Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wicen's Farm

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Wicen's Farm

Wicen's also is very supportive of my son's Boy Scout troop -- we have a weekend campout there every spring to teach the boys basic marksmanship and safe gun handling. The Wicens go out of their way to make us welcome and help teach the boys.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    Wicen's is fine for:
    People who don't shoot often(like 2-3x a yr)
    People who live close-by and won't drive more than 5 miles to range
    People who are too lazy to seek out gun clubs to join, don't want to be bothered with "memberships"
    People who have ALOT of extra money to piss out the window if shooting on regular basis(2-4x a month or more).

If you fall into any of the above, then by all means, enjoy your time at Wicen's.
    I know your post here is a few months old, but I've got a question about one of your "points".

Regarding gun clubs and memberships.........Some of us are, shall we say, restricted in our free time due to job(s)/family and need something fairly close by. So.......I have found a club or three that I would be interested in joining. But, and you KNEW there would be a "but", I work 3 pm to midnight, five nights a week, and it seems that the membership requirements are that you attend a meeting or two which are on weeknights.

So, for those of us with very restrictive schedules, what would you suggest? Keep in mind I'm not being a smart ass here, just looking for some input. Otherwise, Imma hafta check out Wicen's.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by s.bass73 View Post
    I know your post here is a few months old, but I've got a question about one of your "points".

Regarding gun clubs and memberships.........Some of us are, shall we say, restricted in our free time due to job(s)/family and need something fairly close by. So.......I have found a club or three that I would be interested in joining. But, and you KNEW there would be a "but", I work 3 pm to midnight, five nights a week, and it seems that the membership requirements are that you attend a meeting or two which are on weeknights.

So, for those of us with very restrictive schedules, what would you suggest? Keep in mind I'm not being a smart ass here, just looking for some input. Otherwise, Imma hafta check out Wicen's.
    When i was a member of Bucks County Fish and Game (which is not that far from Wicen's) I never attended a meeting, just sent them a check every year.

(Montgomery County)

s.bass has prompted me to chime in, too.

I checked out Wicen's recently when some friends came to visit. Because I'm not a member of any range/club at the moment, we were looking for a public range set up for handgun, rifle, and shotgun. Other than Wicen's, I don't recall finding any in SEPA.

Here's what I liked about Wicen's:
    1. You can show up and shoot.
    2. They're set up for handgun, rifle, and shotgun.
    3. They run a tight ship with regards to safety. In my eyes, there were a ton of range officers there, and boy, were they watchin' close.
    4. As far as I could tell, the people running the place are not lib gun owners (if you have to ask what I mean, then you yourself may be a lib gun owner).

Here's what I really, really hated about it:
    1. The rifle range is split up into permanent lanes which are delimited with little huts equipped with benches. The roof of each hut is sloped downwards in the down-range direction. The significance? You must sit down in order to shoot rifle. This isn't only a result of the small hut, but a Wicen's rule (according to the range officer overlooking my group).
    2. Also annoying and along the same lines as the previous item: the handgun lanes have huts with benches, too. These huts, however, are tall enough that you can stand up in them (if you're not a giant); also, you're not required to sit while shooting handguns.
    3. They run a tight ship with regards to safety. There is a PAFOA thread (it may be this one) in which someone says that they had range officers all over them during their first visit to Wicen's. While I didn't observe this very much while it happened, I know it did. At one point I was removing some pistols from my range bag while facing downrange when I heard, "Very nice gun-handling! Thank you!" A compliment, no doubt, but I found it to be very strange. One plus, in my opinion, is that actions must be opened and all shooters must step away from the firing line during ceasefires. Other "safety" rules: three seconds between every round fired (yes, you must count), the aforementioned rifle huts, and the first-timer qualification for each of handgun, rifle, and shotgun.
    4. This one actually made me laugh. One of my friends received a shotgun from me on the day we went to Wicen's (wedding gift). I gave him Hornady TAP 00 buckshot and some Remington #4 buckshot and told him to send a few rounds downrange. He attempted to do this while my other friend and I were on the handgun range, but he soon rejoined us: the shotgun range officer told him that both the 00 and #4 shot were "way too large" for their shotgun range. His response to the shotgun as a wedding present was, "That's a paranoid wedding present." (OK, they have at least one lib range officer.) Also, the shotgun range is apparently only for clay pigeons or some such fake animal.
    5. While on the handgun range, the man in the lane to our left was seriously mishandling his pistol (we determined that he was somewhat mentally disabled). It must have been a broom, because he was sweeping our direction quite a bit. Now, if you recall, I said that the Wicen's range officers run a tight ship with safety. Not so in this guy's case. I am almost certain that he knew someone who worked for the range, based on the way they treated him with the muzzle sweeps and after he declined to retrieve his target stand during a ceasefire.
    6. The mandatory range qualifications. I see where they were coming from, but this didn't prevent me from feeling like I was in first grade.
    7. The cost--it adds up quickly (from what I understand, it's alleviated slightly during subsequent visits since you don't have to re-qualify).

I realize that it's their place and they can do what they want with it. While I would recommend Wicen's if you're in a bind, I don't think I'll go back. That may not make much sense, so I'll try and clarify: I needed to shoot and Wicen's fulfilled this need, but I wasn't satisfied with the entire experience.

Let me know if I can answer questions.
    Last edited by TinGLOCK; July 15th, 2009 at 01:21 AM. Reason: I'm a member of the Watchmen and I can do what I want.

(Montgomery County)

Great review, TinGlock. I will certainly keep all of that in mind during my "quest".
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(Montgomery County)

No problem. Glad to help.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234