a good hold and stance. If that doesn't fix the problem I would clean the gun real good.

(Blair County)

No major ammo company regularly sells 9mm lead bullet loads. So I'm guessing what you bought are most likely reloads, which could be out of spec in any direction. If they were loaded light, that could easily cause the malfunction you described. If they were improperly resized, it could also lead to problems.

As for the Egyptian ammo, good luck. It may run, it may not. How good do you really expect third world ammo to be?

If you have problems from ammunition that came from a reputable manufacturer (American Eagle is a good example), and then you have malfunctions, it may be the gun.

Incidentally, I would have taken Wolf over 125 LRNs or Egyptian ammo, all the time every time. Wolf is not high grade ammo, but it's better than some of the stuff that's out there.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Bucks County)

#1 It is a new pistol. To operate the slide properly it might take a couple hundred rounds of premium ammo to "break it in".

#2 unless the slide is too tight, or the ammo is way under powered, I know of an easy way to make a Glock FTE. I have done it many times myself. Use a firmer wrist.

Why don't you want wolf ammo? My 1911 loves the stuff. Aren't Glocks supposed to run anything? The batch of Wolf I just oppened is a little under powered but very consistant.
    Last edited by Jim1911; April 20th, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Venango County)

I would try locking your elbows straight, and holding your wrists solid, and not letting the gun "cam upwards and backwards. I know it's a little strange coming from rifle shooting where you only hold tight enough to keep the gun from flying away. If you are getting Failure to Ejects, this is the most common problem that is seen. The gun could be a a bit tight being new, but I would lean more towards this. You aren't shooting one handed by chance, are you?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Dauphin County)

Some of you Glock guys please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Glock say specifically that you shouldn't use lead bullets with the polygonal rifling. I have heard that that type of rifling gets "clogged" with lead, which can cause excess pressure, and a very dangerous situation.

Also, I have a similar situation with my Springfield XD9, in that it is very picky about what it shoots. It will not shoot the Ultramax Lead round nose in bulk packages from Cabelas. Is that what you are using?
    It doesn't stovepipe, but it doesn't pull the spent casing out of the chamber.

(Philadelphia County)

Your limp wristing the gun

(Erie County)

If you ran American Eagle and it ran ok, more than likely, the other ammo is crap. Probably low powered. I never cared much for AE either but it usually runs fine until I get an out of spec round. As others have said, watch your grip. Weak grip and underpowered ammo will make a Glock sputter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast