Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting Too Expensive to Shoot!

Man... tried to find some Winchester White Box 9mm and 45 auto tonight and for the past week. My regular stock is dwindling. Not sure I am going to continue to be able to shoot!!! Even my reloading friends are starting to get concerned. A couple of IDPA matches and you are out 200 rounds!! Seems like the only ammo on the shelves anymore are hollow points at about or over a $1.00 a round.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Getting Too Expensive to Shoot!

http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger.aspx
    http://georgia-arms.com/45acp.aspx

Haven't tried it yet, but heard good reviews of it.

Locally, try the Army & Navy on Grape St. in Whitehall, as they usually have Federal American Eagle .45 there for $20/box... not cheap, but not expensive, either. Once in a while they'll have 9mm, but I forget the price.

I hear ya, though, two weeks ago I was running around the Valley frantically trying to stock up on cheap .40 ammo to shoot, as now I'm burning through about 200 rounds per week. When this current stash runs out, though, I'm going to try some of the Georgia Arms stuff.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

No doubt about it, it is getting VERY expensive to shoot regulary. Like most people I have cut back on centerfire ammo and really increased shooting my 22's. You are also right about handloading supplies being expensive- Im starting to cast bullets again, as I said on another thread. However, if we quit shooting regularly, let our gun club memberships expire, let our skill deteriorate along with our support for the 2nd Amendment - we will be just where a lot of politicians want us. Let's try like Hell not to let that happen!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Try shooting your .22 more often. The .22 is still under $20.00 a brick.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Try shooting your .22 more often. The .22 is still under $20.00 a brick.
    And consider .22 conversion kits for those guns of yours that can be converted.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the info gents! .22 is still cheap. However, I bought a 9mm for a number of reasons, particularly, its affordability to shoot. Just a very short time ago, a box of 100 rounds WW box cost about $12. Now, its almost $30!! if you are lucky enough to find it. Other than to bitch, there is nothing that can really be done. Its all supply and demand.

(Northampton County)

Well, FWIW, two days ago I placed a small order for .40 ammo with Georgia Arms, and their website says they should ship in 5-7 weeks... I'll post a review when I get it.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cambria County)

It is never to expensive to shoot.

Do you drink. Stop. That beer money can be better wasted on buying ammo. You will find you can buy a lot more ammo, if your like me, and drink good expensive beer. Don't even buy the cheap beer. It is all money that you can spend on ammo.

Cheap ammo. It don't exist. Face it, your going to have to pay a few pennies more and buy the more expensive ammo. Don't buy a box or two. Buy it by the case. Your going to save money in the long run. Buy it now. Cause the price may keep going up. So, even though it cost more than your use to, it may get worse. Get it while you still can at least afford it.

What kind of a car you driving. Get less then 28 MPG. Stay home more often. That money your wasting on gas could be used to buy ammo. Walk more. Most of us could use the exercise anyway. Maybe you can break out that old bike you use to ride. Every trip on it means more money to buy ammo.

Don't eat out anymore. Cook your meals and eat at home. First you will save gas, unless you rode your bike, and then it is cheaper to eat at home. And you can cook a much more healthy meal to boot.

Get rid of the 45's and 40's and get the 9mm like you should have a long time ago. You can shoot a heck of a lot more 9 ammo for the same money you spend on 45 and 40 ammo. This also gives you another reason to buy a new pistol. (Hold onto the 45 and 40. Ammo is sure to be easy to find again and prices will come back down)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

doesn't seem like georgia arms is taking orders for 9mm or 45acp at the moment among other things

Quote Originally Posted by pa350z View Post
    Thanks for the info gents! .22 is still cheap. However, I bought a 9mm for a number of reasons, particularly, its affordability to shoot. Just a very short time ago, a box of 100 rounds WW box cost about $12. Now, its almost $30!! if you are lucky enough to find it. Other than to bitch, there is nothing that can really be done. Its all supply and demand.
    Absolutely correct on the supply and demand. The ammo factories are running 24/7 and still can't keep up. It's sort of like what your local grocery store looks like as soon as the weather man says a snow storm is coming the day before. Everybody panics and the grocery stores shelves are bare. Me included. Or better yet the whole cabbage patch kids craze, Tickle me Elmo, and the gas crisis. This too will pass. The big winners here? The ammo factories, thus driving the price of ammo up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast