Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Glock 17 Jams With Some Ammo - Why?

The very first Glock I bought was the G17.Thousands of rounds through it.
    It only ever jammed once,a smallish woman wanted to try it out. It was a clear case of "limp wristing". She managed to do it twice. We re-arranged her grip a little and she got better. The pistol was just a little too big for her little hands.That pistol will shoot absolutely everything.
    If you can,pick up some WWB. 115 grn.target,that and maybe change your grip a little ,that might do the trick. Those G17's are the most reliable pistols I've ever handled.Gook luck and enjoy.!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Some of you Glock guys please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Glock say specifically that you shouldn't use lead bullets with the polygonal rifling. I have heard that that type of rifling gets "clogged" with lead, which can cause excess pressure, and a very dangerous situation.

Also, I have a similar situation with my Springfield XD9, in that it is very picky about what it shoots. It will not shoot the Ultramax Lead round nose in bulk packages from Cabelas. Is that what you are using?
    It doesn't stovepipe, but it doesn't pull the spent casing out of the chamber.
    Right, that's the reason, it's not that the pistol won't run with lead bullets, but that the lead builds up on the, well, can't really call them lands and grooves, the inside of the riflings.

It's possible that the rounds in question are underpowered, but I would lean toward technique first....get as many variables out of the equation as possible, the biggest one being the shooter....

to the OP, this Glock isn't a ported 17C is it?

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

I use any and all ammo I can get for cheap, including plenty of Wolf. The only time my G19 ever "jammed" was when a new shooter rode the slide with his thumb, having a part of it touching the slide on the left side. It has at least 3000 round through. My G26 has never jammed pushing 1500 rounds. The only underpowered 9mm I've come across is Remington UMC, which doesn't have enough power to push the bolt on my Uzi back and fail to eject/feed on every round. Even those are flawless through both of my Glocks. I'd be VERY surprised that it's the gun, not your technique.

You may want to field strip it, clean, and oil it to see. The only way you can really diagnose it is to have a different/experienced shooter try the ammo that jammed. Or try the same ammo in a different G17.

Al

My Glock 17 shoots anything. I only shoot shit ammo. I just bought 1k rds of Wolf. So far 200rds no jams. I had a few bullets jam in my Glock but it was my fault. I installed an extended mag release, I was drawing and shooting from a holster and every once in a while it would jam. All failure to feed. I found my mag release was hitting my holster and my mags were dropping slightly causing the jams. I filed down my mag release and my holster now no jams. There is something wrong with your gun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Have a good shooter put factory new ammo through it until it jams or you get tired or paying for it.

This reads like user error from either using junk rounds, or grip.

If it continues with another good shooter shooting it, and with brass cased factory new ammo...then let us know.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by stopphillysmrdrrate View Post
    Your limp wristing the gun
    +1

Also lead and polygonal rifling is a no no, you'll notice it starting to build up around 50 rounds... too much and the increase back pressure could cause something bad to happen. You can use lead if you really want to, you probably should just run a bore snake through the barrel when the lead starts building up. If it were me though I'd just buy some quality ammo.

(Delaware County)

only time I've ever seen a glock jam personally was when the g/f was shooting 1 and she was limp wristing it.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Centre County)

I was told repeatedly when I bought my Glock that LRN is a terrible round to shoot as it will clog everything up quickly and cause failures.

It could be limp wrist... but I'd lay a lot of blame on the lead nose.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. After my post I managed to set up private lessons for my wife and myself with an NRA pro about 2.5 hours away (nothing close to local around here). He'll be in a better position to make sure I am using the right technique and can also examine the gun and the ammo. I'll let you know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    No major ammo company regularly sells 9mm lead bullet loads. So I'm guessing what you bought are most likely reloads, which could be out of spec in any direction. If they were loaded light, that could easily cause the malfunction you described. If they were improperly resized, it could also lead to problems.

As for the Egyptian ammo, good luck. It may run, it may not. How good do you really expect third world ammo to be?

If you have problems from ammunition that came from a reputable manufacturer (American Eagle is a good example), and then you have malfunctions, it may be the gun.

Incidentally, I would have taken Wolf over 125 LRNs or Egyptian ammo, all the time every time. Wolf is not high grade ammo, but it's better than some of the stuff that's out there.
    I use home loads with lead heads with no problems. But it I use hard 115 grains, copper coated bullets, the gun does not eject the spent case. It is stuck in the chamber with the next round up its ass. The hard ammo works fine with other 9mm guns I have. What is the problem with the Glock17?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast