Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Beretta 92FS hammer spring Q

I want to know, I have read some about putting a 1911 spring into a Beretta 92FS to make the trigger pull nicer.
    Which 1911 spring and it goes where in the Beretta?
    I have lots of spare new springs for my 1911s and would like to know exactly where/how the 1911 spring goes in!
    Thanks for any info you may have!
    Is there anything else I can do to make it have a better trigger?
    I figured out the mainspring part with my friend Google, Sorry, But I found it this time.
    WHat else can I do?

Peter
    Last edited by pred; April 20th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS trigger spring Q

The only sping that is sorta kinda interchangable is the recoil spring. On the 92 and the 1911 they have a similar shape but there would be no gain in doing this.

I recomend using all Wolf springs if you feel like you are having an issue.
    http://www.gunsprings.com

As far as making the trigger better, there are two options.

1. A reduced strength hammer spring will soften the pull but you have to buy a few different strengths in order to find the one that will make your 92 function and give you the deseried pull. Too light and the gun won't go bang.

2. Turn it over to a gunsmith known for their superb action jobs, wait 4 to 6 weeks and you will have a great 92.

Try to keep in mind however that unless you have a 92D (double action only) that hard double action pull only happens on the first round. It is smooth crisp sailing after that.

(York County)

I tried replacing the hammer springs on my 92FS.

I purchased the assortment pack from Wolff size 16-19 lbs.
    From what I understand the factory spring is 20 or 22 lbs, so I installed the 17lb spring, and I cannot see any differance.

I hear a lot of guys go with the 16 lb or (D) spring so I will try that next, but I don't anticipate any differance in that either.

The spring is easy to install so what the hell.

I have heard great things about this guys work, so maybe you might want to consult him.

http://www.olhasso.com/PS/services.htm
    Timor mortis morte pejor.

(Bucks County)

I have 2 Berettas 92FS's...One has a D spring and one has the factory spring. The difference is subtle but there. There are also competition springs which are even lower...but then you start really running into the risk of having light primer strikes.

The D spring is factory on DAO models.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta Bob View Post
    I tried replacing the hammer springs on my 92FS.

I purchased the assortment pack from Wolff size 16-19 lbs.
    From what I understand the factory spring is 20 or 22 lbs, so I installed the 17lb spring, and I cannot see any differance.

I hear a lot of guys go with the 16 lb or (D) spring so I will try that next, but I don't anticipate any differance in that either.

The spring is easy to install so what the hell.

I have heard great things about this guys work, so maybe you might want to consult him.

http://www.olhasso.com/PS/services.htm

(Allegheny County)

I put a 1911 hammer spring (main spring?) into my 92, it made a world of difference and didn't change reliability.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS hammer spring Q

the first key to a good trigger pull is a clean gun. dirt will make the trigger pull feel heavy and spongy. the 2nd is smooth bearing surfaces.

if you feel comfortable pulling the lower completely apart you can polish all the engagement surfaces. this will make the trigger pull feel nice and glassy. another thing you can do but be careful with this one is to improve the sear engagement angle and amount of sear engagement surface.

the engagement angle is generally positive from the factory meaning as you pull the trigger the sear actually cocks the hammer back slightly. it only takes a little of this to increase pull weight, but with it there is next to no risk of the gun going off due to shock, because the weight of the hammer spring locks the sear into engagement. negative angle is dangerous because it puts some of the hammer spring force onto the sear spring. and makes "push off" possible, meaning if you push on the hammer it will disengage the sear and possibly go off.

engagement surface can be reduced to make the trigger pull shorter. once again be careful because too little can cause the gun to become unsafe.

(Washington County)

Here's a helpful link for anyone who has a 92fs. http://www.beretta92fs.com/

It covers disassembly and reassembly of many components (with video.)

Specifically, the video entitled "Removing mainspring (changing for 'D' spring)" may be helpful for the OP.

(Cumberland County)

Pred,

I put a "D" mainspring in my 92FS and it made a noticeable difference (to me) in both DA and SA pull. Even though the 92 is already smooth as hell and gets back on target quickly, the change really helped me shoot double taps. If possible, I try to file the "bearing surface" flat on the springs I retrofit. I'm not a gunsmith at all, but I think it helps...and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I ordered mine from this site and had no problems: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/index.htm
    Last edited by munk; June 3rd, 2009 at 11:47 PM.

(Bucks County)

If you shoot at Ready AIM Fire! in Bristol PA, you can have Dave Olhasso leave the parts behind the counter and pick them up instead of having them shipped. I did this when I purchased my D spring. As I said before, it makes a difference, but really not as much as you'd expect. The 92FS is pretty smooth to begin with.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by munk View Post
    Pred,

I put a "D" mainspring in my 92FS and it made a noticeable difference (to me) in both DA and SA pull. Even though the 92 is already smooth as hell and gets back on target quickly, the change really helped me shoot double taps. If possible, I try to file the "bearing surface" flat on the springs I retrofit. I'm not a gunsmith at all, but I think it helps...and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I ordered mine from this site and had no problems: http://www.olhasso.com/PS/index.htm